• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

newly built... choppy video

bounds

n00b
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Messages
4
Hi Everybody...
Well, I've been out of the PC building arena for awhile, and have decided to get back into it... (Doom III looks fun!)
Well, here is my setup:
AMD 3500+ 939
K8N Neo2 Platinum Motherboard
1 GB Corsair value select ddr
ATI 9800 pro
Seagate 80GB SATA HD
Pioneer 10X dvd
with Windows XP home edition and service pack 1a

I dont have any games yet, so just as a test i tried to play a dvd, and it plays very choppily. both audio and video. I am just using the motherboard on-board audio. Could this be the problem? I am stumped, but I assume an ATI 9800 pro should be able to handle dvd decoding. Is there a hardware decoding setting that I am missing??

the other problem doesnt have to do with video... Every other time i turn the PC on, it freezes at the user select screen. the mouse pointer wont move and the keyboard wont respond. I reset the PC and everything works fine. This happens every time i turn the PC on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!
K.C.
 
your random freezing problem is also probably bios related. are you running your bios settings at setup default???

when i first got the board i left it at defaults and couldnt even install windows without a freezeup.

what i had to do was go in and disable stuff i wasnt using and actually tighten ram timings and a few other things

the defaults loaded like some sort of 4449 settings and the ram/cpu didnt like those when i switched to 33310 they were stable.
 
I had the same choppy DVD video/audio problem on two machines. In both cases, the problem was solved by enabling DMA mode for the drive's IDE controller channel.
 
Back
Top