Next-NEXT generation...comments please. =)

DogChainX

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so we have dual core CPU's out now. Gaming won't take much advantage out of them right now, but what about when the R600 (or whatever it is by then) comes out after the r520?

Right now I have a pretty good Athlon-M @ 2500Mhz, and a 6800 Ultra. I would have gotten a x800 XT PE at the time if it weren't impossible to find it. Anyways, i'm thinking i might skip the r520/G70 GPU's and wait for the next GPU from ATI or Nvidia. By then I hope a lot of the newer games will come out with Dual Core support from AMD, and Windows XP 64-bit will have hit a growth spurt in support.

What do you all think? Whats gonna happen in the NEXT-NEXT generation?

We could all be dead by then. :) Live now and enjoy. I'd keep what you have until the new generation (G70/R520) arrive, then sell your existing card towards one of those. Nobody has info on the cards after the G70/R520 atm.

what about the next next next gen?

might as well start guessing about the cards in 2010, or 2011, or 2012........

all i know is the video cards in the year 2363 are capable of projecting solid holograms in an array of holoemitters called a holodeck

well if we go by how much video memory is on vid cards now. ......256 is out now......ati will be what 512. so well looks like a gig of video will be next and play ut with all the eye candy turned on lol.

well a ps2 will keep people happy for around 5 years as its launched in 2000 hence i rather burn cash for a pure game machine than a vid card or PC which needs upgrading here and there..... the original ps kept people happy for a good 6 years before ps2 came out.

so speaking of next gen, im sticking to the xbox360 AND PS3 as both will be worth the initial investments as they dont need upgrades on the hardware side..... cept for broken controllers and misc stuff. Next NExt generation proof....LOL

:p just my 2c

I'd say ask ATi and nVidia. If you don't get an answer then we have no answer.

or

ask theinq they seem to be full of answers.

well, the only thing i know of is that both companies will be supporting Shader Model 4.0 through WGF2.0, though longhorn (which is what it will be released through) has been delayed like 20 times so far so theres no telling when having SM4.0 will matter. Microsoft has promised it to be the next big thing in graphics since DX started. Though i think summer 2006 is a safe bet to see OpenGL 2.0 junk and SM4.0 support integration. Other then that who the f knows.

Speculation says there will be a DX9.0x version released beyond 9.0c before they make the jump to WGF. Dont really see what it matters though, nothing else to look at. Might as well be saying "its going to look really really good in the future".

From what i've heard Longhorn will ship with WGF 1.0 which is DX9.0L (still SM 2.0/3.0) at the end of 2006.

WGF 2.0 will come later which is DX10 (SM 4.0).

Of course things can change between now and then.

Brent_Justice said:
From what i've heard Longhorn will ship with WGF 1.0 which is DX9.0L (still SM 2.0/3.0) at the end of 2006.

WGF 2.0 will come later which is DX10 (SM 4.0).

Of course things can change between now and then.

Why arent you at E3 :confused:

Back