nForce 610i / GeForce 7050 - are these chipsets reliable?

IanM

[H]ard|Gawd
My brother just bought an nForce 610i motherboard, I think it's an Asus P5N73-AM. Are these chipsets OK? I have seen may posts slating nvidia chipset reliabilty and data corruption, personally I don't think I would ever buy nvidia chipsets again, but it's a bit late now...

Anyone know if the 610i is one of the chipsets with known issues? if so, are there any solutions?

Thanks.

I think the reference ones suck, I had a lot of ram issues with the one I had.

the 9400 chipset from them rocks socks though

I haven't really heard of any big issues with that chipset, so he should be fine as far as I know.

I've been running my 610i chipset enabled computer nearly 24/7 and it's been rock solid.

Ninja Edit: One problem I did find is that the 610i chipsets didn't like my Promise 133 IDE card.

Thanks for all the replies, system has been built & is getting some fairly poor results on the performance tests my brother has run, though it is completely stable (so far)

It's a Christmas present for the parents so it will do, I'm just a little frustrated as I think I could've got a better set of components for the money :(

Thanks for all the replies, system has been built & is getting some fairly poor results on the performance tests my brother has run, though it is completely stable (so far)

It's a Christmas present for the parents so it will do, I'm just a little frustrated as I think I could've got a better set of components for the money :(

what kind of performance were you expecting:confused:

what kind of performance were you expecting:confused:

Nothing special, that's for sure! I don't have any details to elaborate, but apparently the CPU test with E7200 is scoring a lot lower than the E6400 on my brother's primary system. Without looking at the system myself I don't know if anything is actually wrong...

I'll look at it myself in the new year & see if anything needs changing i.e. BIOS settings or better RAM (just has 2GB of the cheapest possible Corsair Value DDR2)

My main fear was that this board could be a complete lemon, but from the replies here & elsewhere it sounds like it's just a very average performer for the money with nothing critically wrong with it, aside from possibly not playing nicely with some brands of RAM.

the reason why is because these 610i and 630i boards are NOT dual channel capapble for the memory.

They ONLY work in single channel, and that will kill 3dmark scores. Thats why your scores are so low.

Real world performance will see a very little difference. so please do yourself a favor, and forget 3dmark.

Oh, BTW, i got the 610i verson of this board to take a Celeron D 2.66ghz to 3.8ghz with almost no voltage increase.

i've also heard it'll take an E2180 to 3ghz.

thats why i like these boards. theyre cheap, reliable, come with great warranties, and can STILL overclock after all that.

the reason why is because these 610i and 630i boards are NOT dual channel capapble for the memory.

Thanks, that's useful to know. I don't know what test has been run for performance, though it could be 3dmark. Doesn't matter really, as it's now running stable it'll make for a fine Christmas present :)

Thanks, that's useful to know. I don't know what test has been run for performance, though it could be 3dmark. Doesn't matter really, as it's now running stable it'll make for a fine Christmas present :)

run some games, or maybe super pi.

or, make your own multi tasking tests. unzip a huge .rar archive, while running an antivirus scan or something, see how it pans out.

Confirmed it was 3dmark 2006, and will suggest Super Pi. Can't do it myself as new PC is 200 miles away, so probably won't get looked at until next week. Thanks again for the suggestions :)

Confirmed it was 3dmark 2006, and will suggest Super Pi. Can't do it myself as new PC is 200 miles away, so probably won't get looked at until next week. Thanks again for the suggestions :)

super pi might also show weaknesses. definitely try a multi tasking test though.

you have yourself a solid board there. it should last you awhile.

A friend of mine has that exact same board, and he's very pleased with it

I have a 7100/630i variant (ASUS P5N-EM HDMI) which is solid as can be (while the board itself is MicroATX, it's in a full-size ATX case). I have a Celeron DC E1200, though the board can take any other Core 2 or LGA775 variation thereof (from single-core and other DC Celerons to the Core 2 Extremes and Quads; not exactly commonplace for a budget board). The onboard nVidia graphics actually supports Aero (though at a cost in system RAM, though that can be minimized; this board also support PCIe x16), even in Windows x64 (the drivers for XP64 and Vista x64, which I'm running, are actually included).

Depending on future finances, I'm going to likely be upgrading to a Q9300 in stages over the next three months and bumping the RAM to 4 GB (and, of course, swapping in an HD48xx graphics card, likely from HIS, as it's the only one that doesn't require a PSU change)

I have a 7100/630i variant (ASUS P5N-EM HDMI) which is solid as can be (while the board itself is MicroATX, it's in a full-size ATX case). I have a Celeron DC E1200, though the board can take any other Core 2 or LGA775 variation thereof (from single-core and other DC Celerons to the Core 2 Extremes and Quads; not exactly commonplace for a budget board). The onboard nVidia graphics actually supports Aero (though at a cost in system RAM, though that can be minimized; this board also support PCIe x16), even in Windows x64 (the drivers for XP64 and Vista x64, which I'm running, are actually included).

Depending on future finances, I'm going to likely be upgrading to a Q9300 in stages over the next three months and bumping the RAM to 4 GB (and, of course, swapping in an HD48xx graphics card, likely from HIS, as it's the only one that doesn't require a PSU change)

yeah. the board is a really good value for the money you pay for it.

i'm pretty sure it'll take an e 2180 to 3ghz no problem.

Back