NFS share - Invalid protocol ? (Garuda / arc linux)

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
Hello everyone,

Finally ditched windows and have Garuda linux (arc based) as my main rig OS.

I am working to get my mapped drives set up hosted from my QNAP NAS

Attempting to connect to a share via the GUI (not terminal / console)

nfs://myQNAPIP

It lists my main share folder (Content), but once i try to enter the folder i get an error

Invalid protocol

I am using NFSv4 on the QNAP, and I have also tested it with only NFS v2/3 enabled and all 3 versions enabled, but the same result.?

My Nvidia Shields can all connect fine to the NFS share and list all the contents with in the Content and play what I want, no errors, so this tells me it is the Garuda OS that is having the issue...

All the NFS packages are installed so not sure how I can dig deeper into this and see why it is not working?

Quick update,.,

Using terminal,

sudo mount -t nfs4 myQNAPIP:Content /mnt/Content

works.. and shows the mount under my Remote locations....

So why the GUI method would not work...

CrimsonKnight13 appreciated, will take a look at those,I hadn't yet added it to fstab yet

Would there be a specific log file that would maybe give me more insight into the GUI based error?

CrimsonKnight13 appreciated, will take a look at those,I hadn't yet added it to fstab yet

Would there be a specific log file that would maybe give me more insight into the GUI based error?
Run the app through terminal & keep it going. Usually apps will spit out errors & such while being ran from a terminal.

Look up your preferred DE & file manager on the Arch Wiki. The pages might tell you how to debug dump to text files.

Last edited:
I've just started working with NFS mounts (or I should say, just started getting NFS mounts working!), but on FreeBSD. Since I want the network share every time, but just my share, I put in the mount command into my .profile file (would likely be a different place depending on the particularities of your Linux distro). This way, it is accessible through the file manager in GUI as a normal system folder. It doesn't seem to be a problem using my laptop when I'm not connected to my network to have it there. Of course, if you are doing remote access, that would be a different scenario.

What is the file manager you are using in your Linux distro? That may be the best place to start for the particular error you are encountering.

If you're using SMB it's very much possible that the GUI application hasn't been updated to ignore SMBv1 which is now disabled by default. It's a common problem when you rely on gui apps to do things.

Are you using KDE? You might be missing the necessary KIO plugin. See whether you have the kio-extras package installed. It should include the library (nfs.so) needed by Dolphin to access NFS shares.

I suggest reading the links CrimsonKnight13 provided if you haven't already. It's generally best to avoid dependence on a GUI file manager for access to local or remote resources.

Back