Nintendo DS Software + Pics + Launch Details

trilobyte

[H]ard|Gawd
MARIO, MADDEN NFL, THE URBZ AND MORE READY FOR NINTENDO DS LAUNCH

DS Changes the Rules: Players Control Games with Touch or Voice, Monitor Two-Screen Action, Compete Wirelessly with Others

REDMOND, Wash., Oct. 7, 2004 - Imagine using the touch screen of Nintendo DS™ to call a secret audible at the line of scrimmage when your wireless opponent threatens a blitz. Is your Sim feeling blue? Redesign her apartment or create a pet with the touch of the screen. Can't find that last star? Use the second screen to track down your nemesis in the vast worlds of Super Mario® 64 DS.

From Mario™ to Madden and The Urbz™, familiar characters and dynamic franchises will dominate the launch season for Nintendo DS, while allowing fans to play their favorites in entirely new ways. In the first 30 days of system availability, thanks to unprecedented support from third-party publishers, players can enjoy 10 to 12 DS games covering all genres. By the end of the first quarter of 2005, the Nintendo DS library will grow to 20 to 25 games.

Nintendo DS will launch in the United States on Nov. 21 at an MSRP of $149.99.

"DS provides the road map to the future of video games," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales & marketing. "The overwhelming support of strong third-party titles, combined with Nintendo's flagship franchise, makes this the strongest software support for any Nintendo system in more than a decade."

As part of an incredibly strong launch offering, players will receive a free playable demo of Nintendo's upcoming Metroid Prime Hunters game, titled Metroid Prime® Hunters: First Hunt. Each system also offers a built-in PictoChat™ feature, which lets users type text or draw pictures and transmit them wirelessly to up to 15 other Nintendo DS users nearby.

In all, more than 120 games are currently in development for Nintendo DS around the world. Titles available in the launch window include Super Mario 64 DS from Nintendo, Madden NFL 2005, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® Golf and The Urbz™: Sims in the City™ from EA, and a major title from Activision. Other third-party titles available during the launch period include Ping Pals from THQ, Feel the Magic: XY/XX from SEGA, Rayman DS and Asphalt Urban GT from Ubisoft and Ridge Racer DS and Mr. DRILLER: Drill Spirits from Namco.

Players can expect Nintendo-published games to retail for as low as $29.99.

In the coming months, publishers will release a wide range of novel software. Nintendo's list of DS-specific first-party franchises includes a multiplayer Mario Kart, as well as Metroid Prime Hunters, WarioWare, Inc.™ DS, Animal Crossing, Yoshi's Touch & Go, Advance Wars® DS and a new Super Mario Bros., among others.

Third-party publishers will add GoldenEye: Rogue Agent™ and Need for Speed™ Underground from EA, Viewtiful Joe from Capcom, Bomberman from Hudson Soft, Frogger from Konami, a Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles title from Square Enix, and many more.

The dual-screened Nintendo DS is a portable video game and communication system that opens up new possibilities for both software developers and game players. Each dual-screened unit, which features a sharp, angular, silver-and-black design, has a built-in stylus for use on the touch screen, a built-in microphone for voice recognition and wireless capabilities via both local area network and Wi-Fi connections. Nintendo DS represents a third, distinct hardware line for Nintendo, along with Nintendo GameCube™ and Game Boy® Advance SP.

Each title takes advantage of the unique Nintendo DS features. For example, in Madden NFL 2005, one screen will show all 22 players on the field, while the other will display the key action. Players also will be able to compete head-to-head wirelessly. In Super Mario 64 DS, players choose one of four characters as they experience the groundbreaking Mario game in completely news ways exclusive to Nintendo DS, such as head-to-head wireless battling, new touch-sensitive mini-games and innovative control options. In Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, up to four players can compete wirelessly. Multiple control schemes take full advantage of the touch screen, giving all gamers an ideal way to play.

In addition to these upcoming titles, Nintendo DS already features compatibility with more than 550 games. Its second game port allows users to play single-player modes of games made for Game Boy Advance SP.

Remember that poll Square Enix ran in Japan?

Along with Nintendo's own hefty game announcements, Nintendo's presentation confirmed what was previously speculated: Square Enix is bringing Final Fantasy III to Nintendo DS.

Many of Square's classic RPGs have been remade over the years, but a reworked version of Final Fantasy III (VI in Japan) has never graced American stores. No Japanese launch timeframe was disclosed, nor were any plans of an international release.

1. 10 or so games available for launch.
2. 29.99 price set
3. New games announced.
4. FF3 / 6 in development for ds.

some screens of some games:

01(10).jpg
01(6).jpg
01(5).jpg
01(1).jpg
01(3).jpg

Of course can't forget Mario 64 - DS ;)

It's mario 64 with a twist. You have multiplayer + the single player has been modified so that you can play multiple characters ala super-mario-bros-2 -- each character has their own special abilities.

ss01a.jpg
ss02a.jpg
ss05a.jpg
ss07a.jpg

I think the dual screens is such a gimmick but I think many units will sell just because it is from Nintendo and it is the sucessor to the Gameboy. The PSP is much nicer but I don't think it will sell all so well because of the high price point.

trilobyte said:
sorry dude, that's madden ;) but where there's madden, blitz will follow

Wrong! I play that game on my bros n64 almost every weekend, I would recognize those graphics anywhere. Unless you have something to prove it...

trilobyte said:
Of course can't forget Mario 64 - DS ;)

It's mario 64 with a twist. You have multiplayer + the single player has been modified so that you can play multiple characters ala super-mario-bros-2 -- each character has their own special abilities.

ss01a.jpg
ss02a.jpg
ss05a.jpg
ss07a.jpg

I am getting it alone for Mario 64. I loved this game, just dont know how its going to play with anolog controlls.

Bad_Boy said:
nice graphics :p
reminds me of somthin nokia put out ;x

/me waits for psp :eek:

Yeah, gameplay is so overrated...

Anyway.

LiquidX said:
I am getting it alone for Mario 64. I loved this game, just dont know how its going to play with anolog controlls.

Do you mean without analog controls? If so, you can use the touch screen for analog movement.

mario 64 DS video demonstration:
http://www.gamespot.com/live/stream...8e99-5b37-9038-8fbe3537c28d&urdate=1101024000

Also, it seems that the DS can recieve wireless game demos. So you go to a videogame store with your DS, and game demos load into your system. Or you go to a movie and a demo of the movie-videogame can load onto your system. For example: kids can go to the pokemon movie and new pokemon items will download to their game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/07/news_6109973.html

trilobyte said:
mario 64 DS video demonstration:
http://www.gamespot.com/live/stream...8e99-5b37-9038-8fbe3537c28d&urdate=1101024000

Also, it seems that the DS can recieve wireless game demos. So you go to a videogame store with your DS, and game demos load into your system. Or you go to a movie and a demo of the movie-videogame can load onto your system. For example: kids can go to the pokemon movie and new pokemon items will download to their game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/07/news_6109973.html

so does the DS have onboard memory set aside for applications/games then? there must be some sort of menu system so you can choose what to delete extra (as im sure you will fill it up fast)

Shapeshifter said:
so does the DS have onboard memory set aside for applications/games then? there must be some sort of menu system so you can choose what to delete extra (as im sure you will fill it up fast)

Yeah, when you boot the DS you get a screen with icons of the various games in the system as well as the game currently inside the system. you also have other options like going to chat, etc etc

omg i want a ds, this is the first time that i have really wanted a console or handheld.

After watching Metroid Prim Hunters, I must have. Must.......Have.............MUST..........AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

after watching that metroid hunters video, the touch pad doesnt seem very useless anymore. Do u guys think it will actually work? To me it feels like if u like touchpad when u use it u will like it or u wont. Thats how it seems to me. What do u guys think?

I wonder how long the touchpad will last if you play your games with it.. Is it replaceable?

I been considering getting an Xbox as it seems the games for PC have been scarce except for first person shooters. I want a wider varity of games like some racing games and platform.
and from what I have seen the Gameboy DS is looking really good.

LiquidX said:

do you mean without analog controls? or......am I missing something. Cause N64 had analog....

Diablo2K said:
I been considering getting an Xbox as it seems the games for PC have been scarce except for first person shooters. I want a wider varity of games like some racing games and platform.

I've really enjoyed my xbox. And I got mine new back in the day. Now that they are down to $150 I think it's deffinately worth is for anyone who wants a console. Plus is has awesome modding potential for a rainy day :)

Of course if you prefer some of the few PS2/GC only games then obviously that would be the better choice..

Diablo2K said:

I wouldnt get it for it varity games now because they seem to be for and in between from the announcement unless you factor in GBA games. Get the XBox dude, even though I am getting a DS. :p

Emret said:
I wonder how long the touchpad will last if you play your games with it.. Is it replaceable?

Nintendo have aparently tried and tested it extensively, it's very durable... If you're really paranoid you could always use a cotton bud(q tip for Americans?)

Sorry about the double post...

New Spiderman video here. Look pretty sweet, reminds me of some older games.

The Urbz: Sims in the City video demo here.

Spiderman looks solid-reminscent of the classic Genesis rev and hopefully at least as good as the recent GBA game.

all i have to say is no texture filtering, no thanks. EVERYTHING is ugly as hell on the DS. I'll probably get one though, just to have it in my collection of systems.

Staples said:
just because it is from Nintendo and it is the sucessor to the Gameboy.

Actually the DS is not the successor to the Gameboy. Nintendo stated this back sometime in January I believe. This isn't a bad thing though, the DS will be awesome either way. Playing Mario 64 DS is going to bring back so many good memories.

trilobyte said:
Have fun waiting 8 months, paying $400 to play PS2 games for only 2 hours at a time ;)
i have no problem waiting 16 months years for somthing as cool as the psp. it wont be 400, i promise you, and the battery life is no problem to me when you can plug it to the wall or get the batter extender for more time.

Toboggan said:
all i have to say is no texture filtering, no thanks. EVERYTHING is ugly as hell on the DS. .
tell me about it ;)

Toboggan said:
all i have to say is no texture filtering, no thanks. EVERYTHING is ugly as hell on the DS. I'll probably get one though, just to have it in my collection of systems.

Dont judge the visuals of a console untill you see it in motion for yourself... Those vids are projected, there for stretched and then streamed to you at a pretty low quality. Sure they may not be up to PSP standards, but who really cares with this new level of gameplay.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it'll be hard playing with a stylus? The concept is cool as all hell, but I think the stylus thing will keep me away. Especially with the GBA being only $79 I think I'll be getting one of those.

Smiffy said:
Dont judge the visuals of a console untill you see it in motion for yourself... Those vids are projected, there for stretched and then streamed to you at a pretty low quality. Sure they may not be up to PSP standards, but who really cares with this new level of gameplay.
honestly man, don't kid yourself. I took those things into consideration, and without texture filtering, everything is going to look ugly for the most part. It was a huge mistake for Nintendo to leave it out. Every console release they always have a blunder like this.

can wait for me and the kid to go head to head wirelessly. We're going to drive the wife NUTS. ;)

ShimmyT said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it'll be hard playing with a stylus? The concept is cool as all hell, but I think the stylus thing will keep me away. Especially with the GBA being only $79 I think I'll be getting one of those.

A couple of the vids out there show the person using their thumb. if one could get a little nib attacked to a thumb or forefinger (like a guitar picking claw) it could be really smooth... thumb would be the same as using a trackball - and remember.. thresh used to use a trackball :eek:

Toboggan said:
honestly man, don't kid yourself. I took those things into consideration, and without texture filtering, everything is going to look ugly for the most part. It was a huge mistake for Nintendo to leave it out. Every console release they always have a blunder like this.

A blunder? Hardly... People really need to get over eye candy, all you have to do is stop crying and play the game, you might enjoy yourself. Anyway I'm pretty sure texture filtering on such a small screen would be near enough redundant, the direct feed movies I've seen look good enough for me.

Nintendo could still be using 8-bit graphics for all I care, and I bet their gameplay in most games would still be ahead of most of the competition.

Toboggan said:
Indeed. The SNES was quite horrible in this regard. The NES was almost unbearable. I can't believe anyone would ever buy any of those consoles. The competitor's consoles were obviously far better...

...nevermind.

Elledan said:
Indeed. The SNES was quite horrible in this regard. The NES was almost unbearable. I can't believe anyone would ever buy any of those consoles. The competitor's consoles were obviously far better...

Okay, the LAST thing I want to do is get into an argument with anyone on this forum, (I hate being in online arguments), but honestly, have you ever played Chrono Trigger? How about Donkey Kong Country? Zelda: A Link to the Past? Even Mortal Kombat II.

Graphics are important, I can't deny that. But they're just one aspect of many pieces that make a game good. I believe that even the soundtrack of a game, if done correctly (Chrono Trigger, Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Zelda OoT), can have as powerful an effect as graphics.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it'll be hard playing with a stylus? The concept is cool as all hell, but I think the stylus thing will keep me away.

I had similar concerns at first. But I've read some feedback people have given it (I think Gamespot was one of them, I really can't remember though) and I remember them saying that it really did end up working out.

Back