NF7-S OC Help

distr0

Limp Gawd
here's the deal

i have the nf7-s 2.0 with a 2600+ but i cant get anywhere near the speeds everyone else is quoting. 185fsb (x11.5) is the highest i can get without crashing completely but even then prime95 is giving errors!

i read all through http://www.lvcoyote.com/ and set everything accordingly but i just cant get any performance out of this thing.

the memory i'm using is ultra pc3200 dual channel. any help is appreciated, i KNOW i should be able to get above 200 fsb

edit: voltage rails are all A+ so i doubt it's a power supply issue either

what could be holding me back?

edit: i think my chip may be running too hot (around 60c under load) could that be ther problem? my last chip was still very stable even hotter than that so i didnt think it was a problem but now everyones temps seem to be alot lower

i've tried almost every voltage possible (up to 1.9). anything under 1.75 wont boot windows, anything above 1.8 works for a little while but then crashes, shuts down completely and gives an alternating high-low-high-low beeping. i'm not sure exactly what that beep code means either, scared the crap out of me though the first time :D

the beeping is just yer temp protection alarm, when you reach whatever temp is set in the bios it alarms out so you dont fry yer proc.

fazzman said:
the beeping is just yer temp protection alarm, when you reach whatever temp is set in the bios it alarms out so you dont fry yer proc.

are you sure about that? i set my temp alarms pretty high in bios, its not getting anywhere near 90c

Lower the multiplier to 11, and then raise the fsb oh and around 1.8-1.85v for the core v. That should get you better OC results.

Cook_1 said:
Lower the multiplier to 11, and then raise the fsb oh and around 1.8-1.85v for the core v. That should get you better OC results.

multiplier is locked :(

Ahhh, not a mobile chip then. I recently just sold my mobile chip and what I would notice is that with a multiplier of 11.5 I couldn't OC up very far, but when I dropped the multi I was able to really crank up the FSB.

i know i should have picked up a mobile instead, but i still have seen people with the exact same setup getting way higher speeds than i am

When overclocking with Xp's, ideally you'd like to stay around 40 C, at LEAST be under 50 C under load. Lower is obviously better. 60 C is definetly the weak link, you should evaluate the air flow in your case AND your HSF. Are you just using stock or running something else?

THIS is the heatsink i'm using. either it sucks or just not sanded down enough. i'm idling around 50, 60 under load.

if anyone has a mobile xp around 2400-2600 or a better heatsink for a good price pm me

get a nice xp-90 or xp-120 problem solved and looks awesome too. Get it with blue leds ooooooooh :eek:

What type of thermal paste are you using? Or are you just using the thermal pad that came with the HSF? A crappy thermal pad can make a huge difference.

sage19 said:
What type of thermal paste are you using? Or are you just using the thermal pad that came with the HSF? A crappy thermal pad can make a huge difference.

its arctic silver 3

185 fsb right now, vcore 1.75 and im still at 62c under load! does this heatsink just suck really bad?

if i up the voltage to 1.85 and the fsb to 190, everythng crashes when i get around 60c

this seems to be stable for the time being, but 185fsb is just pathetic

Well, if you're using AS3 and STILL getting 60C, methinks its time for a new HSF...
That one looks like a fine STOCK heat sink, but doesn't look so good for overclocking...
umbra's recommendation of the xp-90 or xp-120 is good, most thermalright HSF are great. I'm using a SLK800A right now. You might be able to find one of the older ones like the SLK800A, SK7 if you're on a budget and look around.
They're usually VERY expensive, but when you want the best, Thermalright if usually right at the top of the list.

sage19 said:
Well, if you're using AS3 and STILL getting 60C, methinks its time for a new HSF...
That one looks like a fine STOCK heat sink, but doesn't look so good for overclocking...
umbra's recommendation of the xp-90 or xp-120 is good, most thermalright HSF are great. I'm using a SLK800A right now. You might be able to find one of the older ones like the SLK800A, SK7 if you're on a budget and look around.
They're usually VERY expensive, but when you want the best, Thermalright if usually right at the top of the list.

agreed, i'm looking at a SLK-900A right now

i think i've made progress. 2000 grit sandpaper is my new friend.

195 fsb @1.85vcore running prime95 for about 15 minutes, no errors so far :) temps seem to be stable around 54c, hope it doesnt climb much more than that.

going to try 200 fsb in another 15 minutes

yeah i know its still hot. im happy that the heatsink is definately the problem though. new heatsink and i should be able to get something descent.

i might pick up a 2400 mobile though as well.. they just seem so much better

Well, whether you invest in one of the more expensive heatsinks should be balanced by how long you plan on staying with socket a. Personally unless you could get one for 40 or less, it doesn't seem worth it to me. But then again if you're going to be using this setup for awhile, 50 bucks even to keep temps down to the 40-50 range AND allow you to get the max out of the processor becomes the best option...

sage19 said:
Well, whether you invest in one of the more expensive heatsinks should be balanced by how long you plan on staying with socket a. Personally unless you could get one for 40 or less, it doesn't seem worth it to me. But then again if you're going to be using this setup for awhile, 50 bucks even to keep temps down to the 40-50 range AND allow you to get the max out of the processor becomes the best option...

well, i just found a SLK-900A for $35 from someone on here so im going to pick that up and see what happens

edit: how long does this damn noobie status stay for?

hell of deal! With the right fan that should cure your problem. Now to balance that whole how loud you want your computer to be versus how fast. (currently without anything else on but the computer in my house I can here it one the other side of it :) 75 cfm fan on full blast) I looked around and couldn't find one at any of the normal online shops, so that was probablly gonna be your best bet. Post back when you're up and running to give us the good news!

sage19 said:
currently without anything else on but the computer in my house I can here it one the other side of it :)

haha my last rig was like that. i had a volcano 7 and i accidently crushed the temp. probe which made it run full speed all the time. it cooled really well but sounded like a wind tunnel.

Damn, just noticed that i miss spelled hear :eek:
Yeah, I've got that orange thermaltake fan. Pushes 74 cfm, so it cools great. Only reason I have it right now is actually because in the previous apartment I lived in, the landlady had control of the heat and was ALWAYS cold. I live in Michigan my wife and I used to open the windows in the winter because the heat was up so high! It was kinda funny because one night I shut the computer off before going to bed. I ended up turning it back on because the background noise it provided covered up some of the sounds of the cars driving by outside!
:D

damn this forum moves fast... this was burried 8 pages back

anywho, i got a better heatsink (SLK-900A) temps max out around 48c. everything seems stable at 200x11.5 @ 1.85 vcore but anything past that gets unstable. i was really hoping for a little more out of it, can anyone think of anything else i can try? i know its not my ram holding me back because i can adjust the ratio to get the ram up to 450 at stock voltage and memtest passes everything. do i just have a bad cpu?

Refresh me - is that processor multiplier locked?
I've lost track of which are and aren't. Specifically can you LOWER the multiplier. Then try and raise the FSB some more.
Honestly though, after looking around a bit, I believe that 2.3 really isn't all that bad an OC on that processor. Assuming that the processor you have is the one that has a default clock of 1.9 ghz you're getting a 21% OC, which is actually around the target for standard XP's with air cooling.
You're NOT going to get a 30% or higher OC out of that processor, not without extreme cooling or having a fully unlocked processor.
If you're really looking for an extremely high overclock going with one of the mobiles you mentioned before is the best bet.
So no, you didn't get a BAD overclocking processor, just a run of the mill.
BTW, what speed/cfm fan are you running on that SLK-900A?

it's 92mm enermax adjustable speed fan at 2400 rpm according to mbm. thats wierd, it looks and sounds faster than that.

the processor is locked unfortunately. i bought everything in a rush when i upgraded from my old tbird and didnt really research enough to know that the mobiles were so much better :(

i realize that the overclock isnt that bad but i have seen people with the exact same setup getting better results

Completely locked huh? Without being able to even lower your multiplier I don't see you getting much more out of that processor.

U can check the coolsystem of the NB, i have met THe same case withe my previous 8RDA+( A2 Rev NB),but i was lucky,even Prime95 under 205FSB was ok,but the super PI 100W results was so bad.

When i install the zalman nb47j to the NB,all problem was ok. :D

there is no way to unlock the barton like you could with the tbirds back in the day right?

Okay, since you are not unlocked you have one of the newer bartons that don't unlock automatically with the NF7-S.
Read this link and search for WIRE TRICK. Read that post, it will explain to you how to unlock your barton.

Summary: You can't unlock the bridges actually on the CPU anymore, BUT you can connect two pins on the underside of the cpu or in the cpu socket with a piece of wire and get the same effect. The post you will be searching for will give you a full explanation of it and a link showing you which pins to connect.
Good luck!

hmm, looks simple enough

is it possible to damage the chip or board doing the wire trick? what happens if the wrong pins get shorted?

bah, who cares... if it dies ill buy a mobile :)

so i open up my case last night after hearing some strange whinning noises the night before. the northbridge fan on my 3 week old motherboard is completely seized up. every abit board i have owned has this same problem, the fans do not last more than 2-3 weeks! abit fans are the devil!

/anger

so now im thinking of putting an old hsf from a pentium 133 on the northbridge to replace the stock cooler. is that a good idea?

so i did the wire trick a few days ago, but my multiplier is still locked! what the hell?? this chip just doesnt like me. i even tore everything apart and checked it again and the wire is placed

so im stable at 200x11.5 which isnt that bad but i really wanted to drop the multi and get my fsb up a bit.

why would the wire trick not work??

no one has had the wire trick fail before?

i used the wire from an ide cable, could it be too small?

Back