Nintendo Axes Game Boy Advance Support

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
With so many other Nintendo handhelds on the market, it had to happen eventually. We learned today that Nintendo is finally discontinuing the DS Lite, effectively ending GBA support for their handheld consoles. According to a leaked GameStop memo, "Nintendo DS Lite systems have been discontinued and stores will no longer be replenished on this product." As the last system to offer Game Boy Advance backwards compatibility, we're sad to see it go. But the GBA's library of classic remakes and wonderful original titles will live on in the yard sales and bargain bins of the world.

As long as I can always get my hand on a DS Lite in some form I suppose this is ok and there does seem to be more than enough of them going around. Still, this does seem like typical Nintendo.

I think the worst part is that getting a used DS lite is so much more choppy than other things due to heavy stylus use and touch screen wear and tear. That's the only thing that kind of bothers me, but hopefully the secondary market will always be strong so getting a GBA capable deck will never be too hard (as I take good care of my DS lite and have to get through all my GBA game collection, and want it to survive that or at least know there will be options to get it serviced or replaced if that happens.

Yeah, I'll be holding onto my first gen DS SP for about forever.

It is a lot more duarable then my DS Lite, and it allows me to play my old regular gameboy classic games.

GB Micro for the Advance games and GBA for the classic and colour games.

The GBA's library of classic remakes and wonderful original titles will live on in the yard sales and bargain bins of the world.

Not to mention the 3DS Virtual Console, where you can buy all of your old handheld games again.

spincut said:
I think the worst part is that getting a used DS lite is so much more choppy than other things due to heavy stylus use and touch screen wear and tear.

I traded in a spare DS Lite that I had lying around to GameStop for the 3DS....It was virtually unused, I had bought it a couple years ago because at some point Nintendo started using yellowish looking screens with worse viewing angles than the earlier models, so I bought two and kept the one with the better screens, and forgot to return the first one in time and kinda sat on it until now.

I put everything back in the original plastic, the power adapter was still coiled up and twisty-tied, and the manuals were still in the plastic and never touched, everything in the original box....Well, when I handed it over at GameStop, the girl just carelessly grabbed it out of the box, tossed the packaging aside, UNCOILED the unused power adapter, took everything out of the plastic, chucked the plastic, cardboard and twisties to the side, and threw it all away!

I had put everything together carefully! Someone would have basically got open-box new when it might otherwise be an old banged up scratched to hell unit with no extras for the same price.

I never owned an original Gameboy. My first Nintendo portable was the first GBA. I currently own 2 or 3 GBAs, 3+ SPs, 2 GB Micros, 3+ DS Phats, 6+ DS Lites and 1 DSi XL so I'm pretty set if I ever want to play any Nintendo portable games.

Many of them are still sealed seeing that I like collecting special editions like the Pikachu SP, the Target only DS Phat Metallic Rose (being in Canada, it was difficult to get one without overpaying) and several of the DSL Metallic Rose. Still annoyed I missed out on the Zelda DSL.

Back