Newly built Computer won't turn on

I'm building a computer for the first time and I had some problems last night. So I made a thread about it here asking for help: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1093328

So this morning I wake up to give my pc another go but something happened.

I tried turning my computer on again this morning, I hit the power button and I hear this weird glichy sound towards the back of the computer near the power supply. Kinda like when you unplugg a tv thats on and the you sorta hear sparks. So I quickly turn off the computer and I then I smell something weird. Almost like if something was burned...a very light smell. Now my computer won't turn on anymore.

What could be wrong? Is my computer fried, or is it just the power supply?

You probably won't be able to answer that question definitively without doing one of two things:

1. Trying the power supply in the non-working system in a working system.
2. Trying a different power supply in the non-working system.

mrjminer said:
You probably won't be able to answer that question definitively without doing one of two things:

1. Trying the power supply in the non-working system in a working system.
2. Trying a different power supply in the non-working system.

Okay I did what you recommended.

I tried the 430 Watt on the old computer and it didn't turn on. I then grabbed an old 300 watt power supply from an old computer and it worked on my newly built computer...the computer turns on. Does this mean everything is fine now? I have the following things on my new computer:

Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 ghz
GeForce 6600 video card
400 GB Seagate hardrive
CD-Drive

Would it be safe to stick with this 300 Watt power supply?

You might be able to get away with the 300watt for the time being, but here's something i would try with the 430watt power supply. I have a neo he550 and once when i was upgrading my computer it wouldn't turn on, but i would turn on with another power supply just like yours. So i was going to rma it because i thought it was dead, but just before i was going to send it i decided to try it once more to see if it would turn on, and it turned on. The only thing i could think of that would cause this is that some kind of breaker inside the ps tripped and the only thing that will change it back is time. And if you can't get that to work rma it, antec is pretty good about defective products.

Take a paperclip and connect the green wire on the 20- (or 24-) pin connector to any of the black wires. See if it turns on that way. I'm guessing that the answer will be no, but try it anyways.

Back