Next Generation Cards still AGP?

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
Well here's my situation...

I have about $4k Canadian in my bank account.
And since I'm not buying a laptop for university next year, I'm going to upgrade my computer.

I have settled on the BENQ FP937 19" LCD because my 17" CRT is boring, and I think I will really enjoy a large LCD screen. And also a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 simply because my current speakers/headphones are capable of much better sound quality than my current Sound Blaster Live, hell even my iPod has better sound quality through my Sennheisers.

I was also thinking of a 6800GT. But the problem is that I don't play games nearly as much as I used to and I'm not convinced that I need a new video card. My 9500Pro is still a good card for my purposes, the only game I play very much anymore is Medal of Honor Allied Assault, and the 9500Pro runs that game at 1024 x 768 with eye candy. A new 6800GT is about $560 on NCIX.com, and that's quite a bit of money. My question is ultimately what would you do in this situation?

Also, do you think the next generation of video cards will have an AGP interface for the high end cards? By then the 6800GT will probably be cheaper anyways, but what do you think I should do in this situation? Should I go with a new video card (6800GT, or something else?), or wait it out?

lucky for you tuition isn't sky high in NS like in Ontario...anyway, I have that Benq monitor, got it from BB on boxing day. It's really great, I only wished it went higher than 1280x1024.

I'd recommend a 6600GT, about half the price of a 6800. I see no reason why not to support AGP since there is a large amount of users still on AGP.

poppa said:
lucky for you tuition isn't sky high in NS like in Ontario...anyway, I have that Benq monitor, got it from BB on boxing day. It's really great, I only wished it went higher than 1280x1024.

I'd recommend a 6600GT, about half the price of a 6800. I see no reason why not to support AGP since there is a large amount of users still on AGP.

Exactly, AGP will still be around for quite a while.

Dillusion said:
ATi's new like on cards are and iwll be PCI-E ONLY.

You're an Ati employé? As far as i've heard they're working hard on their PCI-E to AGP bridge...

I just bought what I expect to be my last AGP card...a 6800 Ultra. I would expect by the time I want another card (next generation or maybe the one after that), my mobo will have to be swapped out too, and PCI-E will be the only way to go. After all, the next gen is speculated to be out in late 2005, not this spring as has been the case in the past.

well supposedly nvidia cancelled their last core and the x850 is going to be released this spring right? i don't think we may see next-gen cards untill 2006 :D

It's likely that all next generation cards (except for some models, like those with nVidia's TC technology) will be also released for AGP.

The real question is whether generations after that will see many good AGP cards. Seeing as how reluctant ATI is already to release AGP cards in this current generation of videocards, I kind of doubt that the latest, greatest card two generations from now will be released as AGP, for the very simple reason that such cards are usually bought by fanatic gamers (and people with too much money in general), which are the same people who will already have PCIe systems by then.

Next-Gen cards are going to be both AGP/PCI-E...Most manufactors are prob going to produce one of each, just because too many people still have agp...They would just loose money to the companies that actually do produce a nextgen card for agp...

There is too big of an installed base of AGP users to sell cards to, to stop making them and sell only PCI-E. It would be sheer business suicide.

CastleBravo said:
There is too big of an installed base of AGP users to sell cards to, to stop making them and sell only PCI-E. It would be sheer business suicide.

After all, the lion's share of computing hardware goes not to us, the "enthusiasts," but to businesses in the form of workstations that don't really need cutting edge technology or high performance.

I mean here at GE, they are just now upgrading a lot of the workstations to P4's!

Back