• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Next-gen performance

Seizure Explosion

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
116
Will my computer:

eVGA 7800 GT
AMD Athlon 3500+ Venice
1 Gig RAM
eVGA Nforce 4 SLI edition motherboard
160 GB HDD

Be able F.E.A.R., COD 2, Black and White 2, and Age of Empires 3 on all high at good resolutions (anything above 1024 x 768)? Or at least, is my system more powerful than the Xbox 360? I mean, sweet jesus if I just spent over $800 I want it to be better than a console.
 
the rig u have is fine and it will do what u want it to do

though according to microsoft's information, there is nothing that is faster than the 360's video card as of right now
 
Seizure Explosion said:
Will my computer:

eVGA 7800 GT
AMD Athlon 3500+ Venice
1 Gig RAM
eVGA Nforce 4 SLI edition motherboard
160 GB HDD

I mean, sweet jesus if I just spent over $800 I want it to be better than a console.


WTH... Jesus I spent 700 bucks on just my X850XT-PE, where the heck did you buy all that?
 
silasbear said:
$700?


A gtx can be had for $520 CAN.

Not at launch.... $599 american
Same story for me
X850XT-PE $699 Cnd at launch
Best Buy didn't have the card, nor did any other large store and New Egg doesn't ship to Canada.

I had to buy it on order from Compusmart.
 
Majin said:
WTH... Jesus I spent 700 bucks on just my X850XT-PE, where the heck did you buy all that?



Why do you care if it is faster than a console or not... you buy it and enjoy it not worry about some stupid console... :p and thsoe games u listed.... AOE3 flies on my 6800ultra at 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF max settings.. FEAR should run decently at that res. for you... so yah.
 
Its unlikely that your system will provide the same performance as an xbox360, there someone said it.
 
yes.... and even if u added another 7800gtx... probably still slower... but who knows..
 
Hm. Well as long as F.E.A.R. will run I guess I'll be okay. I wouldn't bother you guys with this except my processor, case, and RAM are in the mail still (Just ordered from newegg) and I'm terribly impatient.
 
Hmm ur processor is a bit outdated, 7800gtx is gonna be held back by a lot. u need at least a 4000+ or a x-2 4200. About it being more powerfull than the xbox 360 is hard. New video game system are always more powerfull at launch than pc because they are made more future proof, something that will last 3-5yrs. 3 intel Xeon is hard to beat.
Pc part vendors wanna get u updated 1-2 yrs. Nvidia or ATI release a new card it is limited by the drivers because they are incomplete ext game show erors in certain games, crashes, exp Nvidia had its upgraded video processing (takes weight of cpu for streaming a video) tilll 5months after lauch. Console makers can't affort to screw up since theyr name is on the line. A 7800gtx will hold u nicely for a while but I would get a cheaper card for now 6800gt o/c or x850xl because in 06 direct x 10 is coming out and so is shader 4.0. Unless u got some bling bling then a 7800gtx will serve u nicely.
 
well all he needs to do is bump his cpu up a few hundred mhz and he will be fine without paying the extra money..
 
Seizure Explosion said:
Will my computer:

eVGA 7800 GT
AMD Athlon 3500+ Venice
1 Gig RAM
eVGA Nforce 4 SLI edition motherboard
160 GB HDD

Be able F.E.A.R., COD 2, Black and White 2, and Age of Empires 3 on all high at good resolutions (anything above 1024 x 768)? Or at least, is my system more powerful than the Xbox 360? I mean, sweet jesus if I just spent over $800 I want it to be better than a console.

I think the rig is pretty good, I have a GTX pushed by a venice 3200 @ 2.6 but even at stock I can play all my games, san adreas, Hl2 BF2 @1680x1050 resolution on max settings with great FPS in bf2 my FPS doesnt get below 87 and averages about 98. Even at stock I get a max drop in fps of about 5-8 in bf2. Also half the games you mention have a demo out so go check out the AoE and FEAR demos out.
 
ellover009 said:
Hmm ur processor is a bit outdated, 7800gtx is gonna be held back by a lot.

I disagree. The 3500+ is a great CPU with a lot of overhead for overclocking and the 7800GTX will slaughter any game out.
 
yeah but a 400+ can o/c higher. i mean it will hold u back a little. not too much.
Still ur system kicks ass. Maybe a bit more ram would help
 
At resonably high resolutions - 12x10 or higher, the CPU wont hold him back in the slightest. In most current games, at higher resolutions, there is zero performance difference between FX-57 and Venice 3200+
 
It wont hold you back at all if you use high res and AA, even a 3000+ doesnt hold a 7800 GTX back in high res+aa, so no, a 3500+ will not hold back a GT.
 
ellover009 said:
Hmm ur processor is a bit outdated, 7800gtx is gonna be held back by a lot. u need at least a 4000+ or a x-2 4200. About it being more powerfull than the xbox 360 is hard. New video game system are always more powerfull at launch than pc because they are made more future proof, something that will last 3-5yrs. 3 intel Xeon is hard to beat.
Pc part vendors wanna get u updated 1-2 yrs. Nvidia or ATI release a new card it is limited by the drivers because they are incomplete ext game show erors in certain games, crashes, exp Nvidia had its upgraded video processing (takes weight of cpu for streaming a video) tilll 5months after lauch. Console makers can't affort to screw up since theyr name is on the line. A 7800gtx will hold u nicely for a while but I would get a cheaper card for now 6800gt o/c or x850xl because in 06 direct x 10 is coming out and so is shader 4.0. Unless u got some bling bling then a 7800gtx will serve u nicely.

Actually CPU doesn't matter with a GPU like that. 3500 and 4000+ would be identical when played with that video card in games like F.E.A.R.

Calling the 3500+ Venice "outdated" is laughable.

As for the "3 Intel Xeon"... what are you talking about?
 
robberbaron said:
Actually CPU doesn't matter with a GPU like that. 3500 and 4000+ would be identical when played with that video card in games like F.E.A.R.

Calling the 3500+ Venice "outdated" is laughable.
Yes it does. It limits your playability at 1024x768, duh. God baron, get with the times...EVERYONE pays $500 to play 1024x768 with 300fps+ at all times.
 
tsuehpsyde said:
Yes it does. It limits your playability at 1024x768, duh. God baron, get with the times...EVERYONE pays $500 to play 1024x768 with 300fps+ at all times.

Quake 2 looks awesome on this 9 year old CRT :cool:

Thank god I'm not CPU limited now! :rolleyes:
 
robberbaron said:
Quake 2 looks awesome on this 9 year old CRT :cool:

Thank god I'm not CPU limited now! :rolleyes:
I prefer duke nukem. Pixels > Polygons. But my 3000+ is such a bottleneck.
 
tsuehpsyde said:
I prefer duke nukem. Pixels > Polygons. But my 3000+ is such a bottleneck.

I bet you got that 3000+ from some loser, too. Who the hell would be mean enough to sell you that POS?
 
robberbaron said:
I bet you got that 3000+ from some loser, too. Who the hell would be mean enough to sell you that POS?
Yeah, I got it from someone who thought a 4200+ was faster for gaming than a 4000+, so they sold me this POS. God, I can't stand all of the unbearlable FPS at 320x200 in Doom. I think I might send it back for a refund.
 
tsuehpsyde said:
Yeah, I got it from someone who thought a 4200+ was faster for gaming than a 4000+, so they sold me this POS. God, I can't stand all of the unbearlable FPS at 320x200 in Doom. I think I might send it back for a refund.


I'll straight up murder you, you gigantic jerk.
 
Back
Top