Nf4U Mobos - I've tried, but can't decide

truffle00

2[H]4U
So I'm in the market for a new Nforce4 Ultra board, since I'm not going to be able to afford SLI anytime soon. I've been going back and forth on a couple motherboards and just can't decide. For this build, I will be using:

-Venice 3200+ or Opteron 144 or 146
-Centon 2 x 1 GB PC4000 (Samsung UCCC on Brainpower PCB, RAM is not yet released apparently)
-Seasonic 600W PSU
-7800 GTX
-3 HDs
-Thermalright SI-120 or Thermaltake CL-P0114 heatsink

Issues I need addressed:

1) I would really like a board with dual ethernet, but if I can't accomodate that then I will have to make do.

2) I cannot compromise on the 3 HDs, and I don't know if it's rumor or fact, but from what I've heard some Nf4U boards don't lock all their SATA ports, limiting the overclock.

3) I need to be able to overclock well. I don't need 350 HTT, but 300 should be doable.

4) I think I would prefer to use the Thermaltake CL-P0114 heatsink, since it seems to perform well and includes a quiet fan, which will help save some money.

5) I need at least 2 PCI slots free (for my sound card and TV tuner), and I don't want to have a 7800 GTX placed right up against that...room to breathe would be good, so I either need spacing between the slots or 3 PCI slots.

The obvious choice is DFI, but I'm hesitant for several reasons:
-The DFI requires 4 power adapters, which I know will end up being messy.
-DFIs seem to be pickier about RAM than other motherboards, and I don't know if it will accept my RAM or not.
-I will be using a Seasonic power supply which, while good, isn't a Powerstream or PCP&C and I don't want to catch flak for it if I need troubleshooting help.
-I don't know if the DFI will accomodate the heatsinks I chose.
-If it will accomdate it, can I put my videocard in the top PCI-E slot or will that not fit?

I really don't know where to go from here, can anyone help?

truffle00 said:
So I'm in the market for a new Nforce4 Ultra board, since I'm not going to be able to afford SLI anytime soon. I've been going back and forth on a couple motherboards and just can't decide. For this build, I will be using:

-Venice 3200+ or Opteron 144 or 146
-Centon 2 x 1 GB PC4000 (Samsung UCCC on Brainpower PCB, RAM is not yet released apparently)
-Seasonic 600W PSU
-7800 GTX
-3 HDs
-Thermalright SI-120 or Thermaltake CL-P0114 heatsink

Issues I need addressed:

1) I would really like a board with dual ethernet, but if I can't accomodate that then I will have to make do.

2) I cannot compromise on the 3 HDs, and I don't know if it's rumor or fact, but from what I've heard some Nf4U boards don't lock all their SATA ports, limiting the overclock.

3) I need to be able to overclock well. I don't need 350 HTT, but 300 should be doable.

4) I think I would prefer to use the Thermaltake CL-P0114 heatsink, since it seems to perform well and includes a quiet fan, which will help save some money.

5) I need at least 2 PCI slots free (for my sound card and TV tuner), and I don't want to have a 7800 GTX placed right up against that...room to breathe would be good, so I either need spacing between the slots or 3 PCI slots.

The obvious choice is DFI, but I'm hesitant for several reasons:
-The DFI requires 4 power adapters, which I know will end up being messy.
-DFIs seem to be pickier about RAM than other motherboards, and I don't know if it will accept my RAM or not.
-I will be using a Seasonic power supply which, while good, isn't a Powerstream or PCP&C and I don't want to catch flak for it if I need troubleshooting help.
-I don't know if the DFI will accomodate the heatsinks I chose.
-If it will accomdate it, can I put my videocard in the top PCI-E slot or will that not fit?

I really don't know where to go from here, can anyone help?
First off, take a deep breath and relax. :p
Your Seasonic is a top notch PSU, i think their better than a powerstream so don't worry about that.
The DFI will probably be fine. If you are not sure, check out the N9PA+ from Epox. With the new bios update you can adjust ram voltage up to 3.3v so it can tweak almost like the DFI now anyway.
I think you are worrying too much, i bet everything will be all good :).

LOL sorry, I've just been holding that in for a while now. And I know the Seasonic is a good PSU, but if I were to ask for help at somewhere like DFI street people would likely point to that as the problem and not look further...they don't seem to take to well to individuality over there. Two things about the Epox though:
1) Does it have 4 locked SATA ports?
2) No dual ethernet. :( I guess I can live without it...I dunno. If anything from Asus or MSI would be a pretty sure 300 HTT and have the locked SATA ports I'd rather try that route first.

Ive used a few Abit An8 Ultra boards, been happy with all of them.

The one in my home machine is rock solid, good quality board.

Well, Newegg got some DFI refurbs in for $80 so I just picked up one of those...I'm blowing way too much money on this build as it is, so between this and the 3D Fuzion 7800 GTX w/ $40 MIR I'm hoping to save some money.

Back