Nexus 10: Still a good buy?

King of Heroes

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm wanting to buy a tablet for personal use (all the ones I've used so far and been for work), and I've been considering the Google Nexus 10 due to the resolution and the front-facing speakers. Though, I wonder if it makes sense to buy one now given that its 2 years old? I've not heard any news about its successors so I've no idea when or if that's coming out. The specs still seem decent and its apparently getting or has KitKat already. Should I just bite the bullet and get it or wait a bit?

There are rumors of a Samsung made new Nexus tablet coming out.

No credible ones.

Every time there is an event, rumor mongers say there will be a new Nexus 10, but it never shows up.

At this point it is pretty clear that sales must be slow and they are in no hurry to build another Nexus 10.

I would lean toward one of the similar spec tablets with an SD card slot.

No credible ones.

Every time there is an event, rumor mongers say there will be a new Nexus 10, but it never shows up.

At this point it is pretty clear that sales must be slow and they are in no hurry to build another Nexus 10.

I would lean toward one of the similar spec tablets with an SD card slot.

Are those tablets around the same price point as the Nexus 10? The front facing speakers are kind of a big deal for me too.

There are rumors of a Samsung made new Nexus tablet coming out.

I'll believe it when I see it. Google doesn't have any reason to tap Samsung to make this device, when they have other market partners who cooperate with them on Android strategy (rather than trying to fragment for their own gain) at their disposal.

Nexus 10 isn't really that great a deal anymore and it obviously didn't sell well enough for Google to follow it up quickly with a current model. The speakers on the Nexus 10 do face towards the front, but they're not that great acoustics-wise. If sound quality is a strong concern for you, look at a 9" Kindle HDX. The audio quality on that blows the Nexus (and most other tablets) out of the water.

Just over 1 year old. :) I'd replace mine if I had a good enough reason to replace it. I still haven't heard any tablet with better sounding speakers. I'm not sure what CEpeep finds bad about them.

The biggest disadvantage is probably the super high resolution. Not all apps and certainly web pages can scale with it. This is the same issue for all high resolution devices irrespective of OS. To work around the web page issue, I run Dolphin which is a bit better than Firefox and Chrome and can use Flash as well.

I still really, really like the native Android and like that I get the updates early. I don't mind dealing with the bugs. I suppose it is similar to loading the newest iOS in that respect. Support from the community of XDA Developers is also a major plus.

Back