• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ninja Scythe too heavy?

dj_2004

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 9, 2004
Messages
7,279
Was wondering if a DFI NF4 board would be able to handle the weight of a ninja scythe + 2 120x38mm fans. This would equal about 900-950grams total (maybe closer to 1050 since these are sanyo denki fans). Now this rig wont be moving at all pretty much. So my question is, will the mobo be able to handle this much weight? There has been no cases of it breaking off but I just want to double check since it would kill me to have it crash down on my 7800gt (and break the mobo in the process). Thanks :)
 
I have the scythe ninja and all the weight is on the base of the heatsink so provided you are not moving the pc around alot then it will be fine
 
I've read a few reveiws on it and they seem to all kinda be worried about it doing that..

Personaly I wouldn't feel safe leaving that hsf without some kind of support vertical..

If anyone has one I'm curious to see how it held up or if they had to support it as I also saw its a great hsf.
 
The top half of the heatsink is very light weight, all the weight is at the bottom so there isnt much of a strain on the top half, only weight that he would have up there is the fans.
 
I have one mounted on an Asus A8V. The weight is fine. Most of the weight is at the base. If you use a backplate (the A8V came with) the weight will be distibuted over a wide area. I haven't heard of any boards cracking or failing because of one of these.
 
It's so light. Compared to the Zalmans it's a feather. Remember it's thin aluminum mostly so there's nothing to worry about.
 
K, I feel better now :). I was worried because these 2 120mm fans would add an extra 400 or so grams. But then again the scythe was made for 2 fans so it should be alright. And good idea about adding extra support... may have to try that.
 
If you have a fan on the back of the case u probably wont need the two fans on the heatsink anyway as most of the rear fans on cases line up with the Ninja heatsink.
 
Back
Top