nForce 3 onBoard Realtek audio died?

branana

Limp Gawd
I've been experiencing some random crashes over a previously fine XP box while playing World of Warcraft. I thought something was up, since these crashes started happening recently after I cleaned/re-applyed AC5 to my 6800GT AGP. (Lowered Temps from 110C to 55C since dust was completely blocking airflow)

Now today, when I tried to watch a WMV stream (Canucks.com), there were no sound. I made sure that channels are unmuted and speakers are on. the nForce audio mixer was showing the equalizer as playing audio. (Bouncing equalizers). I realized that there were no sound coming from anything. Video/audio/system sound/line-in

- I double made sure all the cables worked with the XBOX360.
- Made sure it wasn't the audio cable by plugging in a headset directly into the speaker jack on onboard audio.
- Tried the audio in WinXP first, then in Linux. No sound, despite all settings suggesting otherwise.

Can I safely assume that my onboard sound chip is busted? I didn't make any hardware/BIOS changes. the AC97 audio is enabled still like before. Device manager is showing that the hardware is working fine.

What gives?

It could certainly be possible that the chip, or something along the way, has died.

Before you write it off, though, you may want to do the following:

1) Check to be sure that you don't have anything muted in the controls.

2) Uninstall, and then re-install the audio drivers.

3) Do a system restore to a day that you know for certain, that the audio was working.

If none of the above work, then your audio is most likely dead, but at least you now have the perfect excuse to get something much better in terms of audio quality!

Failed to produce sound in Windows and Linux. Both were previously working.

Back