Next step above "gamer" routers

Do you mind saying why you think so? I'm looking at their site and it's very interesting.

RouterOS has a ridiculous amount of features, many of which aren't offered in PFSense. Their hardware is very solid as well.

Good point, that is interesting. The other thing I considered though is that the X700 uses ~50watts because it's a pretty old device and essentially a full PC, whereas the Mikrotik uses ~10watts. Of course, the Mikrotik has a higher up front cost, but energy cost in NYC can be a bit pricey. Decisions, decisions...

My pfsense atom box uses 30w, measured with a killawat. And that is the old 330, i think the newer ones are a bit better with power.

My pfsense atom box uses 30w, measured with a killawat. And that is the old 330, i think the newer ones are a bit better with power.

According to their specs here it uses 50w, but that could be at peak load. A guy in this thread measured his using 53w with a hard drive installed.

Thanks, this will be handy I ever need MPLS for cheap. I think I'll try RouterOS in a vm this weekend, been playing with Astaro but I miss the traffic shaping of pfSense. Are shaping rules hard to set up in RouterOS?

I haven't done a lot of QoS with it. Just buy one of the RB750s to play with. They're ridiculously cheap, for the price.

Also, it's not just the MPLS stuff, there are also a lot more options for routing and other features.

yea I see that now, thanks for the info. I'm still learning routing, I was asking you more to gain insight than to avoid google searching.

Ah, okay.

I bought an RB750 to replace an 1811 at a relative's house. The 1811 was running BGP over a GRE tunnel to my home router (2811). The RB750 dropped in without any issues. I changed the tunnel from GRE to IPIP and the thing has been solid for months. So for ~$40, I replaced a >$1k Cisco router. Obviously there are things the 1811 can do that the Mikrotik can't, but there are things the Mikrotik can do that the Cisco can't. The RB750s are stupid small too and use very, very little power. If I didn't need voice stuff, I would replace my 2811 with an RB750G (or one of the new wireless 750s, probably).

I would NEVER push Mikrotik to any customers, but I think it's great for home use and probably a solid choice for SMB too.

That helps, I have been looking for decent router for my parents and was leaning at a old pc with pfsense but that sounds much better.

FYI, we just got a Ubiquiti UniFi at work, it's still in the box but it says 300Mpbs MIMO if that helps.

I've got a tiny miniITX Atom N270 with dual gbit ports running pfSense now. I'm seriously thinking about selling it off and grabbing a RB450G. I love tinkering with shit too much. ;)

Do I -need- a Windows machine at any point when dealing with a Microtik setup? I have none and I am not looking to buy one.

I too am really close to pulling the trigger on a 450G, it will be really nice to not a have a VM router so the house can still have internet when I mess with the ESX host. I wish it had proper OpenVPN support but I can always use a vm for that. Is it true you give up wire speed in the switch-chip if you use vlans?

I find it funny that the unifi claim 200 Mbit "real speed" but only give a 100 Mbit Ethernet port.

I find it funny that the unifi claim 200 Mbit "real speed" but only give a 100 Mbit Ethernet port.

One client alone can barely max out that 100 mbps (I have seen 20 MB/s though) let alone if you have multiple wireless clients.

Maybe the wrong thread, but is anyone interested in trading a 450G or similar for a small Atom system running pfSense?

Vito thanks for getting me onto Mikrotik. The company we share our building with is a wireless ISP and guess what, they use a ton their devices. I stopped by and they gave me a 150 for free. Not bad at all so far.

Back