Nintendo Switch audio routed through Soundblaster Z for real 5.1

Hielo_loco

Weaksauce
Hi guys!

I was wondering if any of you knows about ANY way to get the Nintendo Switch audio into a PC to output it through an analog 5.1 speaker setup.

I understand that the problem is that Nintedo, to avoid paying royalties, only allows the Switch to output sound in PCM 5.1 through its HDMI. Apparently "audio extractors" do not work because when they split the AV stream in HDMI, the optical audio out can only handle stereo PCM.

Parallel to that issue, apparently the optical input in the Soundblaster Z for example, only accepts Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1, and it only accepts PCM input in stereo.

Is there any sort of device I can use to get a discrete 5.1 signal from the switch to my speakers?

You might be able to accomplish this by using an HDMI splitter to an HDMI capture card and then telling the capture card to output audio through your SBZ. Looks like capture cards are around $200.

The “device” you are looking for is a normal home theater receiver.
Bwahahaha you got me. The thing is, my pc in my room is the center of all my entertainment. I barely ever watch the TV in my living room, so I was hoping to get a solution that I could hook up to my pc. Well, right now I'm hooking up the Switch to my monitor through hdmi, and from there i connected the headphone out to the sound blaster line in. I get upmixed surround, which sounds ok. I'll just have to settle for that I guess.

Back