Mark20039

n00b
I cant buy any coolers for G34 opterons besides nh-u9do a3 in my country, and shipping is not an option since it costs more then the coolers themselfes (modding coolers and water cooling is also not an option). I will be upgrading later to 140W opteron 6300 series and on noctua website it says that nh-u9do a3 has a limit of cooling 115W opterons. The nh-u9do a3 looks like its better at cooling than 212 evo (212 evo has a limit of 180W) and some better coolers (i mean noctua has 2 fans), so i was wondering in your opinion/expirience will it be able to cool 140W chips (maybe even OC using OCNG5)? Also does H8QGL-IF+ have some sort of protection if VRMs get to hot?

I found 4x nh-u12do for only 30$ more than 4x nh-u9d, but if you know the answer to VRM question or if you know how much could i OC a 140W chip on nh-u12do feel free to answer.

Would a mod please move this thread to the distributed computing area.
I think Mark20039 will get more answers there since those guys deall with G34 systems.
Thanks

I cant buy any coolers for G34 opterons besides nh-u9do a3 in my country, and shipping is not an option since it costs more then the coolers themselfes (modding coolers and water cooling is also not an option). I will be upgrading later to 140W opteron 6300 series and on noctua website it says that nh-u9do a3 has a limit of cooling 115W opterons. The nh-u9do a3 looks like its better at cooling than 212 evo (212 evo has a limit of 180W) and some better coolers (i mean noctua has 2 fans), so i was wondering in your opinion/expirience will it be able to cool 140W chips (maybe even OC using OCNG5)?
212 EVOs may not look as pro as Noctuas but they get the job done as well as big (120) Noctuas, if not better.

Small (92) Noctuas will probably suffice for open-case 140W application I don't think they would be fine for OC.

Big (120) Noctuas should be fine for mild OC but their fans, while quiet, don't move nearly as much air as 212's fans (at full blast) -- you may want to test and consider an upgrade, depending on results.

Also does H8QGL-IF+ have some sort of protection if VRMs get to hot?
There's no protection whatsoever. You can only rely on magic smoke signal (and by then it's already too late).

As a datapoint, I ran H8QGL on spotswood's tray at ~900W AC continuous for many months with no problems. Grandpa_01 went beyond that, though I do not remember how much.

Cool the board well and it should serve you for a long time.

It's really hard to beat the 212 EVO in price and cooling capabilities. You can easily mod them, too.

Back