Newer processors wont run as hot?

xyoufailmex

Limp Gawd
Im just wondering... my A64 rig is running nice and cool at 29C idle on air... my old 900 Duron would idle at near 60C and it ran fine for 3-4 years... still running now actually, just sitting around though. I never ventured to see what the load for this thing was, but it makes me curious to find out why newer CPUs don't/won't run this high. I mean... if its not a big deal, I'll go pump 1.7vCore through this thing and enjoy 45C idles...

So really, I guess, my question is... are people too protective of their CPUs? Is there room for a bit of recklessness? At what temps have we seen CPUs burned?

Thanks.

Im not sure how hot, But when i got my AMD 2700xp I was to excited I didnt care about my old 1900xp so i just applied pressure to the top with a heatsink (no compound) and 1sec into bootup i saw a small indian style smoke signal coming out and thats that.. :p

xyoufailmex said:
Im just wondering... my A64 rig is running nice and cool at 29C idle on air... my old 900 Duron would idle at near 60C and it ran fine for 3-4 years... still running now actually, just sitting around though. I never ventured to see what the load for this thing was, but it makes me curious to find out why newer CPUs don't/won't run this high. I mean... if its not a big deal, I'll go pump 1.7vCore through this thing and enjoy 45C idles...

So really, I guess, my question is... are people too protective of their CPUs? Is there room for a bit of recklessness? At what temps have we seen CPUs burned?

Thanks.

Newer processors built on the 90 nm process do not take voltage the same way 130nm processors do, and if you crank voltage the same way as you did before, you may find your chippie packs up and heads for the hills before you give it a proper leave of absence.

imog, check his sig, newcastle = 130nm

and that's a really nice temp you have there. i took off my heatspreader and i can't seem to do that low without some outside air.
as for the cpu temp.. people are being really protective.. amd rates these a64's so that the max temp = 70c at the top of the heatspreader, and the core can get higher than this due to the thermal resistance of the IHS
however, one thing you have to remember is that the higher the voltage, the less heat it takes to damage your core.. i don't know the exact equations that govern it, but as a general rule of thumb, for every .1v i give my core, i try to keep the temps 5-10c lower than the rated temp.

xyoufailmex said:

Thanks.

well, aside from temp monitoring being an inexact science at best (put those chips into two different motherboards and you might cut that 30C difference in half).
SOI circuits can have some nasty thermal characteristics, most importatnly what's called self heating. The Insulator acts not only as an electrical insulator (good) but a thermal insulator as well (bad), so active logic can be 10 even 15C hotter (and will remain so for a period of inactivity before it cools down) than a less active part of the chip (like say a thermal diode). Die hot spots were an issue before this (an ALU could have a temp rise double what the cache or low activity spots on the chip did) SOI makes it much worse.

Also lifespan is not simply dependant on temperature. Time dependant dielectric breakdown (a fancy way of saying how long until the physical stresses start to break transistors) is dependant on temperature and Eox (the electric field through the gate oxide, measured in Volts / nm). With oxide thickness shrinking faster than Vdd, for long term (like 10+ years) reliability, it's not smart to just give the chip every high temps and write it off as, 'well the duron took.' A .18u Duron probably had an Eox of around .75V/nm, a .13U SOI chip, it might be closer to 1V/nm. At 125C, the duron might run for 10 years, A K8 would be lucky to get half that.

Yes my amd 3200+ newcastle runs at 28 to 29 C
I also have the venus 12 fan.
and when i paly games it dont go over 39 c.
so iam happy wit the way it keeps cool

Back