Nforce3 Neo2

uiucMonkey

n00b
Wow haven't posted on here in like 2 years. Sadly, I am a little behind on some stuff and could use some [H] advice. This is the best forum I could find with the new layout ;)

1) I am planning to get some form of nforce3 neo 2 boards. Prolly learning towards MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.

2) I have no plans to overclock as I have got to the point in my life I will take a slower computer to crash less often ;)

3) I assume winchester is the core to get? I will be getting around 2.2GHz A64. Some people say stuff like newcastle overclocks better.. but if I don't care don't I just go for the "newer" chip that uses slightly less power?

4) What kind of ram do I need to fully make use of my chipset/cpu? I assume something DDR400. I am putting 4x512 in so I am trying to figure out a fairly cheap way to do this. Is all DDR400 the same or does latency still matter a lot? Any pointers in the ram department would be a great help. I don't know what to look for in ram anymore, and it would be pointless to get ram that my cpu/mobo can't make use of.

I believe that these boards perfer only 2 sticks of ram. I have read that if you use all four memory slots they will not work correctly and end up slower than two sticks. 2x1Gb should be better for you in dual channel mode. If you are not getting these right now the Nforce4 boards should be out in just 2-3 weeks, I waiting for those because I don't upgrade that often and I want PCIE because it seem to be heading that way now for video.

Back