newegg reviewer claims 48GB on x58

That's pretty intense. I've notified my Virtual Machine running buddy of this. Will post again if he pulls trigger to test on his machine.

Don't see why not. Even though a mobo isn't specced for higher than X dimm density, it's usually possible to go higher when higher density ram is released, right? Guess it might be mobo specific whether these work or not though.

A quick google seems to show that a number of people are trying this now the price is affordable and it seems to be working. I saw one report of a person who only got 32GB in windows (but then missing memory was a known issue on x58 with 4GB modules too) but everyone else I saw trying it reported 48GB working fine.

I don't find it hugely surprising that it works. After all the LGA1366 dual socket server parts are officially supported with 16GB modules.

$405 for 48GB is anything but a fuck load. That's like $8/GB.

Of course - running that much RAM without any ECC basically guarantees data corruption eventually.

In 64 bit Windows Vista and Windows 7 Enterprise and Business/Professional editions the RAM top is 128GB. But I assume having 48GB RAM (although working) on home computer is very overrated.

That's true. I jumped to 24 GB because I was running out of ram with just 1 VM running at 12GB. With 24GB I can run 3 with my normal system apps but get under 4gb while running games and such. I could easily see burning more than 24 if your primarily running vm's and/or using the board as a server platform.

I was not aware that the ram had got that cheap. Last I looked 8GB sticks for my system was about $900 lol.

Don't see why not. Even though a mobo isn't specced for higher than X dimm density, it's usually possible to go higher when higher density ram is released, right? Guess it might be mobo specific whether these work or not though.
Yep, had the same experience two years with G33 and 4GB DIMMs, and using 8GB DIMMs in my backup G45 rig now (Core 2 Quad).

I wonder if this phenomenon occurs on Arrandale/H55 CPU/chipset combos. My brother's system is rated for 8GB total RAM (2x4GB), though with 8GB DDR3 modules now on the market and with 16GB modules on the horizon it would be interesting to see if his computer can support 16GB or 32GB total.

$405 for 48GB is anything but a fuck load. That's like $8/GB.

Of course - running that much RAM without any ECC basically guarantees data corruption eventually.

Only if the system isn't stable or the RAM is faulty.

ECC is for correcting errors that should never happen in the first place.

Back