• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Newegg Service On Refurbished Items

Skrying

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
2,851
I'm looking into building another machine that'll do lots of general purpose work and also be a main storage for my home network. I didnt want to spend a lot of money on this so I decided I should look at buying refurbished parts. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with buying refurbished parts from newegg? Any advice or possibly even links to other online stores would be of great help. Thanks.
 
I have no personal experience, but other folks here have bought refurbed items from Newegg and have gotten a KILLER deal particularly in the SFF barebones category.
 
I've bought many things from newegg's refurb, so here goes:

Power supplies:
They fucked up both times, once on a Enermax Noisetaker (they sent me an Antec Truepower :rolleyes:), once on a redundant Enermax (sent me a 350 module in a 400 enclosure with no cables at all)
So i'd be weary of the PSU section

Cards:
Gotta love these deals. LSIU160, bare card but it works great to this day, Highpoint RocketRAID, was lucky and got full retail package, less the SATA/IDE adapters I didn't need anyway

Video Accessories:
Winfast USB TV tuner. Full retail package

RAM:
Kingston PC2700 ECC. Worked great

Now, overall i've been very satisfied with newegg, and even with their return policy that I had to invoke with the PSUs. Shipping the redundant back kind of sucked as it was heavy and I had to pay, but they cross-shipped next day on the wrong PSU the other time. YMMV, but for everything but processors and PSUs, i'd say go for it!
 
Thanks for the replies so far.

The deals on processors seem to be lacking so I'm just gonna go with a cheap sempron OEM. The next item I was looking at was motherboards, there were some pretty good deals in there for those, a few that I would be jumping all over if they werent refurbished, so I have to ask, what is the feeling when it comes to motherboards? Also, what about hard drives? Thanks for the help so far.
 
Trust me, people DO jump all over them like nuts. Refurbished items on Newegg can come and go in 24 hours, easy, especially when it's a good deal on new hardware. I'd only be more wary if I was buying a 5-year-old socket A motherboard.
 
With mobos, make sure that there isn't anything you're expecting to have come with it, because they are bare bare bare. Don't expect anything, not even the mounting bracket for the CPU!
 
Back
Top