Nexus 7 Tablet Hands-On

Expandable store is a must-have for me. At any pricepoint. It's not worth it if I can't take my music library with me on a few 64gb SDHC's.

Why no cloud? After all, that's what this product is designed around: Google Play. Upload your music library and use GP instead. It's that easy . . . that is unless you are in a no wi-fi area, which then I can understand.

Everyone seems to be having massive heart attacks over the SD card slot thing. If you "need" the SD card slot, then go get something else. Simple enough. But mark my words, I see this no SD card slot thing becoming a trend/standard in the future. Everything is going to the cloud whether you like it or not.

Seriously guys it's not hard to grasp why they didn't include a memory slot. Let's say they can produce this tablet for $160 or somewhere thereabouts. That's not an awful lot of profit considering any other costs which may be attributed to mass producing the tablet as a whole. Adding a memory slot would absolutely decrease the amount of people buying the 16GB tablet. So they leave it out and hope that the increased number of people buying the 16GB version is more significant then the number of people who flat out don't buy the tablet. Was it a gamble? Yes. But that's all that's happening here. I have no doubt in my mind that Google could have thrown in HDMI and the SD card reader and kept the same prices. It would just be extremely risky and it would increase the risks of already slim profit margins.

It comes down to two options. Simply choose the one you think to be more likely (I'm not taking a stance here).

Proposition #1
The majority of people buying the Nexus 7 would have taken note of the inclusion of an SD card and neglected to buy the 16GB version, decreasing the money made on each tablet by ~$50. The number of people buying the tablet as a result of the SD card inclusion is higher, but not high enough to cover the aforementioned losses. Net loss for google.

Proposition #2
2. The majority of people buying the Nexus 7 would not have taken note of the inclusion of an SD card and the number of consumers buying the 16GB version would not have been significantly affected. The number of consumers buying the tablet is higher. Net win for google.

Seriously guys it's not hard to grasp why they didn't include a memory slot. Let's say they can produce this tablet for $160 or somewhere thereabouts. That's not an awful lot of profit considering any other costs which may be attributed to mass producing the tablet as a whole. Adding a memory slot would absolutely decrease the amount of people buying the 16GB tablet. So they leave it out and hope that the increased number of people buying the 16GB version is more significant then the number of people who flat out don't buy the tablet. Was it a gamble? Yes. But that's all that's happening here. I have no doubt in my mind that Google could have thrown in HDMI and the SD card reader and kept the same prices. It would just be extremely risky and it would increase the risks of already slim profit margins.

It comes down to two options. Simply choose the one you think to be more likely (I'm not taking a stance here).

Proposition #1
The majority of people buying the Nexus 7 would have taken note of the inclusion of an SD card and neglected to buy the 16GB version, decreasing the money made on each tablet by ~$50. The number of people buying the tablet as a result of the SD card inclusion is higher, but not high enough to cover the aforementioned losses. Net loss for google.

Proposition #2
2. The majority of people buying the Nexus 7 would not have taken note of the inclusion of an SD card and the number of consumers buying the 16GB version would not have been significantly affected. The number of consumers buying the tablet is higher. Net win for google.

This is probably why they didn't include it. Plus, if they gave you a microSD slot, they (Google) wouldn't get any of the profit that would come from that expandable memory because they (Google) don't sell expandable memory.

Also, if you have no choice but to access your shit using the cloud (after the first 6 GB of course) then you will likely make use of Google's services, something that Google is banking on.

So much for do no evil... I understand profit is always at the end of the equation but it really is a shame to not have microSD on this. Even if you don't NEED it it's good to have the capability.

So much for do no evil... I understand profit is always at the end of the equation but it really is a shame to not have microSD on this. Even if you don't NEED it it's good to have the capability.

Hyperbole and sense of entitlement, much?

How much do you think it would cost to put a microSD slot on the device? How much would it add to the BOM? Not much. The only reason they didn't include microSD is to force you into the Google ecosystem. I expect better from a company that says it "[does] no evil".

The so-called 'evil' behavior apparently doesn't actually bother you if you'll still buy the product.

Bitches about evil; evil not really a problem. Makes complete sense.

no HDMI output... really?

I would take ANY 7" IPS screen tablet from China over this with the new Rockchip or Allwinner chipset.

Back