next macbook pro reamp....WHEN????

Hey everyone. I leave for penn state main july 1 for some summer classes and i am selling my desktop and getting a new mac book pro for college. My question is does anyone know when the mac book pro is due for a refresh with video card, cpu, etc... should i wait a month or just get one now? I was told that they may be using the new ati hd2600 series graphics cards which would be insane?

WWDC is June 11th, which is when a revamp is expected.

Hey everyone. I leave for penn state main july 1 for some summer classes and i am selling my desktop and getting a new mac book pro for college. My question is does anyone know when the mac book pro is due for a refresh with video card, cpu, etc... should i wait a month or just get one now? I was told that they may be using the new ati hd2600 series graphics cards which would be insane?

Most folks reckon WWDC will have new MBPs (and maybe new iMacs), no-body knows how dramatic an upgrade it will be, the main rumors are that they will have the new led backlit screens (thinner, brighter, tougher than traditional fluorescent) , and use Intels new "santa rosa" platform.

No word on graphics, but it seems likely that if they go with Santa Rosa/CentrinoPro then they'll go with the matched intel "onboard" solution "GMA X3100" I have no idea how much that sucks compared to ATI or Nvidias mobile solutions, but it is DX10, which doesn't really mean much on a Mac...

Edit: I hope they don't go with GMA.

This is all total speculation, but I don't see any way that they'll go with integrated graphics on the MacBook Pros. Keyword is Pro. A large % of people using these things need discrete graphics, and Apple knows that. If there's one group they're not going to alienate, it's graphics professionals.

Most folks reckon WWDC will have new MBPs (and maybe new iMacs), no-body knows how dramatic an upgrade it will be, the main rumors are that they will have the new led backlit screens (thinner, brighter, tougher than traditional fluorescent) , and use Intels new "santa rosa" platform.

No word on graphics, but it seems likely that if they go with Santa Rosa/CentrinoPro then they'll go with the matched intel "onboard" solution "GMA X3100" I have no idea how much that sucks compared to ATI or Nvidias mobile solutions, but it is DX10, which doesn't really mean much on a Mac...

Not just games use DX10, programs will use it too eventually.

I think his point (and rightly so) is that DirectX is only for Windows, and hence DX10 (or any other version) doesn't really matter for OS X (not that it hurts of course).

I can see them switching to the HD 2600 Moblie card. Better preformace, lower power consumption, and HD DVD/Blue Ray abilty to reduce cpu load.

I HIGHLY doubt they will put onboard graphics in the Macbook Pro. These machines are designed to be mobile workhorses, and the majority of the target audience demand a powerful GPU. I'm sure the next MacBooks will have the X3100, but the MacBook Pro? Come on now..

well theres the signs already popping up of a MMP upgrade. If you to apples site on the refurb page they have a bunch of pros up for like 30% off, the same thing happened right before the MB upgrade..

well theres the signs already popping up of a MMP upgrade. If you to apples site on the refurb page they have a bunch of pros up for like 30% off, the same thing happened right before the MB upgrade..

i dont think this has anything to do with it. these machines are in and out of the refurb store all month.

something is coming soon though, hopefully

i dont think this has anything to do with it. these machines are in and out of the refurb store all month.

something is coming soon though, hopefully

this is the first time ive sen these pros that cheap , ive been following the refurb store for a while now

I think his point (and rightly so) is that DirectX is only for Windows, and hence DX10 (or any other version) doesn't really matter for OS X (not that it hurts of course).
Not true. OpenGL always implements all the features DX has so it does matter as OS X uses OpenGL. They are a bit behind on DX10 this time around but they'll do it. I might be tempted if they put in 2600 mobile in there (and they fix the dumb 6 bit screen).

I can get the new 15" model down to $1,664.00 with an educational discount and glossy display.

God it's tempting.

I can get the new 15" model down to $1,664.00 with an educational discount and glossy display.

God it's tempting.

That is a glitch on the configuration page that discounts the glossy diplay. If you add it to your cart it goes up to the normal $1,799.00.

is it just me of is this update just kind of ....meh. I was hoping for a little bit more, maybe SSD or a smaller screen size. The LED screen is nice and all, but not exactly groundbreaking and will be common very soon

Not true. OpenGL always implements all the features DX has so it does matter as OS X uses OpenGL. They are a bit behind on DX10 this time around but they'll do it. I might be tempted if they put in 2600 mobile in there (and they fix the dumb 6 bit screen).
It's not really that OpenGL implements features that Direct3D has; it's that they both implement features supported by the hardware.

Back