Nibbler or die grinder?

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
What's the best way to make square and rectangular holes in panels?

Real punches and dies are too expensive, and out of the question becasue I wouldn't use the same shape enough.

I bought a nibbler, but I'm afraid it will be very tedious for larger holes. Should I get a die grinder? A pneumatic nibbler? Or something else?

If you have a source for compressed air, a pnuematic nibbler is it. A pnuematic die grinder is like a dremel on steroids...a nibbler is easier to control IMO.

Thanks.

I guess I should've explained what "large" is. I'm cutting holes that are about 30mm on each side... 27mm by 31mm, exactly, for the one I'm worried about most. Holes like this are commonly used to hold snap-in plastic cases for power cords, switches, and so on.

I've got a big old tank, so I'll look at pneumatic nibblers. Would ya'll recommend any model or brand for light hobby use?

If you are making circles that small, I would look at getting a bi-metal hole saw, if you have access to a drill press or a decent hand held drill. For me, a hole saw is way faster/cleaner for std size holes. I've currently got hole saws for 40, 60, 80, 92 and 120 mm fans...very handy to have.

It sounds like maybe your holes are actually rectangles or whatever, so maybe the nibbler is the ticket. I use devilbiss (sp?) for my pnuematic stuff.

TeedOff said:
It sounds like maybe your holes are actually rectangles or whatever, so maybe the nibbler is the ticket. I use devilbiss (sp?) for my pnuematic stuff.

Yep. I specifically said "square and rectangles", so I thought that was clear.

I've got a nice drill press for the round stuff.

A nibbler will do holes that small, easily, though it's a bit more work than a power/pneumatic tool would be.

I cut a hole for an 8"x10" window on the first case I modded with a nibbler, and that was a steel case. Took me ~3 nights of off and on cutting with the nibbler, and I had a pretty serious case of "popeye" forearms when I was done!! :eek: :D

I use both a nibbler and a dremel for stuff like this, if you want it done fast then a dremel/die grinder would be best, I usually just sit down to watch a movie, TV or something with the nibbler. It's nice for times when you don't have to pay too much attention to what your doing (eg: a spinning blade).

mikeblas said:
Thanks.

I guess I should've explained what "large" is. I'm cutting holes that are about 30mm on each side... 27mm by 31mm, exactly, for the one I'm worried about most. Holes like this are commonly used to hold snap-in plastic cases for power cords, switches, and so on.

I've got a big old tank, so I'll look at pneumatic nibblers. Would ya'll recommend any model or brand for light hobby use?

check out harbor freight tools online, you can buy a cheap ass china brand one, and contribute to the trade deficit and it will do fine for your uses.

i picked up an air nibbler for 30 bucks canadian at Princess Auto. it works really well...and about the manual nibbler...DO NOT use it to cut more than a harddrive window...unless you enjoy your hand being engulfed in one big blister. air nibbler is the best tool for casemodding, and at about teh same price as the amount cutting wheels for a dremel that you will burn up, i really dont understand why people arent using them more often.

Back