Newer OS for an older computer?

unknown

n00b
So my computer is from 2009, and I'm wondering if I'd still be able to get a bit more time out of it by moving to a newer OS or if it's time to bite the bullet and get a new computer.

Current usage of the computer is email, web browsing, and a bit of gaming with most of the gaming being on the indie side of things so I haven't really run into too many problems performance wise.

One issue I have noticed and don't think would be fixed by a new OS is the rollout of html5 and h264 on sites like youtube and twitch. Watching videos and streams definitely uses more resources now, which might have something to do with Firefox blacklisting hardware h264 decoding for the driver/graphics card.

Computer
Vista x64
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
4GB DDR2 ram
ATI HD 4670 512mb
500GB hard drive

Compatibility with your HD 4670 is going to be your issue, you're going to be dependant on whatever driver Windows uses by default as I believe your card doesn't have Windows 10 drivers available for it.

Windows 7 or a variant of Linux is going to be your best bet.

What BulletDust said. Except I would stress to try linux first, then if all else fails get Windows 7.

One could always just get a better video card that has no issues with HTML5/h.264 support, these days even a $30-50 card using whatever Nvidia or AMD GPU on it could do that and obviously support Windows 10 properly and maybe even some light gaming but that's if you absolutely must run Windows 10 which I never recommend. :D

One could always just get a better video card that has no issues with HTML5/h.264 support, these days even a $30-50 card using whatever Nvidia or AMD GPU on it could do that and obviously support Windows 10 properly and maybe even some light gaming but that's if you absolutely must run Windows 10 which I never recommend. :D

The Core 2's are an awesome processor and stood the test of time really well, but these days they're showing their age.

By the time you buy Windows 7, even for [H] forum prices, then factor in the new graphics card - It's hardly worth it.

Put a little more towards it and buy a nice second hand x58 system, x58's still an awesome platform.

If your doing everything legal, you can switch to 10 free still, but 7 will cost you. For the same cost as a retail version of Win 7, you can pick up a fairly recent Core I5/I7 Dell or Lenovo MT for only a small bit more which would come with a Win 7 COA. See Hard Deals Optiplex 780 for details.

For just a bit more, you can get the second hand X58 system like a Dell T3500 or an HP Z400, which are probably the best deal for multi core setups. Older but there not far off from current gen stuff, at an expense of 30-50W more TDP

Would make no sense whatsoever to pay the value of the computer for the OS.

You get Windows from the [H] forum for $20.00 B00nie, it's all legit.
How is a $20 Windows key legit? If it's too good to be true, it probably is. Just because it activates doesn't mean it's legit. G2A keys activate on Steam and we most certainly know they are not legit.

They're most likely just System Builder Product Keys from excess stock, I seriously doubt there's anything not legit about it at this point. All the old TechNet Product Keys have certainly been used up by this point in time - hell I've done contract work at places that had thousands of System Builder COA kits in the past 2 years just sitting in boxes in a closet. They simply don't have any use for them anymore but they being corporate entities won't sell them on eBay or whatever, seems a bit ridiculous since they did pay for 'em, might as well try to recoup some of the capital wasted but whatever.

But my suggestion still stands: a $30-50 video card (something like this perhaps) + a Windows 7 key/license on the cheap = legit and will make that Core 2 Quad come to life once more. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that C2Q, it's still a damned fine CPU even today and will more than adequately, there's really nothing wrong with that ATI/AMD card either except for the fact that AMD has simply decided it's not worth supporting anymore with drivers so that's not something the end user can do anything about. But even a $30-50 new video card, maybe even a few bucks more and voila, it'll be like a brand new system especially if the OP could add a 120GB SSD to it, those can be found for like $40 nowadays and it'll provide great performance overall in spite of that machine supporting only SATA II operation. Another $20-30 for an SATA III add-on card, boom, even more performance overall.

OP, if you don't want the box or wish to invest any cash in it, I'll send you a shipping address. :D

Many companies are selling OEM keys from demolished brand computers. They work but they're not legit.

I doubt very much that the keys are legit. As B00nie stated, they may activate, but I doubt they're in any way legit.

What graphics card is going to suit gaming for $30.00 - $50.00 at any resolution above 1024 x 768? Hardware must be really cheap in the US as here in AU that'll get you a GT710/720, hardly gaming cards.

Did you even bother to look at the link in my post? It IS a GT710 and no it's not the best thing ever but the OP did not specify hardcore gaming as the primary task that machine will be used for, he specifically did state that videos are lagging in some respects and that video card would do wonders for video playback with hardware acceleration which was kinda my point. Yes it's just a 64-bit wide GPU but even so it can game to some degrees but again that's not the major massive #1 Numero-Uno priority. ;)

And not everyone has to game at super insane resolutions; hell I still play Q3A at 1280x800 even though my current laptop can easily handle 1920x1200 if I want and not really have a serious drop in frame rates - Q3A is such an old game nowadays most any video card can run it extremely fast even with everything maxed out in terms of graphics options. The OP did mention "indie games" specifically and most if not all of those are the kind you'll find all over Steam nowadays and their hardware requirements, especially for a GPU, are hardly anything that requires a 256-bit 4GB 800 CUDA core beast machine that'll pull more power than the rest of the entire computer running full bore, I mean really.

Sometimes a good solid working machine that gets the job done is more useful than a "beast machine" that costs an arm and a leg for some folks. The OP did say he/she would like to extend the lifespan of that hardware so my suggestions would all do that easily, if he/she spends a little more money then a better GPU might net some better results but the one I posted will easily fill in the needs expressed and then some.

And as stated, the vast majority of those Windows 7 Product Keys being sold for cheap are excess inventory from System Builder licensees - now, I'm not saying the people doing the selling are actually entitled to be selling them, I knew one guy that literally got ~2500 of them when a startup tanked a few years ago and the owners basically said "Take whatever you want, the rest we'll liquidate at auction..." and they even expressed it on paper to make it legit so he claimed all the licenses he could fit in a box on the way out the door on the day they shut down for good.

It's Windows 7, it's not like Microsoft gives a shit about it anymore, come on. :D

Did you even bother to look at the link in my post? It IS a GT710 and no it's not the best thing ever but the OP did not specify hardcore gaming as the primary task that machine will be used for, he specifically did state that videos are lagging in some respects and that video card would do wonders for video playback with hardware acceleration which was kinda my point. Yes it's just a 64-bit wide GPU but even so it can game to some degrees but again that's not the major massive #1 Numero-Uno priority. ;)

And not everyone has to game at super insane resolutions; hell I still play Q3A at 1280x800 even though my current laptop can easily handle 1920x1200 if I want and not really have a serious drop in frame rates - Q3A is such an old game nowadays most any video card can run it extremely fast even with everything maxed out in terms of graphics options. The OP did mention "indie games" specifically and most if not all of those are the kind you'll find all over Steam nowadays and their hardware requirements, especially for a GPU, are hardly anything that requires a 256-bit 4GB 800 CUDA core beast machine that'll pull more power than the rest of the entire computer running full bore, I mean really.

Sometimes a good solid working machine that gets the job done is more useful than a "beast machine" that costs an arm and a leg for some folks. The OP did say he/she would like to extend the lifespan of that hardware so my suggestions would all do that easily, if he/she spends a little more money then a better GPU might net some better results but the one I posted will easily fill in the needs expressed and then some.

And as stated, the vast majority of those Windows 7 Product Keys being sold for cheap are excess inventory from System Builder licensees - now, I'm not saying the people doing the selling are actually entitled to be selling them, I knew one guy that literally got ~2500 of them when a startup tanked a few years ago and the owners basically said "Take whatever you want, the rest we'll liquidate at auction..." and they even expressed it on paper to make it legit so he claimed all the licenses he could fit in a box on the way out the door on the day they shut down for good.

It's Windows 7, it's not like Microsoft gives a shit about it anymore, come on. :D

That's fine, just stating that depending on the OP's intended usage of the machine I may not actually be worth upgrading. I've used a GT710 for gaming and there literally wasn't a title that played smoothly at 1920 x 1080, however on my smaller 19" monitor under Linux I could play Source 2 based titles at fairly respectable frame rates.

And your right, such cards are primarily intended for light workstation duties as well as HTPC duties and are perfectly suited for HW accelerated HD video playback.

In relation to the cheap [H] Windows licences, I simply believe that it's important that people realise that there is really no way you can legitimately get a Windows licence to onsell for $20.00, excess system builder licences or not.

But, all valid points.

Back