• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nintendo to End Support for Original NES

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
5,955
If you would’ve told me that Nintendo supported repairs on units that were over 24 years old, I would’ve laughed at you. Believe it or not, the Big N is just now terminating service for the original NES.

Nintendo has reportedly decided to stop all repairs of the original Nintendo after 24 years of support, Agence France Presse reported on Friday. A spokesperson said that the company has decided to end support due to increasingly short supplies of replacement parts. The iconic game system was sold as the Nintendo Entertainment System in the US and Europe, and as the Famicom in Japan.
 
Wow. Most companies stop support for things after a maximum of 5 years or so. That's pretty impressive.
 
Yea they haven't supported in for a while now in the US. Japan was where it was still supported. Kinda interesting they still were trying to repair them.
 
What?!? NO!!!!
I keep blowing and blowing on the cartridge and it still doesnt power on, what am i supposed to do now?!?
 
is it sad that i still have one that semi work? or sadder that I still play it on occasion when I go to my grandmothers?
 
Not a big deal really. Tons of excellent emulators out there that play nes games with gamepad support.
 
is it sad that i still have one that semi work? or sadder that I still play it on occasion when I go to my grandmothers?

You'd be surprised.I know a guy locally who earns a decent living just selling older game systems and cartridges,he said the original NES games are by far his biggest sellers.There are even "combo consoles" available that play both NES and Super Nintendo cartridges.
 
Tell me about it.The sad part is the NES is now considered a "classic".I'm just considered ancient! :(

i still cant get beyond....t-w-e-n-t-y f-o-u-r y-e-a-r-s

like, it even sounds long when i read it out loud....or is that me talking slower......BAH!:(
 
is it sad that i still have one that semi work? or sadder that I still play it on occasion when I go to my grandmothers?

I still have a working one. I also have a working Atari 2600, only thing that does't work is the paddle controllers. Need to try to get a working set off of ebay one of these days.
 
Wasn't the NES released in 1985, making it 22 years? Or possibly sooner in Japan? From doing a search it looks like it was released in 1985 to me.
 
Wash it with water.

Don't do that. 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water. Clean thoroughly with qtip, dry after cleaning is done. Water will just further the corrosion of the contacts.

it would be cool if they released the schematics.

NOAC's (Nintendo on a Chip) have been available for a while. After Nintendo lost that lawsuit against them, cheap NOAC-based units, such as the 'Family Boy' and other knock-offs flooded the market. One of the most popular right now is the FC Twin, which can play most NES and SNES games.

Personally, I use one of the Generation NEX systems. I like the old-school look and it's tiny.

On that note, anybody remember the game/gun sets they used to sell at malls and flea markets a couple years back? The Super Joy III was amazing, and one upped the traditional NOAC by offering a perfect reverse-engineer of the NES' sound chip. It's the only one that I have ever known that has 100% compatibility with all the NES games, but they're impossible to find. Most of them got seized by the Feds.

Yoou can still order the card edge connectors for the NES.

Number one fix for these. Normally, if you're a stickler for OEM, this will do the trick and breathe a new life into your machine.
 
What?!? NO!!!!
I keep blowing and blowing on the cartridge and it still doesnt power on, what am i supposed to do now?!?

Up to this day, I still don't know why blowing on the cartridge made games work on NES. It's like human saliva is the magic fluid for NES games, w/o it... there's no life. Anyhow, I still don't know why games just not work (even brand new ones)
 
I feel old as well, Im only 33 but i still have my original Colecovision/Intellivision/Atari2600/NES and just about every other damn system that ever came out. I remember my parents rushing out to buy new systems my Dad at the time was really into them, And now that im older and have a 12 week old son i hope to pass Gaming down to him hehe.
 
The article also says they are ending the SNES support too.

I have an old SNES, still working presumably, or was last time I tried it. Just recently I ordered a USB converter that lets me plug in my SNES gamepad into my computer. Works great, much better feeling using an emulator with an authentic gamepad.
 
i'm looking at my busted NES right now.... so please hang me in the "CRAP I wish I'd known they still did repairs" section. I'd have paid quite a bit to get it working.
 
Back
Top