Newegg sent me an email about the R9 class action settlement???

c3k

2[H]4U
Okay,

I've purchased a GTX970 from the Egg a few years ago, and I'm aware of the $30 settlement that just got announced. But why would I get notified about an R9 class action settlement? Is the Egg as scrambled as I think it is? Is there ANOTHER lawsuit? I'm not trying to poach more money than I deserve, but it fries my brain to think that I'll get more money. I'm hard-boiled enought that I won't count my chickens until they hatch, but it'd be great to have TWO payouts. It's like finding a...wait for it...Easter egg.

:)

Ken

Okay,

I've purchased a GTX970 from the Egg a few years ago, and I'm aware of the $30 settlement that just got announced. But why would I get notified about an R9 class action settlement? Is the Egg as scrambled as I think it is? Is there ANOTHER lawsuit? I'm not trying to poach more money than I deserve, but it fries my brain to think that I'll get more money. I'm hard-boiled enought that I won't count my chickens until they hatch, but it'd be great to have TWO payouts. It's like finding a...wait for it...Easter egg.

Ken
The rational thing to do in this moment of deep uncertainty and confusion is to buy as many GTX 970s and R9 390s as you can.

I got the same e-mail this morning. Newegg had a blog post yesterday that said this:
The NVIDIA GTX 970 Class Action Lawsuit

by Newegg Staff on July 29, 2016 in Featured Articles
Class action lawsuits are funny proceedings–not funny, haha, but funny, odd. This is certainly the case with the class-action lawsuit brought against NVIDIA. The settlement announcement came out on July 29 and, hold the phone, the list includes a lot more products than GTX 970.

According to a member of our in-house legal team, this happens a lot with class-action lawsuits. Similar lawsuits get bunched together as a matter of convenience and speed for the courts. So, somewhere along the line, a lot of products outside of the GTX 970 were added.

Below is the full list from Whatley Kallas LLP, counsel for the plaintiffs as well as the motion to approve the settlement. Kurtzman Carson Consultants, LLC is in charge of the distribution.

NOTE: Just because you have purchased one of the items below doesn’t mean you are guaranteed $30, other qualifications are involved. Once the judge approves the settlement, Kurtzman Carson Consultants, LLC will make their site live, we will publish the link so you can make your claim.

GTX 980 Product List
<snip>

GTX 970 Product List
<snip>

GTX 960
<snip>

AMD R9
<snip>
They've since took it down.

The rational thing to do in this moment of deep uncertainty and confusion is to buy as many GTX 970s and R9 390s as you can.

Good plan! For every ten that I buy, I could get $300!!! However, I could also be left with egg on my face if it doesn't pan out quite the way you describe.

;)

I wonder if that r9 280 I bought a while ago would count under this. Pretty sure I did buy it from NE. Just have to waot and see.

"
You recently received an email from us regarding a class action lawsuit related to an AMD-based product that you purchased. This email was sent in error as AMD is not involved in such lawsuit. We apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused.

Sincerely,
Your Newegg Customer Support Team"

No wonder I never get notified of instock graphics cards, the fucks can't even send out the correct lawsuit email...

It was a ...mistake?!!??!

Well, based on that notification that there was a class action lawsuit against AMD's R9 series, several events occurred: first, I felt like I was a loser, because I'd purchased a "bad" card, an R9 390. My self esteem plummeted. Second, I immediately cancelled my plans to buy 27 new AMD cards. After all, if they're subject to a class action lawsuit, they must be a "bad actor". That purchase was the linchpin of my business plan. Now, my future plans are in shambles.

And this was all a "mistake"???

Much like the stench of sulfur from a rotting egg, I think I smell the opportunity for MO' MONEY!!! Yep, a class action lawsuit based on the erroneous email about "winning" a class action lawsuit! It'd be a win/win/lose. But since the "lose" doesn't apply to me, it's more like a win/win/win! Woot! Who's gonna sign up and get this easter egg rolling?

(Hey, if you can't figure out sarcasm, irony, and a joke when you read it, don't reply.)

Ken

Back