Newegg Tigerdirect and Directron [H]ot Deals...

I hate searching for video cards on Amazon, the results always come up with a ton of random shit in the mix. Otherwise, i usually find what i'm looking for without much effort.

You know, mof the time, these "shady business tactics" are just a customer who's too lazy to actually try and resolve the situation. The whole coupon thing resulted from a number of people who either used the game coupons or never called in. If you call in and tell them that you have an unused coupon, they change the RMA immediately to give you back the full refund. Between me and my friends we have had 3 RMAs involving newegg bundles, each resulting in 100% refund (including return shipping). Of course, we actually call in instead of trying to take the easy way with the online returns. Usually these complaints are from people who are more willing to complain than they are to pick up a phone.

The motherboard issue is a whole different thing, but whenever we do returns we've never had any issue.

It's a shame that they did stop supporting this community, but that's a different beast than RMA.

screw newegg.

Agreed, I remember about 5 years ago when newegg was on top of its game with great customer service and prices. Now they suck suck suck

I'm in the process of RMAing an item, UPS has lost it, neither will do anything about it, each telling me to contact the other,

I will never buy an item from newegg again

I've been on the Fuck Newegg train for several years. It's a long, long train. Get on board.

5 years ago they sent me a defective item. When I contacted them they apologised and immediately sent me out a new item, then told me to just keep the old item (it wasn't expensive, like $20). I had the new item in days.

Now they won't even go to the trouble of emailing UPS to investigate the package UPS has lost. I emailed them a bunch of times laying out the problem... UPS says they "WON'T open an investigation for the missing package unless the person responsible for it requests it, i.e newegg since they issued the RMA"

I had to pretend to be Newegg, use their account number from the tracking number in order to get UPS to look for the item they've lost, something that took several hours on google as to how to find an account number (they still haven't found it or I think have even looked).

Every time I email Newegg they send a stock response that doesn't address anything I ask. All I wanted from them was to email UPS and ask where the package was. They REFUSED to do this.

So no, no circle jerk, Newegg just sucks now, they used to be great, but their customer service is getting down there with Spirit Airlines.

Amazon on the other hand are still great to deal with.

Last edited:
Ok, so what happened to directron, they usually have a code for [H] members and I am about to make a $300 order through them, if I could get 5% off that would be sweet.

Ugh Newegg sucks so hard. They're telling me the item isn't in the package I RMA'd back to them.

Wow, [H] did the right thing cutting them, I hope they never give them any space back here. I'll never buy another thing from them again.

Ok, so what happened to directron, they usually have a code for [H] members and I am about to make a $300 order through them, if I could get 5% off that would be sweet.

Wondering the same thing about directron. I messaged the account on the forums about 2 weeks ago and never heard back...was planning on purchasing something and wanted to see if they were going to get it in stock at the right price soonish.

Never heard back from them. They haven't logged in since a few minutes before the new year, which made me think maybe a deal between hardforum and them expired or something.

Our issues were unrelated. We're back. We had a turn over in marketing staff and kind of a dry spell for having good stuff to post. I am back answering questions as well.

-Lee

I still love Newegg, spent 10+ thousand there over many, many years and not once been screwed and they many times have gone above and beyond to make me a happy customer. Plus I got in on that free Shoprunner deal that makes it more appealing. I am not tied to them though as my shopping is more distributed these days as Superbiiz, Amazon, Tigerdirect, Frys and Mwave also get my business. Comes down to who has the best price on what I want at the time. I sometimes stay clear of Amazon because I HATE, HATE, HATE their site layout and search and I have to pay tax.

I sometimes stay clear of Amazon because I HATE, HATE, HATE their site layout and search and I have to pay tax.
Check out the NewZon plugin from HardOCP. Won't fix the tax issue, but definitely fixes the search problem. Search on NewEgg, buy on Amazon.

You know, mof the time, these "shady business tactics" are just a customer who's too lazy to actually try and resolve the situation. The whole coupon thing resulted from a number of people who either used the game coupons or never called in. If you call in and tell them that you have an unused coupon, they change the RMA immediately to give you back the full refund. Between me and my friends we have had 3 RMAs involving newegg bundles, each resulting in 100% refund (including return shipping). Of course, we actually call in instead of trying to take the easy way with the online returns. Usually these complaints are from people who are more willing to complain than they are to pick up a phone.

The motherboard issue is a whole different thing, but whenever we do returns we've never had any issue.

It's a shame that they did stop supporting this community, but that's a different beast than RMA.

The whole point of customer service is that you should NOT have to call in to get basic service. The golden rule of CS is that by the time a customer calls you, your CS has failed. I am not lazy and I will call in, but I should not have to.

And back the the OP, I did not think directron had any relation to newegg. Maybe I am wrong though.

The whole point of customer service is that you should NOT have to call in to get basic service. The golden rule of CS is that by the time a customer calls you, your CS has failed. I am not lazy and I will call in, but I should not have to.

And back the the OP, I did not think directron had any relation to newegg. Maybe I am wrong though.

Um, what? If you're not going to talk to a person, who is servicing you? A robot?

Tell me what amazing country you come from where robots can handle CS needs. Calling in, and getting the first tier support to complete your entire needs is what good CS is. Calling in and having to escalate into upper tiers is what bad CS is.

Corollary: I'm not trying to say NE CS is bad or not, but having to call in is not a reason for bad CS. Let me give you an example. One of my Seagate drives needs to be warrantied. Their website wasn't working properly for me (would not find my drive for whatever reason). I called in, they asked me my information, my shipping address, and asked me if I wanted an advanced RMA. I said yes, that was the end of it. No questions about what was actually wrong with the drive, as long as I sent one back I would not be charged for a new one. Off the phone in 10 minutes, and that was because I had to go through the advanced RMA process as opposed to a traditional one. Is that still bad CS?

Last edited:
I really wish amazon's website wasn't such a clusterfuck. I feel like when i goto amazon.com I have to know exactly what I'm looking for if I goto newegg i can actually browse. I don't pay attention much anymore to things like motherboard reviews and such. Just seems like amazon is harder to navigate.

NewZon FTW!!!

Does anybody know why Newegg, Tigerdirect and Directron have stopped the weekly STICKY posts with deals and discount codes? they havnt had any since december 10,11, and 12th nearly a month ago. :mad::(

maybe because they got tired of all the critical responses about how it wasn't a hotdeal.

I for one, stopped looking because the deals weren't that great.

maybe because they got tired of all the critical responses about how it wasn't a hotdeal.

I for one, stopped looking because the deals weren't that great.

They were not always too [H]ot but hell, if i was looking for something.... those little extra 10-12% off really helped. im not saying that i got somthing from every hot deal im just saying i missed them when they dissappeared. Honestly, few years back seeing the [H] codes on the NEWEGG item pages i was going to buy is was brought me to this amazing community in the first place. :D

Um, what? If you're not going to talk to a person, who is servicing you? A robot?
Just because you aren't hearing someone's voice doesn't mean you're not dealing with a person. I'm not talking directly to you, does that make you a robot?

And any service issues that can be automated and done online are preferable to most of us than being required to call in. LiveChat and responsive email are both preferable than calling in...they demand less of my time.

Let me give you an example. One of my Seagate drives needs to be warrantied. Their website wasn't working properly for me (would not find my drive for whatever reason). I called in, they asked me my information, my shipping address, and asked me if I wanted an advanced RMA. I said yes, that was the end of it. No questions about what was actually wrong with the drive, as long as I sent one back I would not be charged for a new one. Off the phone in 10 minutes, and that was because I had to go through the advanced RMA process as opposed to a traditional one. Is that still bad CS?
I wouldn't call that bad CS, but it certainly wasn't as good as if their website worked properly for you in first place. They certainly handled their initial failure well though, which most companies don't do nowadays.

That 10 minutes on the phone was a lot better than an hour of runaround elsewhere, but still not as nice as 2 minutes via online automated service.

CS is customer service and in alot of cases robots can do it more efficiently than humans , so I dont care if I am doing it through a web site or a human what I care about is that it gets done fast. There are lots of cases where calling into a phone line is a purposeful bad CS decision by a company, they know that many people are less likely to ask for say free shipping if they are talking to a person, or many people are just busy and will let a broken product sit rather than call in and wait etc....

CS is the whole product / store not just the person you call to when the store / website has failed. The better your CS as a whole the less CS people you need to handle cases.

Here's a crazy idea. Couldnt Kyle setup some sort of page where you can enter an amazon item number and it generates a click through link back to amazon? So the revenue wouldn't have to necessarily come from the links people post but could come from people making their own. A bit shady, but should fill a gap in the revenues.

Love shopping with Amazon but taxes are taking away all the advantages of using them

Back