NFS: Shift

Jakalwarrior

2[H]4U
I'm sure some of you guys picked this up with the steam sale. What do you think of it?

Sofar for me:

Keyboard is impossible to play with. Made it to tier two, was going nuts. Hooked up analog controller. Much much much better. They put zero thought into making the game playable with keyboard.

Crashing? yes... All the time. Racing along happily and suddenly I am at the desktop "the program has stopped working"........ Seems to be sort of random. I downclocked my PC, downclocked my GPU, fiddled with game settings, etc.... no luck. Crash crash crash crash crash crash :mad:

Cars: Best way to buy a new car is to turn off autosave, sell some of your current cars to get some money, and then test upgrading it ALL THE WAY. You never know how they decided to let the car max out. For instance, Skyline? crap, RX7? crap, GT500? crap, etc... Lamborghini? (works capable model), godly. Corvette Z06? great. etc.... But you never know that until youve invested all of your money in to it so don't buy a car, get attached to it, get used to its handling, then find out its not competitive once its souped up.

I'm sure some of you guys picked this up with the steam sale. What do you think of it?

Sofar for me:

Keyboard is impossible to play with. Made it to tier two, was going nuts. Hooked up analog controller. Much much much better. They put zero thought into making the game playable with keyboard.

Yeah, keyboard is terrible. I played for a while on keyboard before hooking up my steering wheel. Wheel is great, keyboard is horrible.

Crashing? yes... All the time. Racing along happily and suddenly I am at the desktop "the program has stopped working"........ Seems to be sort of random. I downclocked my PC, downclocked my GPU, fiddled with game settings, etc.... no luck. Crash crash crash crash crash crash :mad:

Yeah, it has waaaay too many bugs. For a while it wouldn't let me race at all, it'd crash before the first corner. Had to delete some graphics config file to get it working. EDIT: Try googling your problems or checking out the EA forums, there's a lot of bugs which have fixes and a lot which dont have fixes... the game should never have been released while it was this unreliable.

Cars: Best way to buy a new car is to turn off autosave, sell some of your current cars to get some money, and then test upgrading it ALL THE WAY. You never know how they decided to let the car max out. For instance, Skyline? crap, RX7? crap, GT500? crap, etc... Lamborghini? (works capable model), godly. Corvette Z06? great. etc.... But you never know that until youve invested all of your money in to it so don't buy a car, get attached to it, get used to its handling, then find out its not competitive once its souped up.

You get back all the money you spent on a car when you sell it (at least I think you do!), so I just buy and sell cars like they're nothing and dont get attached to them. Z06 is freakishly awesome though when its fully upgraded. Cars are way more fun to drive stock, but that's not really feasible in single player.

Overall the game is "ok", certainly not great, didn't get terribly attached to it and dont play it anymore (bought it soon after it came out for cheap off my sister who works in a shop that sells games). I usually play racing sims, Live for Speed, rFactor, GTR, etc... SHIFT doesn't really live up to being a real sim game. Its more sim than GRID, but still pretty far from what I enjoy in the more serious sims. Has too many issues it needs to deal with that should have been sorted out before it got released.

One of the best racing games I've ever played - potential sleeper hit of the year for me.

The handling of the cars is fantastic when you turn off the assists (you need a 360 controller though). The cockpit view is the best I've ever seen, and will slowly begin to blur as you reach top speed. The game is just damned beautiful, and you'll experience at least one or two hell-yeah moments during each race.

Crashes?

I've spent hours and hours driving in Shift and I've never experienced a single crash to desktop. Bugs? I've not encountered any?

It reminds me of gran turismo but with less cars and the modifications dont make sense. Turbo you're corvette? 20hp.... increase boost? 10hp... race exhaust? 35hp... wtf!!

Some of the tuning is stupid too.. open front grill? increase top speed... close it? lower top speed, increase accel. Wtf...

I play it with keyboard all the time, and I haven't had any real problems with it. It has worked very well for me. The only thing I have trouble with is long graceful turns on the oval tracks. The on/off digital controller just doesn't cut the mustard for that. But even at a LAN party with almost everyone else on a wheel controller, I was smoking people driving with the keyboard on the Nurburgring.

I haven't had any crashes yet, though, that I remember.

I don't really care about the tweaking the cars. I just buy the cars and all of the available upgrades, and if I don't like it, I sell it. Money isn't that hard to come by that I feel the need to be careful with it in the game.

One of the best racing games I've ever played - potential sleeper hit of the year for me.

The handling of the cars is fantastic when you turn off the assists (you need a 360 controller though). The cockpit view is the best I've ever seen, and will slowly begin to blur as you reach top speed. The game is just damned beautiful, and you'll experience at least one or two hell-yeah moments during each race.

Crashes?

I've spent hours and hours driving in Shift and I've never experienced a single crash to desktop. Bugs? I've not encountered any?

Ati or nvidia?
Win7?

I think it may have problems with either ati or win7.

You've been very lucky. I first got crashes during races, then crashes to desktop as soon as getting control of the car which required the deleting of the graphics config file, then randomly getting cars that do strange things off the line, and the much reported problems with certain cars not moving off the line (which apparently was fixed with the latest patch, I'm not sure though because I haven't played it much since the patch came out).

Then you had the tuning setup bugs, sometimes getting corrupted, sometimes not saving, not letting you take settings to what the screen suggests you can (many cars had horrible gearing but it wouldn't let you change it to something better), and the gearing "lines" which are supposed to show you how the gearing affects speed which didn't move when you changed the gearing.

Then you have some cars bouncing stupidly on some tracks.

I believe some of these have been fixed with the patch though.

I did ok with the keyboard until I got to the higher horsepower cars. My cheap analog controller is also nearly on or off but it is still a lot better. With keyboard I would lose it in the corners and had trouble getting it to go straight on the straightaways (though I found out increasing speed sensitivity helps a LOT since I switched to the controller, it would probably help on keyboard too though I haven't tried it).

It does crash to desktop constantly for me though. Ive sort of stopped playing until I can get that sorted out. Think I'm around 250 stars, have probably had 20+ Crashes.

Have you tried deleting the graphicsconfig.xml file?

I can play with a keyboard as long as the difficulty settings aren't maxed, but I dont see how you could be terribly competitive with one. Maybe I'm just too used to the wheel from playing other racing sims.

Vista64, no crashes ever. No bugs. Everything maxed at 1680x1050.
It's much better than I thought it would be and I really enjoy it
My favorite cars are the two Lotus. Exige and Elise[sp?]
One you can "Works" modify and the other I have maxed out.
The only tuning I've done is to make taller 6th gear on one for high speed tracks.
The Bugatti is my Tier4 car

Using a 360 wired controller.

I left Shift on Christmas for Dirt2. I'm at level 20 on that and am going back to Shift just to rack up some more $ and buy cars.

I've had some memorable racing moments with Shift, passing in corners, really close finishes, near crashes etc.
I notice different handling charactristics from car to car and subltle things like tire pressure changes too.
Shift is the series best offering to me in a long time.
Hope to see them expand on this.

Edit= using 190.62 drivers with a GTX260

I'm on a Core i7 - GTX 275 - VISTA 64 setup.

The only game that's crashed on me consistently has been Empire: Total War.

Back