Newsgroup download speeds terrible

ashman

Gawd
So I have two newsgroup accounts, one with Giganews and the other with a EU newsgroup provider Tweaknews, my internet connection at home is 25/10 VDSL and normally my newsgroup downloads on my Mac using SabNZB are between 2.8MB/s and 3.0MB/s. Since yesterday for some reason then have been brutal, barely hitting 1.5MB/s and often dropping under 1MB/s and I can't figure out why. Nothing changed on my end, I have rebooted modem, firewall, Mac no change. I've tried changing from port 563 to 443, no change, I've restarted SabNZB a bunch of times, sometimes its better but it always slows way down.

Tests and speedtest.net confirm my connection is as fast as it should be, downloading other things and surfing is fine. There is nothing on network saturating bandwidth anywhere, its weird.

Anyone else using Giganews having this problem?

When it comes to Usenet and speed there are usually only 3 factors:

1) Your own speed (speedtest can easily verify the problem)
2) Too few of connections (usually would be a long-term problem and immediately noticed from Day 1 with the provider. Increasing the connections usually resolves this to a point. Don't run 50 if 5 maxes out your speed already).
3) The provider is having issues. Usually a simple ticket will verify this issue. You can also verify by switching servers as you've done (U.S. to EU or EU to U.S. even switching form SSL to Non-SSL). Basically the problem can be local or global. Changing servers will verify which one it is.

BONUS: r/usenet

Very active and you can always get immediate responses from people on the same provider as you if a problem is recognized.

Yes I opened a ticket with Giganews, its just a very strange problem.

What does this mean: BONUS: r/usenet

Yup got a reply already, looks like other people are having issues with Giganews too, thanks guys!

Back