nintendo revolution question

i know your supposed to be able to download games from all previous nintendo consoles but i have a question, whats it gonna be stored on? it seems way to small for it to be a internal harddrive, surley nintendo isnt going to have an ugly exterior one are they?

Hey, they make some pretty small hard disks, I have a Rio Karma, its a 20 GB MP3/Ogg/WMA player, and it fits in the palm of my hand.

Xipher said:
Hey, they make some pretty small hard disks, I have a Rio Karma, its a 20 GB MP3/Ogg/WMA player, and it fits in the palm of my hand.
yeah, archos has a video player 12cm long with 100gb drive in it, but still that bitch is $799 :eek:and what if you download 20 some games for gamecube and run outa space

IIRC the games for download will be stuff like from the original Nintendo I think, and I doubt those are very large.

im pretty sure its for every nintendo console, if its not for gamecube i might not bother to even pick one up

if so they might use a sort of cache system, similar to Steam, where you unlock a game, and then you can play it on the console by downloading the needed files, cleaning out any you don't play any more for space. It wouldn't be perfect, but possible.

Ballz2TheWallz said:
i know your supposed to be able to download games from all previous nintendo consoles but i have a question, whats it gonna be stored on? it seems way to small for it to be a internal harddrive, surley nintendo isnt going to have an ugly exterior one are they?

The Revolution is planned to have 512MB of onboard flash memory for game saves/game downloads from what I've heard.

Keep in mind too guys, most NES emulators are under 1 mb easily, with SNES games being under 5 mb too; the Cube might be a different story however but even it can probably be under a Gig or so....

Blakestr said:
Keep in mind too guys, most NES emulators are under 1 mb easily, with SNES games being under 5 mb too; the Cube might be a different story however but even it can probably be under a Gig or so....

At that point I would just buy the Gamecube disk, since it can accept them.

I doubt cube games will be downloadable. For something like RE4 it would be over 2 gigs most likely since it comes on two disks and the disks hold 1.8Gb. I would guess they will release only up to the N64.

The Gamecube games aren't downloadable due to the size, but you can just use the original discs. The other things are stored on the upgradeable 512 MB flash memory. Typical sizes of the older games:

NES: 100 KB - 500 KB
SNES: 0.5 MB - 4 MB
N64: 8 MB - 32 MB

Unless you want to download and hold onto a lot of games at one time, I don't think the included storage will be an issue for many. Hopefully the capacity can be upgraded with a non-proprietary format like SD or CF.

The rev also has an (maybe more than one I guess) SD card slot so it is expandable.

This is the system I am looking forward to...hopefully they don't screw it up, making Nintendo going the way of Sega.

Squishead said:
This is the system I am looking forward to...hopefully they don't screw it up, making Nintendo going the way of Sega.

They would have to screw up more than once more to do that, they have a LOT more reserves than Sega did.

Anyone know how big the Rev is going to be? Like a comparison or something?

Squishead said:

Doubt it. I'm a Sega fan, but Sega REALLY screwed their company over in the 93-95 era.

I believe the Revolution has 2 SD ports, allowing expandable memory to your heart's content. However, the included 512 is more than enough to store most people's downloading NES-N64 games. Molgera is right about the typical sizes, as I've done a lot of work with emulation myself. Hell, even with N64 games they could stream them through the internet just fine, if you don't want to save it locally.

Cube games won't be downloadable, but obviously they will be selling the discs in stores/online cheaper than they're selling them for now. The older 3 systems will be emulated, though, and there are viscious rumours that Sega and Nintendo are talking about throwing a Genesis emu on there too. Don't get too excited about that one, though... the likeliness of that happening is small.

Have they talked about prices for this downloadable content? Are people going to have to rebuy games they purchased 10-15 years ago?

To me, it seems like a huge oppurtunity for nintendo...could you imagine if they released like 100 of the greatest NES, SNES games, and so on...for free???

They haven't talked about prices, no. People are estimating that NES games will be $2-10, SNES games will be 5-15, and N64 games will be 15-30. But these are just people on the 'net estimating. Nobody really knows. What we do know for a fact is that Nintendo and some of the third parties will definately be giving away games for free. Things like contests, signing up for newsletters, unlockables in games, and even game purchases (i.e. "buy the new Mario Kart and receive the SNES version free") will equate to some free titles. I'm sure the system will come with a few free downloads as well. So no, you shouldn't expect free games - especially when they plan on making dough off these things to pay for their bandwidth costs and keeping their centralized online service free.

Will we have to pay for games that we bought 15 years ago? Probably. I don't see how they could make a fail-safe system of verifying that you owned the game, nor how much time it would take. But they have promised that there may be some enhancments to old games, too. For instance, for N64 games they are saying that they'll run smoother, in a higher resolution, and possibly sport some AA/AF. They are also thinking of re-compiling some of the NES games to work with the new control scheme. So I think they're thinking about some incentives for getting you to pay your $5 again, and I guess I wouldn't mind.

More than likely, you'll see NES/GB-Orig-color-adv/SNES/n64 games on the system, with the possible inclusion of a few Virtual Boy games (the very few there were). GCN games will NOT becoming a part of this, as they're still readily availiable, and the capacity on those small DVDs is ~1.5gb (source). Speculation around the Flash-mem is stated to be in the area of 512, but we all know periphs = profit, so you'll be sure to see larger cards availiable for purchase, of course. I'm sure we'll see about 5-10 different attachments for the controller itself, as well. But the developers WILL/DO have a say in what periphs are created(think Donkey Konga), but 2-4 is a much more acceptable number to conserve on overhead. This is my speculation, and urm, I'm sorry your head now hurts. :/

It is confirmed that 512mb of flash memory will be installed in the console, and it is also confirmed that standard SD cards will be used for expansion - so that's one area where Nintendo is going to forego profits.

The controller attachments will be there, but like this gen Nintendo will make sure that they are cheap, and included, with games. (i.e. the microphone and the kongas only bumped the game cost up by 5 or 10 bucks)

No word on the GB/VB emulation, though. They've just confirmed the consoles. Gamecube games will be read off disc-only, though.

Back