Next Generation Mac Pro

Yeah I agree, here is the real innovation. This will be beyond affordable but it inspires totally new designs in cooling and modding. The idea might not be absolutely brilliant, but it seems to be executed very well.

If it's any consolation, the Xi3 Piston <not Steambox> has a design that's not exactly dissimilar, so we know it has been done by someone <not Apple>.

Oh, I'm curious of the "thermal core" has some sort of secret sauce inside (vapor chamber?) or is just a huge chunk of aluminum. It doesn't really look like it has that much surface area.

If it's any consolation, the Xi3 Piston <not Steambox> has a design that's not exactly dissimilar, so we know it has been done by someone <not Apple>.

Oh, I'm curious of the "thermal core" has some sort of secret sauce inside (vapor chamber?) or is just a huge chunk of aluminum. It doesn't really look like it has that much surface area.

It's a 3sided "box" of aluminum honeycomb, from what I've seen. That gives it a huge surface area actually.

Also, it appears the cpu/gpu attach directly to the plates, instead of using heatpipes, which should make it a bit more efficient.

Nice design, pity about the non-standard parts used in just about everything except the DIMM slots. Worst culprit is the proprietary SSD.

Nice design, pity about the non-standard parts used in just about everything except the DIMM slots. Worst culprit is the proprietary SSD.

That actually looks like a standard NGFF.M2 SSD, they'll probably start to hit retail channels over the next 6 months or so as mSATA gets phased out in enthusiast builds.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

It was already possible 7 years ago. But you don't want to play games on workstation-class GPU's, it's just a waste of money.

That actually looks like a standard NGFF.M2 SSD, they'll probably start to hit retail channels over the next 6 months or so as mSATA gets phased out in enthusiast builds.
I thought so too, but it isn't:

mac_pro_2013_storage-580x460.png

plextorcesngffandmsata.png

It's also not mSATA:

26b.jpg

Agreed. The first thing I thought of when this was revealed was the old Mac Cube.

g4_cube_front.jpg

Then I thought of the Xi3. Here it is opened up, to see the one big fan at one end.
xi3_valve_steam_piston_1.jpg

I'd like to see more flow through designs like this. It really seems to be the way to go for Thermal efficiency with a low noise profile.

I thought so too, but it isn't

Dang... well, I had hoped that Apple may have kept at least one standard... oh well (I take that back, the ram looks standard... whoop-de-doo, right? :p)

If anything, it should inspire people to build projects like this.

I think it's safe to admit that the design is PERFECT. A workstation at 5.5L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And a very pretty one at that, too.

If anything, it should inspire people to build projects like this.
I doubt many of us could split a mitx into two or three parts.

Like I said before, I've thought about using a pcie flexible riser and forming a triangular prism with mobo, gpu, psu with a large fan on the bottom. But in the end, I found that the best use of space is a sandwich. The new evga ITX case now gave me another idea, the 1u psu would probably be better for the sandwich.

But the best would be if the NUC has Thunderbolt 3 (that's as fast as pcie 3.0 x16) or if the NUC could accommodate a pcie x16 slot.

I doubt many of us could split a mitx into two or three parts.
I don't think we need to pretend we could ever reach 5.5L with retail parts to reach a 12-core Xeon system with 4 slots of RAM and 2 workstation-class GPU's. Take a look at the crowdsourced M1 and the M3A2 cases in this subforum and you'll see this just won't happen. What we can do is take the principles from the Mac Pro and apply them to retail hardware, resulting in a larger volume but similar design.

It's possible, but not 1:1 as almost everything on this Mac Pro is custom. I am very interested to see the first teardown, I'm curious about the heatsink and the PSU.

Back