• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

NIC disconnected

sho92

n00b
Joined
Feb 5, 2011
Messages
3
Hi everyone. I recently built a server with ESXi 4.1 to both learn ESX more and cut down on the number of physical machines I have at home. I built my machine after reading Jason Nash's blog, but went with an i5 instead of the Xeon. I'll probably get a Xeon at some point and move the i5 to a desktop.

The problem I'm having now is the 2 onboard NICs on the X8SIL are becoming disconnected. It had been up for about a month and just started this about 2 weeks ago. It doesn't matter which interface I use for the management network, eventually they show as disconnected. Checking the system logs doesn't seem to help much either, as it just says something like "the nic has been disconnected".

I tried swapping switch ports, cables and management interfaces. I also tried running a repair from the ESX CD. I'm running 4.1u1 also. Still get the network drops. It also happens fairly quickly, usually within 5 minutes after booting. The only way I can get things working again is to reboot the server. FWIW, the IPMI interface never drops.

Has anyone experienced this before? I don't know if its hardware or software related. The only thing I haven't tried yet, is a complete reinstall of ESX.
 
Sounds like classic symptoms of Power Managment being enabled.
Look through all your BIOS settings to see if it is enabled and disable it.
 
That seems to have solved the problem. The systems been up for 20 minutes now.

Thanks!
 
Back
Top