Next Unreal Tournament Game Will Be Free

I think it's going to be decent (just gut feeling, but we'll see...) That said, I do love all of the nickel and dime jokes. :D

I'm sure you can tell by the politics-related threads that a big chunk of the forum is aging, but it's not nice to call people senile old farts. Some of them are pretty spry and witty for their age. They're really funny too.

But yeah, changes outside of a comfort zone tend to be sorta resisted by people as they get older and I don't think the forum really pulls in new members very quickly because of the market segment it appeals to so resistance to change is gonna stay a common theme even when there's a free game.

But have you notice the young gens are Long girly hair with neckbeard basement dwellers? :p

Oh COME ON!!!

~Ellis_-_Profile.png

:D

Oops... image embedding doesn't seem to like PNGs or something...

I'm failing... badly...
Ellis_-_Profile.jpg

I felt it was worth it though.

Epic making big and interesting plays lately.

This sounds pretty rad to me.

I'm sure you can tell by the politics-related threads that a big chunk of the forum is aging, but it's not nice to call people senile old farts. Some of them are pretty spry and witty for their age. They're really funny too.

But yeah, changes outside of a comfort zone tend to be sorta resisted by people as they get older and I don't think the forum really pulls in new members very quickly because of the market segment it appeals to so resistance to change is gonna stay a common theme even when there's a free game.

Well, when people act like they forgot both their reading glasses and their logical/analytical brain at home, then senile old fart actually describes em fairly well.

Its a bit nicer than just calling them crackheads.

Age is supposed to give you some experience. Experience "should" tell you that things change.

If people want to stick their head in the ground and pretend their head aint stuck in the ground.... I prefer calling them out on it, Heck who knows, they might not be aware of it ;)

A completely free game could potentially give great control, flexibility, and power to gaming clans/communities, allowing them to build their server environments and attract like-minded players, build reputations, etc. This is something that nearly all non-Source-based projects have spurned over the past few years and the result has been a watered-down PC experience.

On the other hand, a completely free game will likely be rife with hacks. Will Epic run some sort of anti-cheat, or will it be up to modders/plugin coders/server operators to take care of that aspect of the game? Will the game require an account to play? A Steam account?

If done right it could be a boon to PC gaming. It could also just be a big mess.

So...they are the passionate about the game, but they don't want to give it an honest go? Do they really think the franchise is that dead that they won't be able to sell enough copies to fund a proper release title?

All this hype leading up to the announcement, and then they do this. And its not like its even close to being done, they are just starting. :( What have they been doing for the last 7-8 years? Okay, new engine and some fancy tech demos. Fortnight, which all but fell off the map, and....??? Is it literally all Gears work?

Disappointed.

Jeebus, is this the thread for the old-senile-farts-stuck-in-a-rut-thought-wise?

It sure as heck sounds like it.

You know, young whippersnappers like you think you are so dang smart.

There are a lot of great things about getting old like getting perspective and learning about life and people and how things tend to get suckier over time. We will see how you feel when you can't lick a frech fry without paying a damn microtransaction.

And you know, there are other things. Like being able to fart while you walk. The ability to selectively hear or not hear your wife. Being able to re-chew your food any time of the day. Endless wiping and rewiping....these are all good things!!!

Im curious to where this will go as I have always loved UT from 99-2007.

Or 37... Either seems pretty young-range to me, but then I do start seeing comments like in this thread and start to wonder... :D

Well, considering I paid $50 for UT that was just a couple of maps and had no story, well, this is a pleasant surprise.
If they screw it up, I don't have to lay it, but free is always nice.

The ability to selectively hear or not hear your wife.
I'll stop you right there! Wife, significant other, or mate. Someone you have to take your face off your smartphone for 5 minutes to actually "interact" with. That whole 20 something gen is screwed. See it all day at work. Make good money, don't pay rent, buy toys, play on smartphone------whole generation of lonely future 50 something Cat Lady/guys . lol Wife, you seriously cracked me up bro!

UT is going to suck as all past transaction games have. Even games like TitanFall that want you to buy their "Season Pass" are going to fail. Remember buying the game and getting free maps few months down the road?? No, but our generation does! And the company didn't go broke giving us free stuff or Map Packs. If people looked at their bank accounts from all their "game transactions" from even Candy Crush upgrades to Season Passes and downloadable upgrades, its astounding how much they make on this crap! That's why games like Diablo 3 are still a hit 2-3 years later. With all the expanded quests, gear upgrades, and tweaks, RoS was a really good expansion that has a lot of people back into it. That's gaming done right.

Oh and before all the Titanfall kids scream how well its done, this was suppose to be the game that put Xbox One over PS4. Didn't happen. Nor will it with Halo.....

free? so it's going to be crap.

All the past UT games were built around a specific formula... and "free' wasn't part of any of them. They need to stop "trying new things" and just do what's PROVEN to work.

there goes another great series that's taken and just thrown in the trash because some corporate douche fuck had to open his mouth in a meeting with a dumb idea.
Nothing like a positive attitude right?
I mean, look at games like tf2. That game is free and Huge on steam right now and valve makes a ton of money selling mods and things like that on the workshop.
I think it's worth a shot and there's no reason it'll just be crap by default, epic isn't exactly known for making crappy software.

Back