Nintendo Switch Meets VR: How Well Does It Work?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A patent from last year suggests that Nintendo will be jumping on the VR bandwagon with a headset that will house the Switch tablet. Some fans have decided to experiment early and get an idea of what the experience may be like. Considering that the Switch is not only bulky but also features a low-resolution screen, are we merely on course for another Virtual Boy moment?

…YouTuber Nintendrew decided to leapfrog past Nintendo’s R&D team and use some workaround solutions to see what the screen looks like inside of a VR device. Using a tablet-focused VR headset called the Durovis Dive 7, he found that the Nintendo Switch actually fit just perfectly. From there, he recorded his own footage of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D from the Nintendo 3DS and displayed it back as side-by-side footage on YouTube. Then, he just had to slide his way into the Switch’s web browser, pull it up on YouTube, and he was good to go.

playing a video in 3d is not the same as a game. So he is NOT testing the vr headset on the switch like he states he is. Somebody needs to make a game and test it that way. Otherwise all you are saying now is that you can watch videos on it just like your phone or a tablet.

Wtf...at a bare minimum he should have put the thing on and moved around like you would in a game, and maybe relay the experience? That's the only reason I pushed play on the stupid movie. Is it too heavy, what's the battery life (I would guess less than half) like 20 minutes, how bad is the screen door.

It's ad click bait. It is just turning the switch into a headset, that's all. Nothing to do with VR.

I'm thumbs down #854

As has been said, this just proves nothing.

Plus, with Nintendo, I can see them coming out with a "second screen" for the headset. Yet another accessory for the switch.

Lol vr on a 6.2" @ 720p screen... yaaa no go away.

No shit, huh? Doesn't sound good to me at all. 1080p looked pretty bad on the DK2...720p is too little outside, maybe, some novel games. Certainly too low for anything "serious" in my opinion.

The pixel density is the killer on that one. The screen is just not up to being that close to your face.

Also you dont need to damned joycons attached which will reduce some weight but tis sill pretty hefty and will hurt your neck after a while

Lol vr on a 6.2" @ 720p screen... yaaa no go away.

Yeah, chuckled at that one as well. It can't even maintain 30fps. Still a cool device but VR is a joke or click bait like someone else mentioned.

Back