Nexus Prime / Droid Prime (Google's third reference phone - Ice Cream Sandwich)

okashira

[H]ard|Gawd
Let's use this thread for recent rumors and speculation for this next superphone.

This one is supposibly a huge release and a big jump in hardware and and software.

I'll start with the current rumors:

*Samsung
*4.5" or 4.65" screen with no dedicated buttons (same size phone as current 4.3" phones)
*1280x720 AMOLED display :eek:
*1.2 - 1.5 GHz OMAP4460 or equivalent
*5MP camera that will actually be good - 5MP on the sensor size of current 8MP cameras (4)
*Ice Cream Sandwich (hardware accelerated UI, among other things).
*4G / LTE
*1GB RAM
*October / November

Here are some model #'s for tracking
SCH-i515 (DROID PRIME, BLUETOOTH CERT AUG 29, WIFI CERT SEPT 2)
(note DROID CHARGE is SCH-i510)

GT-i9250 (commonly refered to in the media as the NEXUS PRIME) (BLUETOOTH CERT SEPT. 5)
http://wap.samsungmobile.com/uaprof/nexusprime.xml <--- Shows NEXUS PRIME as GT-i9250

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391905,00.asp
http://www.bgr.com/2011/08/29/verizon-wireless-exclusively-launching-samsung-droid-prime-in-october/
(3)http://www.anandtech.com/show/4170/qualcomms-announces-krait-cpu-the-successor-to-scorpion
(4)http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/15/exclusive-google-nexus-4g-detailed-720p-display-4g-lte-android-4-0/
http://translate.google.de/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=ko&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.etnews.com%2Fnews%2Fdetail.html%3Fid%3D201108180175
http://www.telefonino.net/Samsung/Notizie/n27803/Svelata-la-roadmap-2011-di-Samsung.html

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to it being buttonless too. I'm hoping it will be Motorola over Samsung, but I don't think that's going to happen even with Google's potential acquisition.

I'm hoping it will be an October launch, but there's a high chance it'll be November.

If Krait is quadcore and the Nexus Prime has that...I'm going to be sooooooo happy.

Gingerbread already has hardware accelerated UI, will Ice Cream Sandwhich be doing much more in that aspect?

I'm looking forward to it being buttonless too. I'm hoping it will be Motorola over Samsung, but I don't think that's going to happen even with Google's potential acquisition.

I'm hoping it will be an October launch, but there's a high chance it'll be November.

If Krait is quadcore and the Nexus Prime has that...I'm going to be sooooooo happy.

Gingerbread already has hardware accelerated UI, will Ice Cream Sandwhich be doing much more in that aspect?

Krait is dualcore. Why do you want quadcore?

Gingerbread is not hardware accelerated.

Samsung is definitely making the Nexus/Droid Prime.

I think the internals are pretty sketchy at the moment. Some rumors say TI OMAP, some say Qualcomm Snapdragon. I'll be happy with anything but Tegra 2.

I'd love a 4.5 inch screen.

I plan to pay T-Mobile an early termination fee and switch to Verizon when this thing comes out, assuming there are no big disappointments.

Main reason is I want to be on a vanilla "Nexus" phone so I don't get screwed on the update cycle like I did with my T-Mobile Vibrant (seriously still only on Android 2.2?).

I think the internals are pretty sketchy at the moment. Some rumors say TI OMAP, some say Qualcomm Snapdragon. I'll be happy with anything but Tegra 2.

I plan to pay T-Mobile an early termination fee and switch to Verizon when this thing comes out, assuming there are no big disappointments.

Main reason is I want to be on a vanilla "Nexus" phone so I don't get screwed on the update cycle like I did with my T-Mobile Vibrant (seriously still only on Android 2.2?).

Still not fully confirmed that the DROID PRIME is indeed the NEXUS PRIME

GT-i9250 (commonly refered to in the media as the NEXUS PRIME) (BLUETOOTH CERT SEPT. 5)

Still not fully confirmed that the DROID PRIME is indeed the NEXUS PRIME

Yeah, this kind of echos that too. Showing that two different Primes have went through WiFi/BT certification. Did the other Nexus phones have different model #s across the different carriers though? I would think they would be slightly different (only different by a character or two), not as different as the models quoted above. Hopefully that's just because they're on different carriers and they have identical hardware otherwise.

Also, I hope there's no merit in the WVGA listing in the Primes agent profile. I'm sure it's listed like that for reasons they speculated in the article. There's no way Google's next flagship phone will have less than a qHD display. That would certainly be a deal breaker for me and prolly push me to go ahead and get the Bionic because I'm getting damn tired of my Droid and how shitty it runs on the anemic amount of RAM it has coupled with all the services/apps I have on it.

Krait is dualcore. Why do you want quadcore?

Gingerbread is not hardware accelerated.

Krait can be single, dual or quad according to the Anandtech article in the first post. It's probably going to be dual(since it mentioned the quad is for tablets), but I can always hope :p

I was wrong about Gingerbread being hardware accelerated. Apparently that was a rumour that just turned out to be updated drivers and other graphical enhancements...but not real hardware acceleration. Which makes me excited as I did notice that difference and hardware acceleration should be even more noticeable.

Dual core krait is 8x faster than the nexus one's snapdragon + hardware acceleration...it's going to be blissful.

I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Verizon too. I know I don't want to give ATT my money again. Having a Nexus is extremely nice for the updates...and the awesome dev community in general.

I'm really hoping it won't be labelled as the Droid Prime.

I was hoping the Tegra 2s would have taken of better...too bad for Nvidia.

Also, I hope there's no merit in the WVGA listing in the Primes agent profile. I'm sure it's listed like that for reasons they speculated in the article. There's no way Google's next flagship phone will have less than a qHD display. That would certainly be a deal breaker for me and prolly push me to go ahead and get the Bionic because I'm getting damn tired of my Droid and how shitty it runs on the anemic amount of RAM it has coupled with all the services/apps I have on it.

The only reason I've seen phones launching with less than qHD today is if they have AMOLED screens. However, with a 4.5" screen they should be able to have a AMOLED qHD screen...full WVGA would be quite nice.

Hell id ditch my TB if vzw will let me keep my unlimited 4g. Might just buy the phone outright if it's as awesome as it sounds.

Hell id ditch my TB if vzw will let me keep my unlimited 4g. Might just buy the phone outright if it's as awesome as it sounds.
Same here. I just got a BB 9930 (reimbursed from work), but will buy the Nexus myself if it meets expectations.

Super happy this thread was made.. Been waiting a long time for it, but waaaay too lazy to create it myself..! Hahaa.

Can anyone break down the differences between these processors, in layman terms?

Can anyone break down the differences between these processors, in layman terms?

Tegra 2 uses Nvidia's GPU, TI OMAP 44xx uses a PowerVR SGX540 or SGX544, and Snapdragon uses an Adreno 200 or 205. Tegra 2 and TI's OMAP 44xx are both Cortex A9. Snapdragon is Qualcomm's own design, but it is similar to the Cortex line in performance and features.

As for performance between the 3, *shrug*, I've got no clue.

And exynos uses the Mali 400.

And wins. Wins everything.

Indeed. I think TIs aren't far behind though, with Tegra and Qualcomm trailing the others. But this just based strictly on synthetic CPU benchmarking that I've seen across all the platforms. I don't think it translates to much of a difference in real-world usage even between a Exynos and Snapdragon CPU if they're both clocked similarly.

Am I reading correctly in that XML feed there will be a physical keyboard on the nexus prime?

If Google released an 'experience' phone with a physical keyboard I'd never look back....although it's looking promising that existing Moto phones *could* go that route with their acquisition!

Please let this phone be released in October! I've been itching to upgrade my original Moto Droid for the past few months, but if the Prime has the specs that have been rumored, it's worth waiting another month or two. I don't think ill be able to hold out much longer than that since my fiance also wants a new phone, and we are planning to just go ahead and go in together.

If Google released an 'experience' phone with a physical keyboard I'd never look back....although it's looking promising that existing Moto phones *could* go that route with their acquisition!

Pretty much why I've stuck with my Droid for so long. The only reason I want to upgrade form it is that the hardware can't keep up with the newest software and all the stuff I put on it. If they would just release another OG Droid (unlocked bootloader and all) with Bionic internals, then I would be extremely happy again.

It almost boggles the mind how much common sense that makes, yet hasn't yet happened. Google HAS to know that us geeks who do SSH etc on our phones require a keyboard.

I'm very excited about this phone. My last upgrade was a long time ago. I'm still on the Mytouch 3G, and I am in much need of an upgrade. I'm hoping for a October release, but the way these release date works, it'll probably be more like December.

http://wap.samsungmobile.com/uaprof/nexusprime.xml

^^ all but confirms that the "NEXUS PRIME" is the "GT-I9250"

(the page also lists 800x480 and ARM11, but I believe these are there for legacy reasons.)

Seeing an awful lot of mention of this 480x800 resolution on the latest news articles about this phone. I'm especially curious since apparently there's a way to get out of Sprint contracts for the next 30 days. 480x800 would be very disappointing though.

Seeing an awful lot of mention of this 480x800 resolution on the latest news articles about this phone. I'm especially curious since apparently there's a way to get out of Sprint contracts for the next 30 days. 480x800 would be very disappointing though.

ALL of the "news" is from that little xml document. Remember most of the news out there is just sourced from other news sites.
There is no way it will be 480x800. If it is I will order the BIONIC tomorrow.

ALL of the "news" is from that little xml document. Remember most of the news out there is just sourced from other news sites.
There is no way it will be 480x800. If it is I will order the BIONIC tomorrow.

Yeah, same here, lol. But like I said before, there's absolutely no way it would be less than a qHD screen, but I don't see why it wouldn't be the HD screen that other phones are supposed to have by then anyways.

Someone in the other thread found a link stating that the XML file in question is just a copy/paste of the Nexus S, and therefore completely irrelevant. Hopefully there will be a solid release date in the next 28 days, since this is the only phone I would consider giving up my OG Evo early for.

Someone in the other thread found a link stating that the XML file in question is just a copy/paste of the Nexus S, and therefore completely irrelevant. Hopefully there will be a solid release date in the next 28 days, since this is the only phone I would consider giving up my OG Evo early for.

Except for the model number, which they must have took the time to edit.

I just pray they include a notification LED... still can't believe the Nexus S doesn't have one

LOL @ gay ass consoles.

Damn cell phones are smokin em'

I wish the console business would go away for a while and let PC games come back like they reigned in the 90's and early 2000'ish years.

"1.2 - 1.5 GHz Krait 28nm snapdragon (3D performance near or equal PS3 / XBOX 360) "

I am sorry but.................. this is not going to happen.

There are sources now saying that the Samsung "Droid" Prime will no longer be a pure Google experience phone.

Can't say I'm surprised - after the OG Droid, I don't think VZW will allow a phone with an unlocked bootloader on their network anymore.

Look at the phones HTC has unlocked so far:
http://htcdev.com/bootloader

....not one VZW phone. Coincidence? I think not.

I went with the BIONIC and it came in Tuesday.
LTE is insanely fast. Like faster then WIFI over a good internet connection.
Impatiently waiting for Cyanogenmod to be ported.

FYI,

our corp plan is $80/mo - 21% discount = $64.80/mo for unlimited LTE data, 500 TXT, 450 (shared contribution minutes)
1 year contract, the BIONIC was $289.99

Now that I have been talking about choosing a phone and "what's in" my coworkers and boss have gotten interested. My boss says he is now waiting for the DROID PRIME/NEXUS PRIME and *might* let me touch it when it comes out, lol.

I just didn't want to wait anymore.

I am now selling my Sprint SERO 500 $30/mo plan (month to month, 4 yr $150 upgrade credit) for anyone interested.

Back