Next Best mouse to buy?

Then does that mean that people who use LCD monitors aren't serious PC gamers? Cuz CRT's are by far faster then LCDs.

I'd have to say so.. this is one man's opinion, but if you take a walk through any CPL match in 2006--a time when LCD tech was widely accepted and no longer considered on the fringe--all you'll see are CRTs.

LCD/wireless users are 2nd rate enthusiasts.

Anyway, my MSIE 3.0 came and the thing is a fucking beaut. It's identical to the old version, clanky scrollwheel and all. The improved teflon skates on the new 3.0 actually are better in terms of glideability on my QcK+ steelpad. I'm in love. I recommend this to everyone.

Immediately after plugging it in I could feel the superior tracking compared to my old MX518.

The logitech optical mice, from my brother's optical MX300, to my optical MX518 and even the laser powered G5 all have a serious problem:

When tracking down a 45 degree angle all of these mice exhibit a serious flaw, which I call the "going down stairs" effect. When dragging the mouse in a perfectly straight path, the cursor actually jumps down 3 or so pixels on the X axis, then 3 or so pixels down the Y. In other words, it looks like the cursor is tracing a flight of stairs.

I encourage all logitech mice users to try this. I have tested this on 3 different computers, in different USB ports, and with USB polling tweaked from the default 125 to 500 and 1000MHz. The problem remains in all cases, on all computers.

In the FPS games I play that require tracking this completely screws my game and it's even more bothersome in Photoshop, where precise brush/erase/etc. movement is essential.

Try it yourself, move your logitech mouse down in a straight line at an angle. kinda like this: \

Has anyone that ordered a Death Adder gotten a shipping number yet? People in the UK are getting theres already and they have em in some stores.

I think mine is at the local post office I will let you know tomorrow though

The logitech optical mice, from my brother's optical MX300, to my optical MX518 and even the laser powered G5 all have a serious problem:

When tracking down a 45 degree angle all of these mice exhibit a serious flaw, which I call the "going down stairs" effect. When dragging the mouse in a perfectly straight path, the cursor actually jumps down 3 or so pixels on the X axis, then 3 or so pixels down the Y. In other words, it looks like the cursor is tracing a flight of stairs.

I encourage all logitech mice users to try this. I have tested this on 3 different computers, in different USB ports, and with USB polling tweaked from the default 125 to 500 and 1000MHz. The problem remains in all cases, on all computers.

In the FPS games I play that require tracking this completely screws my game and it's even more bothersome in Photoshop, where precise brush/erase/etc. movement is essential.

Try it yourself, move your logitech mouse down in a straight line at an angle. kinda like this: \

you basically described the "digial" problem that spans virtually all mediums of digitization.

i just tried this for about 5 min and only after i used my keyboard as a guildline and using the edge of my desk as a straight edge to line up for a rough 45 degree angle.... my mx510 was shifting down one or two pixels on my screen yes. but one pixel at a time on my 21" monitor @ 1600x1200 that single pixel is.... so fucking tiny that its virtually irrevelant. for gaming that would be the difference between hitting somebody in the left nostril or right nostril at 100 feet. i mean, common now...

i havnt used a MSIE in several years but i never remember it being that much superior to any other mouse i've ever used like you are preaching. i might go to best buy and the guys to hook em both up for me, sometimes i can talk them into things like that.

Has anyone that ordered a Death Adder gotten a shipping number yet? People in the UK are getting theres already and they have em in some stores.

I ordered on Monday and I haven't received mine yet, and frankly I'm beginning to doubt the competence of Razer as a commercial retailer to the general public.

you basically described the "digial" problem that spans virtually all mediums of digitization.

i just tried this for about 5 min and only after i used my keyboard as a guildline and using the edge of my desk as a straight edge to line up for a rough 45 degree angle.... my mx510 was shifting down one or two pixels on my screen yes. but one pixel at a time on my 21" monitor @ 1600x1200 that single pixel is.... so fucking tiny that its virtually irrevelant. for gaming that would be the difference between hitting somebody in the left nostril or right nostril at 100 feet. i mean, common now...

i havnt used a MSIE in several years but i never remember it being that much superior to any other mouse i've ever used like you are preaching. i might go to best buy and the guys to hook em both up for me, sometimes i can talk them into things like that.

Replace 3 pixels with more like 5 pixels. And it is HARDLY irrelevant if you use photoshop, in fact it's crucial, and because this flaw is more apparent in logitech mice than other optical/laser based mouse (my MSIE 3.0 does not have this problem at all), it can be said that logitech mice are inherently flawed and inferior.

I know the grid effect describes "digitization", and that there is no perfect diagonal line on a monitor-only a grid of pixels lit up to appear that way-but that discussion is moot: the main point here is that logitech mice, seemingly all of them, probably from some kind of engineering miscalculation, are flawed and inferior.

i just ordered my deathadder last night .. got a tracking number today .. razer is the slowest shippers tho .. but right now they are the only way to get it

i just ordered my deathadder last night .. got a tracking number today .. razer is the slowest shippers tho .. but right now they are the only way to get it

You got a shipping number!? I preordered and I still don't have a shipping number! What the hell is going on?

You got a shipping number!? I preordered and I still don't have a shipping number! What the hell is going on?

yea i got mine today .. so ill prolly end up getting it sometime next week .. even tho its just 1 state away from me

LOL

nevermind that i just logged into my account at razer and it seems they shipped out 1 thing i ordered .. but it doesnt look like the friggin mouse shipped .. razer is such trash

yea i got mine today .. so ill prolly end up getting it sometime next week .. even tho its just 1 state away from me

Lucky! lol. Keep me updated. If you don't mind, what state is it in? Maybe mine is sitting next to yours lol.

It wasn't the mouse that came it was stuff from bestbuy that was ordered last year in Decemb er.. I also preordered mine but am patiently waiting

Can anyone update their impressions of the DA? My finger is itching for a new mouse... My MX1000 just doesn't cut it for my low sens gamestyle. :(

Same here -- that mouse is hideous. The side-tilting scrollwheel makes pressing mouse3 some kind of dexterity test. I returned mine after 2 days.

Very true. Although, sheer laziness of driving back to Best Buy made me get used to it instead.

Now, after 2000dpi G5 and 1800dpi MX518 on my Linux and Windows boxes, everything feels sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

I got my deathadder.. it feels nice! fits my hand perfectly.. haven't played any games or used windows with it but the feel is nice.. I'll update further on my experiences

Very true. Although, sheer laziness of driving back to Best Buy made me get used to it instead.

Now, after 2000dpi G5 and 1800dpi MX518 on my Linux and Windows boxes, everything feels sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

I know what you mean, but some gamers don't want the inherent acceleration that those mice make you use. The only way to turn off their acceleration is to install SetPoint, tell SetPoint to leave mouse movement "OS Controlled", and install the cpl fix or any other winxp mouse acceleration fix.

hey im thinking about buying a g7 sometime in the future, where there any specific reasons why you dont want to use it anymore? (i would be using mine for gaming, i hate wires)

I have used the carbon fiber G7 for a few months and love it. I have used MS Optical mice and used the swear by them, but I now prefer the G7 by far.

I do a lot of photo work and gaming and it works great for both situations. Amazingly it does not feel wireless at all and for me is more precise as there is no cord to lug around. I also like the DPI switch location and it is very easy to switch with.

I had a wireless MS mouse that lagged like crazy and the scroll wheel was stiff on, the G7 has neither. Also the step problem described above is BS at least for me. I use my G7 in photoshop and fireworks all the time and do fine pixel by pixel work with no issues at all. If you are having trouble, try decreasing the DPI and zooming in more.

Overall the G7 is an awesome mouse that feels like its wired and fits my hand perfectly. It takes a bit of getting used to, but now is the most comfortable mouse I have used.

Works great with my Razer Mousepads and SteelSeries Mousepads as well.

I got my deathadder.. it feels nice! fits my hand perfectly.. haven't played any games or used windows with it but the feel is nice.. I'll update further on my experiences

The mouse has a phenomenal shape and physical feel to it, but notice two things: the lift off distance (the distance above the surface where it still tracks) on a black surface is over a centimeter and the mouse has positive acceleration no matter what measures you take. It will be a fantastic mouse all around if they can fix this. The lift-off distance is awful.

Am I the only one who is annoyed by the high pitched whine of the Logitech MX310/510/518 (and probably more I haven't heard). I can hear my MX510 at arms length away with several computers running. Try putting your MX up to your ear and tell me you can't hear anything. It comes from the IR transmitter for the scroll wheel. Just want to warn anyone with sensitive hearing before you run out and buy one of these most popular mice.

I need to make the drive out to a computer store so I can try some mice and get rid of this noisemaker. 2 thumb buttons, clicky scroll wheel, and slightly less height than a MX510 is what I'm looking for. Anything other than a Razer DeathAdder, and MS intellimouse 3.0 I should be looking at?

Hey, I do notice a high pitched whine from my MX518. I never noticed it until you mentioned it.

Its not that bad at all though if I have to strain to hear it, really when I use public transit, the trainstops have an ultrasonic hawk calls that are supposed to scare the pigeons away, its like 1000x louder than this, and I swear only two out of maybe a hundred people can hear it.

I currently own (in order of preference)

Fatal1ty Pro Laser
Habu
Copperhead
MS IE 3.0
Logi G5
Logi MX 500
Logi MX Rev
Fat 1010

Yes, the fat pro laser on a razer exactmat is currently leading the pack. something about it's shape and size just feels, idunno, right.

The mouse has a phenomenal shape and physical feel to it, but notice two things: the lift off distance (the distance above the surface where it still tracks) on a black surface is over a centimeter and the mouse has positive acceleration no matter what measures you take. It will be a fantastic mouse all around if they can fix this. The lift-off distance is awful.

I have that same issue.. I strafe from left to right and need to stop for the shot to be accurate (CS / DoD) my copperhead makes the shots.. not the death adder and I believe I'm having the same issue/issues

i currently have a MX500 and I am thinking about going wirelss, I like logitech hardware but I dont think I will get a G7, I will either get a MX1000 or I seen a logitech cordless at officemax that was like the g7 but had 2 side thumb buttons, cant remember what it was called.

I'm using a G5 carbon on a ratzpad xt mousepad and it's reallllll smooth to me compared to my mx1000.(MX is still good, just getting old...have it as a spare).
The only annoying thing about the g5 is the battery life which while kind of short, isn't really that hard to live with. (like 10-15 seconds tops to change).
I used to love corded mice, but after the cats chewed on the cords or i kept running them over with the chair, wireless was the way to go for me.

I'm using a G5 carbon on a ratzpad xt mousepad and it's reallllll smooth to me compared to my mx1000.(MX is still good, just getting old...have it as a spare).
The only annoying thing about the g5 is the battery life which while kind of short, isn't really that hard to live with. (like 10-15 seconds tops to change).
I used to love corded mice, but after the cats chewed on the cords or i kept running them over with the chair, wireless was the way to go for me.

isn't g5 a corded mouse?

Well, take it from me, I've owned the following:

Microsoft IE 3.0
Logitech MX500 (2 of them)
Logitech MX510
Logitech MX518 (3 of them)
Razer Copperhead
Microsoft IE 3.0 (re-released)
Razer Deathadder (current)

The Deathadder is the best out of all those. The shape, feel, and build quality sets it aside from all the others. Granted, it still has some issues to be worked out (lift off issue has been fixed with a beta firmware, they still need to fix the positive acceleration as well as the middle mouse click issue). My accuracy/precision has gone way up in UT2004, and shock has never been so much easier. Not to mention, in Photoshop, this damn mouse can hold a line! I've never had a more accurate mouse.

So, if I were you buying a new mouse today, I'd buy the Deathadder. Or, wait for the next generation Logitech, whatever it might be.

Just so you guys know, the newest update for the DeathAdder has fixed the liftoff problem.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I do love the MX Revolution mouse.

It isn't as good as a adjustable dpi mouse for games, but it kicks ass for everything else, imho. :)

Bah stupid me...You're right, it's a G7...sorry was tired at the time i was posting. :p
Have had both though, and are good imho.

Now that the drivers have matured a bit, would anyone be kind enough to post some reviews/impressions? Thank you.

Back