Newtork Monitoring/Probe Tool

Verbal Kint

Weaksauce
Network Setup: 5Mbps service from ISP hooked to a wireless router.

I am looking for free software/tool which will tell me which hostname/IP's on our wireless network are utilizing how much bandwidth. I work for a company in the Dominican Republic and the wireless network in the camp is only 5Mbps for 15 users. Most nights our connection is very poor to the point where you can't even open up a web page.

I have a really good feeling that some users are abusing the connection which is ONLY intended for general surfing, email and chat (no video). I believe that some people are downloading via http/torernts, video skyping, tv streaming, music streaming, etc.

I have tested out a program called "Network Probe 3" which was fantastic but it doesn't allow me to add other probes (computers) to track without purchasing an enterprise license for $2500.

Does anyone know of a tool to track what I am looking for?

Thanks!

It isn't a matter if someone is downloading a big file or streaming one. It's because you have a 5Mbps shared between 15 people. You did not even mention your upload speed which I assume is less then 100 Kbps.

So let's look at the math.

5000 divide by 8 = 625

Now let's divide 625 by 15 = 41.7

So each person is going to have a 41.7 (this is not accurate but it's close) throughput. That is like sharing a slower than 56k dial-up connection for each person.

My advice to you would be either limit the number of people that connect or implement a strict QOS on your router.

What are you using for a router now? I would suggest setting up a a spare PC with dual NICs as your firewall/router and run Untangle on it. That will allow you to block P2P traffic and also setup QoS for traffic shaping. You'll also get reports showing who is using the most bandwidth and trying to do the P2P. www.untangle.com
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back