Nexus 7 Shipping. Got yours?

Im liking it, even though its just a giant Galaxy Nexus, which isnt a bad thing.

To get the full tablet experience you'll need to force a false dpi reporting down to 160-170. Once you do this, it goes from the phone-style interface to the tablet one.

When you do this, however, Google Play Store will initially think you don't have any apps you can buy because the dpi no longer matches. There are workarounds, easiest done by using dpi-adjusting apps that will do all the reloads and cache clears for you a lot easier.

Oddly enough, I had no issues with the google play store after modding my pixel density.

Oddly enough, I had no issues with the google play store after modding my pixel density.

The store will still work, it will just not show you some of the apps if it thinks your resolution is not compatible with that particular app. That is why workarounds are sometimes needed.

Ordered July 3rd, play store has stated shipping 1-2 weeks; received my email last night saying it has shipped out overnight - says it's out on the truck for delivery today.

I've a galaxy Nexus and have fooled around with other tablets, just not owned one. I'm interested to see if it really just feels like a big phone =D

Ordered July 3rd, play store has stated shipping 1-2 weeks; received my email last night saying it has shipped out overnight - says it's out on the truck for delivery today.

I've a galaxy Nexus and have fooled around with other tablets, just not owned one. I'm interested to see if it really just feels like a big phone =D

People that have a Galaxy Nexus have said it really does feel just like a big phone :p

Why get this if you already have a Nexus phone? Just want an extra device? (That is a good reason - I would like a tablet in every room, tbh).

It just arrived - so far I like it but I've concerns over the speaker it sounds terrible, not because it's a small mono speaker, I expect it to be low end but because I think there is something wrong with it as it has way to much distortion, even at low volume.

As for wanting a bigger nexus phone ;), phone is too small for reading books on or surfing for my tastes and I recently sold all my paper books and wanted to switch over to digital only; also, I use my phone a lot for other things besides texting and calls thereby draining my batter and ALWAYS having to have it charging...oh and I like gadgets ;)

It just arrived - so far I like it but I've concerns over the speaker it sounds terrible, not because it's a small mono speaker, I expect it to be low end but because I think there is something wrong with it as it has way to much distortion, even at low volume.

As for wanting a bigger nexus phone ;), phone is too small for reading books on or surfing for my tastes and I recently sold all my paper books and wanted to switch over to digital only; also, I use my phone a lot for other things besides texting and calls thereby draining my batter and ALWAYS having to have it charging...oh and I like gadgets ;)

Pisses me off that I ordered mine a whole day before you did and mine hasn't even shipped yet. I do get the liking gadgets thing. :)

Edit: Mine shipped out last night and should arrive today. Never got an email, but I don't care about that. I was tired of being pissed. :)

Last edited:
Anyone know how to get browsers to word wrap so I Dont have to scroll around the page?

Got mine...could not be happier. For people on the edge...go for the 16GB. The Nexus, with the default OS, reserves about 3GB for numerous things thus an 8GB tablet is really 5GB.

Haven't had that problem.

I'm talking about in the browser, zooming in. You have to scroll around to see an article. I'm trying to figure out how to get the text to format correctly. Am I making sense?

Several of my apps come up saying they are not compatible with this device and hence won't load. Is this a resolution issue? What is the work around?

So, I'm loving this device.

How is the screen for reading? Any issues with JB like the original TF101 with HC?

It is not 2012 iPad, but I find reading the Nexus 7 Guidebook using the pre-loaded reader to be very nice. I haven't yet loaded up the Kindle reader yet. It is a light-weight and very snappy device. Frankly, I would not mind owning two to the guys. My Kindle Fire is dead meat next to this.

Google finally did two things right: This device and JellyBean!

ps: I'm still sorta pissed at Google for the GTV debacle.

Why get this if you already have a Nexus phone? Just want an extra device? (That is a good reason - I would like a tablet in every room, tbh).

I have a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7, also an iPad 3.

Galaxy Nexus screen is too small and the iPad is real sweet, but I am really liking the size and feel of this 7 inch tablet. It's like Goldilocks, not too big, not too small.

I'm talking about in the browser, zooming in. You have to scroll around to see an article. I'm trying to figure out how to get the text to format correctly. Am I making sense?

The stock Chrome browser does this. Opera and Firefox Beta also readjust text when zooming in. Dolphin sadly doesn't (shame it's probably the fastest browser).

Several of my apps come up saying they are not compatible with this device and hence won't load. Is this a resolution issue? What is the work around?

So, I'm loving this device.

Could be a variety of reasons. One them being that this is only one of two devices so far with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

HBO Go for example said it wasn't compatible with my Nexus 7 (or Galaxy Nexus).
So I installed it on my HP Touchpad instead with Android 4.0. Then copied the APK over to my Nexus 7 and installed it. It actually works great on my Nexus 7, so kinda annoying that some apps say not compatible when they perfectly are compatible.

Only time I think resolution would be an issue is if you did the DPI tweak from 213, to a tablet UI (160 to 177). Then some apps might not like that and say incompatible. If you are using 170 DPI or something, maybe try 160 since that is a standardized DPI apps should like. Or else just go back to 213, install the app, then go back to the lower DPI afterwards (might need to do the market fix inbetween).

Yeah, got mine. Glad I didn't root though, it's being swapped out tomorrow. Screen raising on the left. Shame because it is a great little device.

I have a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7, also an iPad 3.

Galaxy Nexus screen is too small and the iPad is real sweet, but I am really liking the size and feel of this 7 inch tablet. It's like Goldilocks, not too big, not too small.

Check! Matchea my thinking exactly.

I wish google would fix the PS resolution issue, though, resolution switching to install apps ought not to be necessary.

Last edited:
Have you guys tried the dictation? I like how it works. When you make corrections, it gives guesses that are very close to what you actually said, making corrections easy.

Would someone be so kind as to give the exact apps and locations so that I (and others, i'm sure) may install some of these apps that won't load on the Nexus 7? I am a bit disappointed by the number of my Android that that won't load, but as is typical there are workarounds for this.

Also, my understanding is that the non-rotating home screen is due to a widget that one can remove. I need to get rid of this non-rotating home screen. Anyone on top of this?

Yeah, got mine. Glad I didn't root though, it's being swapped out tomorrow. Screen raising on the left. Shame because it is a great little device.

Yup, got mine also but like you got the screen raising on the left. On hold with Google play as I type. Love it aside from the screen lift.

Also, my understanding is that the non-rotating home screen is due to a widget that one can remove. I need to get rid of this non-rotating home screen. Anyone on top of this?

Removing the widgets is very easy, just hold it for a few seconds then drag it onto the REMOVE. But it's not the widgets that prevent rotation, it's the stock launcher (with it's 213 DPI setting). You can either lower the DPI so it thinks it's a tablet or you can install a third party launcher like Nova or Apex launcher and have the option to enable rotation.

Removing the widgets is very easy, just hold it for a few seconds then drag it onto the REMOVE. But it's not the widgets that prevent rotation, it's the stock launcher (with it's 213 DPI setting). You can either lower the DPI so it thinks it's a tablet or you can install a third party launcher like Nova or Apex launcher and have the option to enable rotation.

Thanks. I will look into these options. Does using either launcher require a root? I can root, but I just prefer not to. I want a real tablet with a home screen that rotates. Not sure why Google did this fixed home screen thing.

Thanks. I will look into these options. Does using either launcher require a root? I can root, but I just prefer not to. I want a real tablet with a home screen that rotates. Not sure why Google did this fixed home screen thing.

No, you can easily change the stock launcher without rooting. I'd recommend checking out Zeam launcher if you are looking for a no-frills replacement for the stock launcher that supports portrait and landscape modes.

No, you can easily change the stock launcher without rooting. I'd recommend checking out Zeam launcher if you are looking for a no-frills replacement for the stock launcher that supports portrait and landscape modes.

Cool. Thanks.

The stock Chrome browser does this. Opera and Firefox Beta also readjust text when zooming in. Dolphin sadly doesn't (shame it's probably the fastest browser).

I cannot get this to work in Chrome. Even changing the settings. How are you gettting it to work?

Zeam will not let me install from the Play store. Not comparable.

Zeam will not let me install from the Play store. Not comparable.

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with it recently. Looks like the developer hasn't been active on it in awhile and it hasn't been updated for Jelly Bean compatibility. Too bad. I guess I'm on the hunt for a new launcher as well. Might have to check out Nova, it looks good.

How does one change the DPI settings?

sorry. moved my homescreen shot to a new thread.

Last edited:
We ordered ours on-line at Staples.ca with next day delivery ( no shipping costs) the Nexus 7 is a very nice, comfortable, lightweight, zippy device. Perfect size and weight, no need for rear facing camera. Unfortunately the 3.5 mm headphone jack was non-functioning No lifting screen or dead pixels in our tablet. Google Now, Play is seamless, and fast. Project Butter was successful. Returned to local Staples store, no issues, just waiting on next available stock to order again.

Back