Next Generation Install Times:

Revdarian

2[H]4U
Well, Kotaku made an interesting article at http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836 testing how long does it take to install a game on the XB1 vs the PS4.

The results are interesting to say the least, here i will put an excerpt:

"How Long Until You Can First Play A Game On PS4 And Xbox OneP

[Since this has been asked in the comments a lot: We recorded these times with the consoles hooked up normally. Even though having the PS4 plugged into the Xbox shouldn't affect anything, we only did that for the video]

Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds
"

PS4 features a fast play feature which allows you to jump into game before it's fully installed. I think people are comparing that to XBONE install times. There's no way AC installed the entire game in 42 seconds on PS4.

It takes a long time to install the digital version. NBA 2k14 takes long on both systems I believe. Hopefully xbox devs work on their install times because its freakishly long compared to the quick ps4 installs. "Xbox watch tv, because this install time is TOO DAMN HIGH"

PS4 features a fast play feature which allows you to jump into game before it's fully installed. I think people are comparing that to XBONE install times. There's no way AC installed the entire game in 42 seconds on PS4.

"Both consoles will let you know when the game is ready to launch. But once you get into the game, some parts may not be finished installing. For ACIV and Battlefield 4, that would mean the multiplayer modes (on both platforms). However, it seems that Xbox One lets you launch a game even before some singleplayer content is ready. I tested this with Madden 25 on Xbox One. Once the game was "ready to start" most modes like Connected Franchise or Practice were locked off until the game was completely installed. However, after installing the same game on PS4, those modes were playable after the initial install, which took 38 seconds."

It is actually a good article and they did test a like to like scenario.

Last edited:
It almost certainly has to do with the fact that Microsoft was making big changes to the One right up until release. That is what all of the reviews seemed to indicate who had the review console for a couple weeks before release. A common theme was patches for the console and games almost every day.

From my experience, every game had a big patch at launch and the updates were far longer for many games, specifically Forza 5. I have four games, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Killer Instinct (which is digital) and CoD Ghost (just curious, I have Battlefield 4 on PC otherwise would have purchased that). The shortest wait was for Dead Rising 3, at around 7 to 10 minutes with a 632MB update. The other games had a 1.3 to 2GB update and took around 20 minutes, while Forza 5 had a whopping 6GB+ update and took hours to install on my 6Mbps connection. Xbox One games seem to install internet updates first and foremost and more than likely do not require a specific install sequence like the PS4 does (ie they install files probably in the order in which they will be needed per level and point in the game). Just my observations anyway.

I was up and playing AC4 within a min after finishing my ps4 update. The game "dinged" when an ac4 update was done downloading and I didn't even notice it had installed it. It was near seamless. I don't even know if the game is actually installed on my ps4, if it did install it, it installed it in pieces or during standby.

Its important to remember that the Xbox One installs all the information and you don't have to use the disc again I believe. The PS4 requires the disk for each game even with installation.

So at least with the Xbox One you just install once and don't worry about disc swapping.

Its important to remember that the Xbox One installs all the information and you don't have to use the disc again I believe. The PS4 requires the disk for each game even with installation.

So at least with the Xbox One you just install once and don't worry about disc swapping.

This is not true. Xbox one still requires the disc once installed same as PS4

It almost certainly has to do with the fact that Microsoft was making big changes to the One right up until release. That is what all of the reviews seemed to indicate who had the review console for a couple weeks before release. A common theme was patches for the console and games almost every day.

Re-read my OP, the first number is a like to like scenario:

Offline-No Update, as the ps4 downloads the updates in the background,

5minutes 50seconds vs 42 seconds.

350 seconds vs 42 seconds, that is bigger than 8:1

The only explanation is that the guys at Sony are Magicians!

Back