• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Newly built computer failing.

Aceharding

n00b
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
28
Alright, I've built a computer from scratch before and it worked fine. But when built another computer for a friend, it won't start up bios.This is what I have:

Intel Celeron D 336 Prescott 2.8GHz LGA 775 64-Bit Processor w/ Execute Disable Bit

Linkworld F3131-C2628-P4 Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - Retail

BIOSTAR PT880 Pro-A7C LGA 775 VIA PT880 PRO ATX Intel Motherboard -

pqi POWER Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JB 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard

MadDog 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model

GeForce 4 Ti 4200 AGP 4X/8X

I put in the proc and the heatsink/fan on just fine, I put in the RAM just fine, I put in spacers and hooked up the DVD Drive and the Hard Drive on the same ribbon connected to IDE port 1 and hooked up the floppy. I set the jumpers correctly and turned on the computer with everything connected. No Video output...

The all the fans are spinning. The CPU fan, the Video Card fan and the case fan but no video output. I can't even see BIOS. I tried switching to a PCI ATI video card but still the same thing. I noticed on the front of my computer case that my floppy drive and mt dvd drive's light are on so I tried pressing eject on the dvd drive to see if it would spit out the tray, but it doesn't.... but the light is on... and won't turn off. :confused:

Any suggestions please? :(
 
Have you tried without the CD or hard drives? Also, have you made sure that the RAM sticks are in correctly? Many, if not all, motherboards do not allow dual channel RAM to work correctly if the sticks are in consecutive slots.

One more thing. Why are there spacers? I have never seen a spacer used in newer systems. I know my teacher has talked about them before, but I have never actually used one.
 
I'll try it without the hard drive and cd drive and see waht happens. The spacers are there because if the motherboard circuits touches the case, it can and probably will fry the motherboard and the chip.
 
Make sure your BIOS is set for the proper video output device. Also, don't connect optical devices to the same IDE channel as your hard drive(s). It will severely limit the performance of your machine.

If you still have trouble, start barebones (just the CPU and mobo) and if it boots, add components from there.

(BTW the "spacers" are called standoffs.)
 
If another video card doesnt work, try reseating the CPU and RAM.
 
I put in the proc and the heatsink/fan on just fine, I put in the RAM just fine, I put in spacers and hooked up the DVD Drive and the Hard Drive on the same ribbon connected to IDE port 1 and hooked up the floppy. I set the jumpers correctly and turned on the computer with everything connected. No Video output...

The all the fans are spinning. The CPU fan, the Video Card fan and the case fan but no video output. I can't even see BIOS.

Kinda hard for him to get into the BIOS without any video output huh????

Are you getting ANY kinda beeping?

I agree with enginurd, it may be the CPU (or possibly the motherboard itself, are you sure it's mounted correctly?) If the memory was bad or not installed properly, the system should beep. If the videocard was bad or not installed properly, you should also hear beeping, not hearing ANY beeps, usually indicates a bad CPU or Motherboard.

I'd remove the motherboard completely from the case, install just the bare minimum (CPU, RAM, Videocard, Power Supply & keyboard) and see if THAT will boot. Double check your "spacers" (they are called motherboard standoffs) to make sure you aren't shorting something out.

Good Luck
 
Kinda hard for him to get into the BIOS without any video output huh????

:eek: :eek: :eek: . Ummm....duhhhh. Yeah, a little oversight on my part. Slightly hard to pick menu selections you can't see. Oops there!

Had display problems way back when with my Ti4400 and the rear contacts not seating correctly in the AGP socket. Make sure ALL of the contacts are firmly inserted and until you get it working don't screw it to the PCI slot as that sometimes pulled the rear of the card out just enough to be an issue.
 
Yeah, I'm not getting any kind of beeping whatsoever. So should I go ahead and RMA the Proc and the Motherboard?
 
If you've already reseated the CPU, and it still doesnt work, then RMA the motherboard first. CPUs rarely come DOA.
 
Ok, take the motherboard out of the case. Make sure you are using the new cables and the Blue cable is in the blue hard drive (Ide1) slot. Boot it only with the video card, ram and Hd. It should boot. Set your HD to master.
P.S. When the power lights on the floppy and Cd rom come on and stay on, you usually have the ide cables upside down.
 
Check the speakers on the correct header.
Clear the cmos just incase its set wrong.
Double check its at 533 not 800 FSB.

Then try and boot without the vidio card in
Does it give you the bad vid card beeps ?

Then replace vid card and remove memory.
Does it give you bad memory beeps this time ?

Luck ................. :D
 
Back
Top