Newguy with a cooling question

msjones

Weaksauce
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
71
Hi,

I have a Core 2 Duo E4600 in my machine. With the stock fan the idle temp was around 35C and 50-60C full load.

I have replaced this with a G-Cool lite HSF and now th temperature is 19-25C Idle. When I load up "core temp" it shows different temps for each core eg. Core 1 = 22C Core 2 = 19C. Is this normal, or have a not applied the thermal paste correctly? Are there good temps or should i remove the HSF and re-apply paste?

also while im here, will this cooler be adequate enough for me to overclock this CPU to 3GHZ?

Thanks
 
Small variances are normal in multi-core processors. An answer to your other question, those temps are great. I overclocked my e2200 with stock cooling when idel temps were 35C, so you will be fine.
 
Thanks for the quick reply, and its good news too... brilliant!

One last question on overclocking. My CPU is an E4600 @ 2.4GHZ with x12 multiplier, so all I have to do is increase my FSB from 200MHZ to 250MHZ to give me 3GHZ?

Will I see a significant increase in performance? And will I need to change any voltages? I read that this CPU from 2.4 to 3 shouldnt require any voltage alterations but I just want to check and make sure.

Thanks!
 
You won't know unless you try.

Give it a shot and try to run orthos for about 8 hours, if it doesn't give you any errors then you're fine.

There's a nice OCing sticky on these forums about OCing C2D's, you should read that and then post any questions you may have after reading.

Good luck.
 
Watch your memory speed and memory multiplier as you change things so as not to exceed the memory speed rating without taking necessary steps (loosening timings or increasing memory voltage). Depending on your rated memory speed, it should be easy to find a good combination. You have a lot of performace locked up in that CPU that can be easily unleashed with no loss of reliability or stability with a nice conservative OC.
 
Im back again :)

right so i have got a new case, an Aplus Blockbuster Storm. I have all my bits inside, airflow appears good. I cant use my G-Cool lite HSF so I am back to stock.

Im idling at around 30-35 and at full load I have seen temps go upto 50-52. Is this normal for my chip? (E4600)

Can anybody recommend a good HSF I can use in this case?

thanks!
 
bump??

OK so i cleaned my HSF, re-applied the thermal paste and now im still idling around 34. and 50-52 when encoding/gaming... is this safe? Ive not seen it go over 50c.

When redoing the paste I used an blob about as big as a grain of rice and spread it using a plastic card.
 
OK so after alot of reading and forum surfing I have found that room temperature plays a big part of system temperature (obvious if you think about it :)) My room is alot cooler now an my temperatures are down a few degrees. I assume my temperatures are about average as the maxiumum for this CPU is 70c?
 
Yo MSJONES,

I just built a computer using the same CPU E4600. I've been searching everywhere to get more info on what's normal CPU temps. As you did, I put a rice sized ball of thermal paste (cheap generic stuff from compgeeks) and then spread it very thin using a plastic card.

When the ambient temp. in my room is about 65F, I'm getting the following temps:
24-26C @ Idle
45-50C @ Load

This can fluctuate a few degrees as the room temperature makes a difference. So I'm getting pretty much the same Load temps as you. I've also been reading up on the web and I think you're correct in saying the CPU max temp is 70C. Some O/C'ers are willing to go as far as 60's with their stock fan.


Here are some charts for you to compare:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-scythe-ninja-copper-cpu-cooler-review-8.html
NINJA COPPER COOLER REVIEW

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ch-igloo-5750-silent-cpu-cooler-review-9.html
ANOTHER COOLER REVIEW w/ stock fan temps
 
Back
Top