NHL 2K6 - Real Life vs. XBOX 360

I'm going to guess that those screenshots are from a cinematic rather than gameplay. Most consoles have been doing the same thing for years.

jubei said:
I'm going to guess that those screenshots are from a cinematic rather than gameplay. Most consoles have been doing the same thing for years.

They are real-time rendered, not prerenders if that's what you mean. Of course they are instant replay shots, but no console has ever had graphics that good to date.

The lighting's a tad off and the textures are too low. Other than that it looks good.

I'm not real interested in what 2K Sports is doing with their XBOX 360 titles. The lighting almost causes a glowing effect around the bodies, and the textures are just not large enough. I'll wait until I can do a side-by-side comparison between NHL 2K6 and NHL 06, as well as NBA 2K6 and NBA Live 06, once they're released.

I remember XBOX commercials and the box shots on the back of xbox games, graphics looked amaizing. I hardly doubght that it will be that good on x360, it will be nice but not like that.

Shorty said:
I'm not real interested in what 2K Sports is doing with their XBOX 360 titles. The lighting almost causes a glowing effect around the bodies, and the textures are just not large enough. I'll wait until I can do a side-by-side comparison between NHL 2K6 and NHL 06, as well as NBA 2K6 and NBA Live 06, once they're released.

Who cares about a marginal graphics difference? The 2k hockey series has been outdoing EA in gameplay for quite some time now.

Ugh, no offense but I don't think any of those shots really compete with real life. Nor are they representative of actual in-game footage, so it is useless. Makes for nice cut-scenes and such, but we've had just as nice cut-scene material from NAMCO for years, just because it is rendered realtime now doesn't make it any more useful.

Also that "glow" is the bloom effect of DX9. MS is using it liberally in all of their 360 titles, and it really is one of the most useless graphic advances of all time. It's kind of like a cheesy way to do some AA since all of the edges get softened. Bloom never has impressed me, games like Guild Wars tried to use it to create a fantasy-like feel and that was the closest justifiable use I have seen to date... it grows old fast though and got turned off in record time. I've played and watched a lot of hockey in my day and never have any players spontaneously sprouted a god-like glow about them... even after a hat trick.

tranCendenZ said:
They are real-time rendered, not prerenders if that's what you mean. Of course they are instant replay shots, but no console has ever had graphics that good to date.
Looks like someone can't tell the difference between real time and CG.

If anything they are prerenders. Crappy prerenders too.

H2MP_Beta_ZanzibarElite.jpg

OMG could that be Halo 2 on 360? No it's a prerender of Halo 2 on the Xbox. Doesn't it look just like the game? :p

I haven't played Halo 2 in almost a year, but the graphics were pretty close to that ( minus the high-resolution, aa/af )

And I don't think were gonna see 360 to its fullest until Xbox/Ps2 are fully faded out. Most of these games are current gen versions with higher res textures and stuff.

DukenukemX said:
H2MP_Beta_ZanzibarElite.jpg

OMG could that be Halo 2 on 360? No it's a prerender of Halo 2 on the Xbox. Doesn't it look just like the game? :p
mabey it is the game, your just to stupid to of figured out 1600x1200 wasnt happening on a console(doh)in any aspect thats pretty much what the game looks like except its done in 640x480

Heh. It's a pre-rendered shot. See: everything outside of the hockey player. No instant replays that I've seen blur everything else. Looks similar to the PGR3 shots where the car was high-poly and the outside was a whiz of blurriness. It's probably from the intro, so it's rendered using the game engine, and cleaned up with pre-rendered assistance. Luckily shot number 1 looks about as real as you'll get. Which also doesn't look next-gen.

Halo 2 looked alright for current-gen consoles, but it did NOT look like that.

steviep said:
Heh. It's a pre-rendered shot. See: everything outside of the hockey player. No instant replays that I've seen blur everything else. Looks similar to the PGR3 shots where the car was high-poly and the outside was a whiz of blurriness. It's probably from the intro, so it's rendered using the game engine, and cleaned up with pre-rendered assistance. Luckily shot number 1 looks about as real as you'll get. Which also doesn't look next-gen.

Halo 2 looked alright for current-gen consoles, but it did NOT look like that.

You haven't seen any PGR3 vids, because you would see how it has in-game motion blur ( not that crap from NFSUG either ) Then again, you're just another noob spitting around stupid information.

Go look at some vids over at Xboxyde...try n' educate yourself before I make you look like a complete idiot.

I'm not talking about the minor motion blur - I've seen the vids, IN PERSON on an X360. I'm talking about a complete blurred-out background. In PGR3 you can see the details and textures in the backgrounds. Here, you can pretty much only see the players and the puck. So before you whip out a flame, you should know that I wouldn't speak before I've seen.

steviep said:
I'm not talking about the minor motion blur - I've seen the vids, IN PERSON on an X360. I'm talking about a complete blurred-out background. In PGR3 you can see the details and textures in the backgrounds. Here, you can pretty much only see the players and the puck. So before you whip out a flame, you should know that I wouldn't speak before I've seen.

Lol I think you hurt his feelings. Take a look at his sig. He's still trying to justify buying a launch 360 :)

Circuitbreaker8 said:
You haven't seen any PGR3 vids, because you would see how it has in-game motion blur ( not that crap from NFSUG either ) Then again, you're just another noob spitting around stupid information.

Go look at some vids over at Xboxyde...try n' educate yourself before I make you look like a complete idiot.
circuit which store you gonna be at on launch lol, ill make sure i dont go there

Ballz2TheWallz said:
mabey it is the game, your just to stupid to of figured out 1600x1200 wasnt happening on a console(doh)in any aspect thats pretty much what the game looks like except its done in 640x480
So are you saying that's an image that was 640X480 that was stretched to 1600X1200 and given some AA and AF? That'll take some pretty good photoshop skills.

Someone want to tell him what a prerender is?
Circuitbreaker8 said:

0MG n00b j00 4r3 g0ing 70 g37 50 pwn3d. I'm 5m4r73r 7h3n j00 4nd j00 4r3 4n idi07.

Xb0x 360 ph0r teh win.

Am I the only one who saw his post like this? :p

steviep said:

Nope, thats just a depth of field shader effect. Standard on many xbox 360 titles.

tranCendenZ said:
Nope, thats just a depth of field shader effect. Standard on many xbox 360 titles.

Oh, thats what hes talking about. Yeah, Kameo uses it and you can see it in gameplay vids.

I find this generation to be much more boring than the last. Wake me up for photorealism or when fun becomes the new emphasis.

Back