Newegg sinks to a new low the Encore Tuesday "sale"

Teenyman45

2[H]4U
This is even worse than the Cyber Monday listings. http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/2011/NCRD1129/index.html?cm_sp=HottestDeals-_-ET2011-_-http%3a%2f%2fpromotions.newegg.com%2fnepro%2f11-3684%2fencore_tuesday%2fcategories%2fhottest_deals%2f696x288.jpg

I never new placing an item on a discount sale was an indication to raise that item's price. Newegg is now selling i5-2500K for the "sale" price of $224.99, $5 more than the regular price of $219.99 and $25 more than the usual sale price of $199.99. Camelegg for reference http://camelegg.com/product/N82E16819115072

Much of the rest seems to be whatever did not sell out over the weekend and on Monday.

I just got that email and there is a post about it already o_O.
Glad to see its not even worth going through.

It's been awhile since I've ordered anything from them. Just haven't had the need and really no deals that I can't live without.

Thanks for the info though.

It takes some time after the email for the prices to be adjusted, even then most of the items aren't worth buying.

I still got Malware bytes pro off Newegg. Good thing there is plenty of competition around to shop from if you don't agree with the prices. Microcenter, anyone?

The M6P for $11 is a really good price. Too bad I just bought it for $13 on Black Friday :(

Actually I've never gone out to retail stores on Black Friday before. My friend and I just went this year to see what it was all about... at a fucking Best Buy. We saw labels stating "Was $65, now $55!". Friend whips out iPhone... google same product... found for the same price or less off Amazon.

Circuit City did the same shit before they closed shop. They said they were having a liquidation sale, so they marked up prices and then slashed them back down to the original price. I understand its business and you're supposed to sell for as much as you can get and all... but hey CC, I never had to buy much from you before, and I won't be missing you after you're gone. They made a bad statement on the way down for their customers by doing that.

Anyways I don't want to stray off topic here. I'm done.

Newegg must be feeling the pressure of the economy to resort to such tactics. Can't really blame them.

Newegg must be feeling the pressure of the economy to resort to such tactics. Can't really blame them.

I guess so but this is eggaxtly the reason I loved Newegg before. Now they just do the same shit everyone else does. I end up doing mot of my shopping elsewhere now.

Lets be honest, Newegg has by far the best and really the only site that lets you narrow down a search, see available products and read reviews. So for many people its not just a place to shop, its where they make their decisions. Then they go off and look for the best price somewhere else. I'm sure Newegg is not too happy about those missed sales.

They still have the best price on many things, its just missing from their sales. And I bet the whole Google offers fiasco cost them a bit.

I don't get why you guys care? These lame sales tactics have always been used and always will be. As long as you are smart enough to check prices you will not fall for it. And that has always been how things worked and always will be.

Is this the type of memory I would use in a build next year (looking at first quarter)? I'm planning on an Intel I5-2500k build.

Guys, the fact of the matter is that computer & electronic retailers run off of razor thin margins. They need volume to make up for this. I worked on the floor at a Staples, and you would be amazed at how little they would make selling a PC. I think we made more money selling a 6-outlet power adapter then we did a PC.

I also have a side business, and I have wholesaler accounts setup at various distributors. There isn't much money to be made in this business after stocking, selling/transaction fees, shipping, etc..

Internet sales adds another dimension to it -- Everyone shops your price, and will go somewhere else to save $1 on something. It is a tough, tough business.

I'm just as bad as everyone else. I buy a LOT of stuff from Amazon for both personal and business (Almost all computer, electronics, & related gear), mainly because I get 2nd day shipping for free, they are price competitive, an easy return policy, and no sales tax. When I say a lot, I mean $50,000+ a year. I could probably save a buck or two with Newegg or TD, but I want my stuff quick.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now. I still like the Egg and TigerDirect, I just find it easier to purchase from Amazon and easier for main stream stuff. Specialized I tend not to use Amazon.

Right now: 25 bucks for 2x4GB kit of Ripjaws?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

How much lower can this stuff go?

This has got to be bottoming out......

I'm thinking of snagging this even though I don't have a box to put it in, as I don't think it will be cheaper & i'm sure I'll build some ddr3 boxes for someone over the next year.

If you got the $40 gift card for $20 yesterday, this gets you 16G ram OTD for $30 shipped. Incredible...

Actually I've never gone out to retail stores on Black Friday before. My friend and I just went this year to see what it was all about... at a fucking Best Buy. We saw labels stating "Was $65, now $55!". Friend whips out iPhone... google same product... found for the same price or less off Amazon.

Circuit City did the same shit before they closed shop. They said they were having a liquidation sale, so they marked up prices and then slashed them back down to the original price. I understand its business and you're supposed to sell for as much as you can get and all... but hey CC, I never had to buy much from you before, and I won't be missing you after you're gone. They made a bad statement on the way down for their customers by doing that.

Circuit City closeout was awesome, I would hide the expensive items during the 20-40% off behind crap that noone would buy, then come back when it was 60-70% off and find my item. Scored Matrix BluRay collection for $20 and X-Fi Fatal1ty soundcard for $40 and various blurays for $5.

Guys, the fact of the matter is that computer & electronic retailers run off of razor thin margins. They need volume to make up for this. I worked on the floor at a Staples, and you would be amazed at how little they would make selling a PC. I think we made more money selling a 6-outlet power adapter then we did a PC.
That's why everyone must leave with a Staples Extended Service Plan, the management demands it! :rolleyes:

I never new placing an item on a discount sale was an indication to raise that item's price. Newegg is now selling i5-2500K for the "sale" price of $224.99, $5 more than the regular price of $219.99 and $25 more than the usual sale price of $199.99. Camelegg for reference http://camelegg.com/product/N82E16819115072

I still don't get all the nerd rage hate for Newegg.

$225 a shitty deal for the BX80623I52500K?

Go search the internet and tell me how many reputable online shops, on the entire internet, that has it any cheaper right now. 1? 2? It's $10 more at Amazon.

And that memory deal is smoking hot.

Jesus, some of you just arent happy unless you have something to bitch about

Other than Microcenter Newegg tends to have the best prices on CPU and motherboards due to the combo discounts they offer so along with that and a few hot deals they offer from time to time on RAM, SSDs, keyboards, ect is why i still shop there for certain things. They are also usually the first to get stock on new items like recently released CPU's, motherboards, video cards, ect and tend to get new shipments more than the other major retailers. With Tigerdirect and Amazon you may wait several weeks to get the same item.

Then you have promotions like the Google $20 for $40 gift certs that went on yesterday as well as the $50 off $250 coupon at NeweggBusiness i used to buy a 3930k last night.

I still don't get all the nerd rage hate for Newegg.

$225 a shitty deal for the BX80623I52500K?

Go search the internet and tell me how many reputable online shops, on the entire internet, that has it any cheaper right now. 1? 2? It's $10 more at Amazon.

And that memory deal is smoking hot.

Jesus, some of you just arent happy unless you have something to bitch about

It's not really the price per se, it's their tactics of
1. jacking up the price
2. taking a small discount off of this higher price
3. calling it a "sale"

Newegg has always had an everyday price of $215-220 on the 2500K, and now it's at $225 and being labeled as a discounted price. Newegg's recent rampant douchebaggery business practices are what's being bitched about.

It's not really the price per se, it's their tactics of
1. jacking up the price
2. taking a small discount off of this higher price
3. calling it a "sale"

Newegg has always had an everyday price of $215-220 on the 2500K, and now it's at $225 and being labeled as a discounted price. Newegg's recent rampant douchebaggery business practices are what's being bitched about.

Are you trying to say every e-tailer on the internet adjusts their prices based on what Newegg sets theirs at?

Because the price of this CPU has gone up everywhere, not just Newegg.
If you are saying Newegg is douchey for raising the price on this CPU, then so is Amazon, Directron, and about every other online supplier of this CPU

Are you aware of how supply and demand works?

Newegg has slowly removed itself as my "go to" for parts. Now I end up buying most stuff from Amazon. I remember a few years ago when Newegg was always the price leader. Now they're an afterthought for me.

Newegg has slowly removed itself as my "go to" for parts. Now I end up buying most stuff from Amazon. I remember a few years ago when Newegg was always the price leader. Now they're an afterthought for me.

Same for me especially since i'm charged tax at newegg and not amazon. They used to be far enough apart in price that it wasn't an issue not so much anymore....

Are you trying to say every e-tailer on the internet adjusts their prices based on what Newegg sets theirs at?

Because the price of this CPU has gone up everywhere, not just Newegg.

Are you aware of how supply and demand works?

No, I'm not saying that at all because I wasn't aware that the price has gone up at every e-tailer, just Amazon and NE, TBH. Thank you very much for your efforts of keeping a recent pulse and historical pricing data on the entire internet retail market regarding the 2500K.

And yes, I am fully aware how supply and demand functions, as I used to work in manufacturing/supply chain for 12 years at HP. So I certainly understand the concept based on direct experience.

If it's a supply issue, fine. I highly doubt it really is, but whatever.

No, I'm not saying that at all because I wasn't aware that the price has gone up at every e-tailer, just Amazon and NE, TBH. Thank you very much for your efforts of keeping a recent pulse and historical pricing data on the entire internet retail market regarding the 2500K.

And yes, I am fully aware how supply and demand functions, as I used to work in manufacturing/supply chain for 12 years at HP. So I certainly understand the concept based on direct experience.

If it's a supply issue, fine. I highly doubt it really is, but whatever.

lol, I know it's sarcasm, but still it's a perfect point to this conversation.

Of course I haven't been keeping up with pricing for the 2500K, but that's why the rant.

People see a price on a website for a product..
3 months later people see same product on same website for more money.
**rage about shitty prices**

Did they even bother to look elsewhere?

Sorry to keep the OT derailment. But when I suffered a year at Bestbuy as Inventory and covering merch as relief. We were printing signs that showed the MSRP then the normal price as the sale price for a lot of product.

In fairness, that wasn't Circuit City. That was the liquidation company. They do it, because their responsibility is to the creditors, so they do their best to get as much as they possibly can. With very few exceptions, you should avoid buying stuff at those sales until, at least, the 2nd or 3rd week. The best stuff will be gone, but you rarely find good deals before then.

That said, i got some great CDs at great prices from CC and I got a nice file cabinet for 25 bucks.

Lets be honest, Newegg has by far the best and really the only site that lets you narrow down a search, see available products and read reviews. So for many people its not just a place to shop, its where they make their decisions. Then they go off and look for the best price somewhere else. I'm sure Newegg is not too happy about those missed sales.

They still have the best price on many things, its just missing from their sales. And I bet the whole Google offers fiasco cost them a bit.

Seriously? You do know that Newegg used to run commercial promoting just this with retail stores?

Did they even bother to look elsewhere?

Of course people are looking elsewhere, it's why all the bitching and moaning is commencing. Newegg's legacy was built on giving the consumer the need to *not* bother looking elsewhere because they were the guaranteed best deal. ;)

This is the exact reason I never bother with Black Friday shopping. There are a few good deals here and there, but for the most part it's all a lot of hype.

Same for me especially since i'm charged tax at newegg and not amazon. They used to be far enough apart in price that it wasn't an issue not so much anymore....

and for me its the opposite I am charged tax at amazon and not at Newegg. I still will shop at amazon but I always have to take into account the tax on any large purchase.

As for this "sale" by the Egg why is everybody getting up in arms? I mean their regular deals throughout the year are still many times very good. I still find them to be cheapest for many items.

Of course people are looking elsewhere, it's why all the bitching and moaning is commencing. Newegg's legacy was built on giving the consumer the need to *not* bother looking elsewhere because they were the guaranteed best deal. ;)

A business cant survive on hopes and dreams, you need to make money somewhere. And I'm not just talking about Newegg.

newegg's black friday deals sucked....and i said nothing.

newegg's cyber monday deals sucked....and i said nothing.

now this crap encore "sale" comes around and it sucks too....i cannot remain silent. :mad:

the reason people are complaining is because newegg has lost its focus. ever since they started with their newegg marketplace stuff, the computer hardware section has suffered. they made changes to their website menu recently that made it slightly less useable but who cares, it sure places prominence for their marketplace link. sign up for our newsleter too, don't worry it won't be filled with ceramic knives and electric heaters...oh wait. :rolleyes:

i guess since they went public, they are only concerned with the bottom line now. quick let's push a bunch of home appliances and other crap because our profit margins are higher than on computer hardware. who cares that our company was founded on the basis of providing the best computer stuff for a fair price. let's just piss on those loyal, informed shoppers who got us where we are today.

seems to be the M.O. of corporate executives these days. so out of touch with reality and why their companies are successful that they alienate themselves with stupid decisions. seems that newegg use to be run by geeks for geeks. now you can feel the soulless corporate execs sucking the life out of the once happy geek place known as newegg. :(

Why isn't this in Deal Discussions? (especially considering it's just a rant thread?)

Very simple - don't buy there. Problem solved. Take your business elsewhere.

Funny how a lot of people complain about NewEgg practices yet they're still in business and obviously doing very well.

Microcenter and/or Frys may beat them on board/processor combos but if you consider the price of gas and free shipping (usually) at NewEgg, usually NewEgg is the better option (especially since you're saving on gas and mileage on your car from not having to drive to Microcenter or Frys). I can attest to this when I bought my 2600K+P8P67. Microcenter had a cheaper deal on the two by themselves by $10, but if I factor in local taxes I'd pay more at MC (and that's not counting the gas and traveling).

Enjoy shopping elsewhere. Tiger Direct is still more expensive on most things than NewEgg, and mWave and Directron generally have worse selections and charge more (especially on shipping). What's left? Zipzoomfly? Are they still around? :rolleyes:
Amazon doesn't have as much as NewEgg and unless you pay for Prime, the time in transit is laughable.

Black Friday and Cyber Monday (as a whole) are nothing more than attention getters and headlines for people who've never heard of Slickdeals. :rolleyes:

This is a hot deal. In for 4. Move to discussion please since there wasn't actually any hot deals to begin with.

Yeah, they are pretty terrible lately.

BTW, they did this same thing last year with the Encore Tuesday.

My "favorite" newegg moment remains back in January when I was building a 2600k machine and the prices of the components went up as I was adding to cart. I was pretty much just using standard hardforum approved parts so I guess Newegg was suddenly getting a lot of hits for certain products and knew what to do. Damned if I can be bothered to look up the parts and when I was getting them now, but it did stop me from feeling guilty about checking all prices at Amazon before ordering.

I agree with everyone on the lameness of newegg's sales, except for the BluRay burner/drive I just bought. $65 is a decent price especially when it comes with free media.

A few points since we were brought up-

1) @ Directron we are often less than Newegg by a fair amount and charge tax in less places (only texas).
2) Currently shipping is free (for orders of $100 or more).

As far as the conversation earlier on margins -- Avg operating margin for PC parts is 8% - 10% in the industry. A bit more is possible for certain items where the manufacturer artificially fixes prices.

The actual distribution cost for a 2500k processor right now is $206.50 possibly Newegg gets maybe $2 or so less but not much more than that. Microcenter's cost is similar.

Back