• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nintendo handhelds

TekRok

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
2,279
Why are they so ugly, and poorly designed?

Some background. I am an iPhone 5S and latest MBP 13" user, I like simple modern design. Recently I went out to get my younger brother a Nintendo 3DS XL system to play Pokemon Y. I got to play with it for a little bit after he opened it and I just couldnt understand how in today's tech world such a poorly made system can make it...

I used to play on the Gameboy color myself, which was amazing for its time, but it was also very well made, and still is (I still have the system still but dont play it). Coming from an iPhone to a 3DS is like playing the original Gameboy in terms of feel and quality. Dont get me wrong the games are amazing for what they are, and that is the main reason why the damn systems sell, but why cant they design something sleek? Surely they cant be targeting kids only, there are collectors and fans of all ages, why make such a piece of crap? The buttons on the side slide all over the place as if they are made of paper. Plastic is cheap and inconsistent in terms of finish.

Compared to Sony Vita, the 3DS is like a dinosaur in terms of design.
I would honestly purchase a system if it was well made just to play some Pokemon here and there (nostalgia). I know most people couldnt care about design, but almost everything I own is design oriented, including my car.

How are they getting away with such a shitty designed system? Who is the person approving these designs?
 
How are they getting away with the design? Because people like your brother don't care and only want to play the games.

Your iphone 5s is well designed but it also costs $500+, you're paying for that design. The 3DS costs $150, they have to keep costs down and design is one place to they can cut costs. People didn't want to pay $250 for it at release, fewer people would buy it if it costs even more.
 
This might be the most hilarious thing I've ever read.

It's a simple portable system, that gets its point across: nice large screen, solid button layout, decent feeling in hands, cheap, and a semi-ok 3D effect for a bonus.

It's cheap. Your iPhone and Macbook aren't. Not saying I'm directly comparing the two, but the different between expensive, elegant (yet simple) design, and cheap plastic, is pretty insurmountable.
 
What the fuck are you on?

What am I on? I guess I came to a realization on how poorly the device is made and designed after not having picked up a single Nintendo product since Gameboy Color. The company is stuck in 2005 when it comes to design.

I also think you guys are giving Nintendo a free ride here because they are Nintendo. Sony Vita was marginally more in price, but quality wise it was years ahead of the Nintendo in terms of specs and build quality (It just didn't have any good games).
 
What am I on? I guess I came to a realization on how poorly the device is made and designed after not having picked up a single Nintendo product since Gameboy Color. The company is stuck in 2005 when it comes to design.

I also think you guys are giving Nintendo a free ride here because they are Nintendo. Sony Vita was marginally more in price, but quality wise it was years ahead of the Nintendo in terms of specs and build quality (It just didn't have any good games).

Is your gameboy color screen not all scratched up by now? I agree the build quality of the GBC feels better but it's not a clamshell design therefor not a fair comparison.

A much more fair comparison would be the 2DS vs. the gameboy color. Since they are both hunge-less. Compare to that model and I think you will see they have a very similar build quality.
 
Is your gameboy color screen not all scratched up by now? I agree the build quality of the GBC feels better but it's not a clamshell design therefor not a fair comparison.

A much more fair comparison would be the 2DS vs. the gameboy color. Since they are both hunge-less. Compare to that model and I think you will see they have a very similar build quality.

Considering I was much younger then and used it without any kind of protection, yes its slighly scratched here and there, BUT if I were to say use a similar device today I would either put a screen protector on it or some sort of case (like my phone).

I have seen the 2DS and you are right its similar in build, but Nintendo likely sells more 3DS/XL systems because of the 3D feature. Those are their "flagship" systems.

My main point is I expected much more from Nintendo in 2013. Even if you forget the design of the system along with functionality, the specs compared to a Vita are ancient in a way (but surprisingly, Nintendos games function well on it)
 
I think that its such a very good design that it has continued to out-sell the competition since 2004. You have to realize that Nintendo sees itself as a toy company not an electronics company; that's when you will understand the design. Not to mention it works, the buttons are all right where they need to be, the touch screen is right where it needs to be.
 
It's a shame you don't work for Nintendo, if you did maybe they'd actually have some market share in the portable gaming market. :rolleyes:
 
Personalally I think the Zelda Edition 3DS XL looks pretty damn good. Have you used a 3DS XL? Its much better in design then a 3DS.
 
Personalally I think the Zelda Edition 3DS XL looks pretty damn good. Have you used a 3DS XL? Its much better in design then a 3DS.

Mainly because its larger.

Its much harder to make small things comfortable.

The 3DS design does the job, the 3DS XL is more comfortable but larger. I don't know what ops problem is.
 
My old Sega Nomad says that the Nintendo handhelds look quite decent.

EDIT: Or at least it would if the batteries weren't dead. ;)
 
zmv7Hf7.jpg


Galaxy Note 3
DS3 Controller
GameClip
Emulator of your choice.
 
Back
Top