Next Years Cards

dremic

Supreme [H]ardness
2012 January 9th the 7970 came out. it was what 600? or 500? i cant remember.

do you think the 8970 will launch at the same price point and the same time in 2013?

those of you that bought a 7970 early on paid a premium as you saw a decline in value quickly after the launch of the 680.. would you do it again?

I've learned not to buy best of class for this very reason. For instance I have GTX 670s and before that GTX 570s... I still can sell them for a decent price to make $ toward the next gen cards without taking a massive hit from having the best card like the GTX 680 or 690. Not to mention the difference in performance is not worth the extra $ to get the best of class card.

Interesting...

Maybe if AMD had issued the proper 12.11 performance drivers at 7970 launch, they would have had the fastest card out-of-the-gate so to speak, and could have kept their premium price on it much longer. Their driver support probably cost them A LOT of money.

Next go around, maybe if they can get +/- 30%(?) More performance they would try again?

Nvidia will probably come in later, if we follow the pattern.

Mind you, I got my 5870 at launch back a few years and I'm still very glad I did.

AMD is having financial issues, I am thinking we'll see new cards later in the year rather than January.

Quarter 2 of 2013 should see new AMD/ATI cards. Nvidia's new cards will come in around late 3rd, early 4th quarter...

AMD is having financial issues, I am thinking we'll see new cards later in the year rather than January.

AMDs most financially beneficial department is most likely GPUs and they probably saw a lot of profit from launching their cards earlier then nvidia.. nvidia is heavily favored i think most would agree

Quarter 2 of 2013 should see new AMD/ATI cards. Nvidia's new cards will come in around late 3rd, early 4th quarter...

source or speculation?

yes get 1 and red mod it . . overclocked it runs my eyefinnity setup well. need a frame limiter for crossfire to eliminate micro studer. no regrets:p

As AMD is having issues so nothing is confirmed yet!!
May be we will have new cards sometime in mid summer

2012 January 9th the 7970 came out. it was what 600? or 500? i cant remember.
those of you that bought a 7970 early on paid a premium as you saw a decline in value quickly after the launch of the 680.. would you do it again?
Smack dab in the middle actually - it was $550. However, the extra $100 paid as an early adopter tax was easily ameliorated (and then some) by the insane boost to bitcoin mining a 7970 gave. In just the ~3 1/2 months that the 7970 launched ahead of the GTX 680, I made probably ~$550 worth of bitcoins, so the card paid for itself probably just as the GTX 680 was being released.
do you think the 8970 will launch at the same price point and the same time in 2013?
Hopefully not. I think AMD has recuperated some of its R&D costs so it won't be so aggressive with pricing, but then again the whole company is having financial woes. Although they have competition from nvidia, prices aren't that much lower a year later - the 7970 GHz edition still goes for $450. You can imagine that if a 8970 is at least 20%, it's no small stretch for AMD to charge $550 again (and, unfortunately, bitcoin mining is much less profitable now).

Everything I've heard points to march 2012 for 8990->8970->8950 release.

Hopefully when they release these new cards they'll have the same massive OC headroom.

http://www.bitdreams.es/roadmapati.html
Nothing is confirmed yet. So calm down.

who isnt calm ? it was a question

Smack dab in the middle actually - it was $550. However, the extra $100 paid as an early adopter tax was easily ameliorated (and then some) by the insane boost to bitcoin mining a 7970 gave. In just the ~3 1/2 months that the 7970 launched ahead of the GTX 680, I made probably ~$550 worth of bitcoins, so the card paid for itself probably just as the GTX 680 was being released.

Hopefully not. I think AMD has recuperated some of its R&D costs so it won't be so aggressive with pricing, but then again the whole company is having financial woes. Although they have competition from nvidia, prices aren't that much lower a year later - the 7970 GHz edition still goes for $450. You can imagine that if a 8970 is at least 20%, it's no small stretch for AMD to charge $550 again (and, unfortunately, bitcoin mining is much less profitable now).

very insightful thank you!

it will be interesting to see what happens now that they have these financial woes definitely.

Back