nice FreeBSD primer for debian admin?

deuce868

Gawd
I'm thinking of trying out FreeBSD on my home machine. I run several debian servers at work and I was wondering if anyone had a page that was a list of commonly run across differences from debian. The type of thing like, network config is /etc/network/interfaces in debian and XXX in FreeBSD.

A cheat sheet of types I guess. I can only seem to find info on going to linux from unix.

Thanks for the info.

I once read that you can take a Linux guy, put him in front of a BSD machine, and he would never know.

There are subtle differences between Debian and FreeBSD. But, there are also subtle differnces between every Linux distro.

I would recommend finding a decent FreeBSD install guide and installing it on a test system. Then play around with it for a while. The best way I have found to learn about something is to do it.

I'd start by thumbing through the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

In FreeBSD, there is a good deal of documentation on the userland tools, including configuration files. For example, the bulk of FreeBSD bootstrap configuration is pulled from /etc/rc.conf, which conveniently is documented in the rc.conf manual page.

man rc.conf

If you have specific questions about the operations of FreeBSD, feel free to ask here, theres a few BSD folks who frequent this fourm, like me for example who has been running FreeBSD since the 2.1.5-Release days.

The Handbook is the best place to start. Like MorfiusX said, from an end-user point of view, there's really not much difference between Linux and FreeBSD.

Christopher is right; FreeBSD is very well-documented and the Handbook is a great place to start. The Handbook covers a lot of basic administrative functions.

If you're just looking for a "cheat sheet" of differences between commands and locations, try the Rosetta Stone: http://bhami.com/rosetta.html

It's pretty cool - and you can select any number of *NIX operating systems. A lot of the Linux stuff is Red Hat, but there's some Debian-specific stuff mentioned, too.

Edit: This is not to say that you shouldn't read the Handbook (It's great - really detailed), but if you need to just look up a command, its a good place to go.

Ok, well going over the handbook there seems to be just about everying is different. I'm downloading the bootonly disk and waste some time on it I guess.

Back