Nikon to stop producing most film cameras

So, they're going to give up the market they are doing respectably in, and focus on the market Canon is beating them handily in?

Stereodude said:
So, they're going to give up the market they are doing respectably in, and focus on the market Canon is beating them handily in?

Smart move, if you ask me. The film market is becoming a niche "purist" market thanks to digital, and consumer product revenues are guaranteed to plummet as digital uptake continues.

By focusing on digital, they are forcing themselves to innovate both in technology and marketing if they want to draw level with Canon.

Nikon makes lots of money on consumer cameras. Canon is destroying them in the pro market now, but Nikon's consumer stuff will keep them going strong.

Well it does seem to be the wave of the future.As I see it the only film cameras that will be sold in volume, are the throw aways. Face it digitals are just getting better all the time and, with the convience of being able to delete and, edit without having to scan or, having them burned to CD by a third party, they will become the norm.

I love digital because of the post processing and the ability to adjust the ISO instead of shooting the whole roll before changing out film with a higher ISO.

Not too surprising - but I guess I'll have to buy used for my film Nikon equipment from now on.

Back