Newegg Open Box?

What an idiotic reply.

$5 is a perfectly reasonable for an I/O shield. From your PMs to me, I didn't get the impression that you've received any free I/O shields from anyone, making the claim in your reply a flat out lie.

There is nothing whatsoever that entitles you to a free I/O shield. You bought an unsupported, open-box item from an online retailer, and you want ASRock to ship you a replacement part on their dime for no reason whatsoever?

Their web site clearly states that the shield is $5 shipped. Trying to make a big stink about that (claiming they're not supposed to charge because their charges are for warranty service?!) is ridiculous.

i guess i find it ridiculous that everyone else can get free accesories from other manufactor's but asrock being part of asus will not. that's all.

zombeh said:
i guess i find it ridiculous that everyone else can get free accesories from other manufactor's but asrock being part of asus will not. that's all.
So you make up shit and write a ridiculous email?

Their site says $5. The shields are $5. Lying will not make them free. It's your fault for ordering an open box item that explicitly states it won't come with accessories. A 30 second jaunt to the ASRock web site would have let you know that you can expect to drop an extra $5 on an I/O shield.

I would have been happy to pay Biostar or Asus $5 for the I/O shield on an open box item, but I considered myself very lucky that they sent them for free.

I am currently awaiting a refund on a mobo from the Egg. Here is the email I got while waiting for me money...

Dear Valued Customer,
Thanks again for shopping at Newegg.com. We recently received your RMA, and your return has been sent to our Inspections Department for closer examination. We will inspect your product as quickly as possible and email you with the details of our findings. This process may take 1-3 business days; we thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
If you have any questions, concerns or additional information to provide in the meantime, please direct your inquiries to [email protected] or call 1-800-390-1119 (Monday through Friday) during regular business hours for immediate assistance.
Kindest regards,
Newegg.com
RMA Inspections Department
[email protected]
http://www.newegg.com

This was received on 12/12, and I still have yet to hear back, so either they take their job seriously or they dropped the ball. I just tagged them back for info, I want my $140 back. So in regards to past posts about taking a dump in a box, filling it with legos, or whatever, this was a real working mobo that went back and I am waiting weeks for my money to be refunded. Maybe the process is qhuicker if I send them ball bearings or something...

zombeh said:
i've never RMA'd something, do they charge you to ship it back?
They don't charge, the shipping company charges. Depends on the corporation though. For example, I've never paid to ship an in-warranty item back to IBM because they always ship me the new part first and include a return shipping label. However, I've shipped hard drives to Western Digital and motherboards back to NewEgg and had to cover the shipping.

so you have to pay them to send you a dead motherboard, then pay to ship it back to them, then pay for another one if you RMA or if its DOA?

zombeh said:
so you have to pay them to send you a dead motherboard, then pay to ship it back to them, then pay for another one if you RMA or if its DOA?

No, they pay for the return shipping on the RMA. You have to pay to ship the defective part to them though.

zombeh said:
No.

You pay to have them send you a motherboard.

If it's dead, you pay to ship it back and they send a new one to you.

i've been buying some of the open box MB from the egg over the years . most of the time the open box mb's were as good as new . sometimes they had newer bioses on them than the new retail mb's.

most of the open box mb's i've bought were oem --just a plain brown box--no cables , driver disks or back-plates . i have got a few that had all the retail stuff in the retail box . and a few that had some of the retail stuff--but was missing a few little odd and end things .

i would avoid a open box if there are priporaty parts like sound modules that only fit that mb.

i usually won't buy an open box unless it's about half price of a retail new one . really cheap mb's like ecs and asrock have few item's in the retail box so a open box can be a nice deal at half price.

most of the time they have a 15 day DOA . so have everything to test run the mb when it arrives . ram ,psu-vga and cpu .

i have only had a couple of dead open box mb's in the many years of buying them . the egg either refunded my $$ or sent a replacement . on several ocassions --they even refunded my shipping . so my experience with the open box is about the same as the new ones- --just make sure you have everything to run it with when it arrives . :cool:

I've bought Open Box (which used to be called Refurbished) items from NewEgg, I have had good luck and bad luck. The good luck, the item comes in perfect shape with all the accessories. The bad luck, the item is either broken or is missing some accessories. I haven't had any problems making a return to NewEgg on the broken items.

The bottom line is: If you buy "Open Box" items from NewEgg, you should expect that they will come without accessories AND possibly be broken.

Once you receive the package, you should test the item out right away, if there are any issues, return it as soon as possible, as you only have 15 days.

The only open box I ever bought was a a cheap SocketA ECS board I needed because my KT400 board busted a cap.

It came with -everything- and the board worked perfect for a long time. I can't even remember what happened to it, I think I sold it.

and yeah i echo what already was said, except i want to stress that a lot of morons oc their stuff then return it to newegg when it doesn't work. that is why they have a restocking fee now :(
but i only buy newegg open box if i am absolutely sure i don't need the extras, cause i never get them either

I'm actually thinking about taking the risk and getting an Asus P5B-E open box which is almost $40 cheaper. But I'm not sure if I want to or not.

ryan_975 said:
I'm actually thinking about taking the risk and getting an Asus P5B-E open box which is almost $40 cheaper. But I'm not sure if I want to or not.

My advice is simply that if you're using it in a build, make sure it's the last thing you buy. That way when you get it, you can test it immediatey, rather than wait on other parts to arrive. Then if it doesn't work, you'll know in time to be able it return it and get another one. FWIW, the second open box I bought (first one was DOA) has been running a dual 4ghz Pentium-D at 100% load for about a month now(folding machine, folding on both cores 24/7), rock stable. You CAN get a good deal, just be sure to cover your ass and test the piece ASAP after getting it so you don't miss their return period, which is only 15 days from invoice date (so probly 10-11 days from the time you RECEIVE the thing).

waltherone said:
My advice is simply that if you're using it in a build, make sure it's the last thing you buy. That way when you get it, you can test it immediatey, rather than wait on other parts to arrive. Then if it doesn't work, you'll know in time to be able it return it and get another one. FWIW, the second open box I bought (first one was DOA) has been running a dual 4ghz Pentium-D at 100% load for about a month now(folding machine, folding on both cores 24/7), rock stable. You CAN get a good deal, just be sure to cover your ass and test the piece ASAP after getting it so you don't miss their return period, which is only 15 days from invoice date (so probly 10-11 days from the time you RECEIVE the thing).

Yeah, I've got everything I need except the motherboard, ram and CPU. I plan on ordering all three on the same invvoice. Should I order the CPU and RAM first and wait to get them then make an order for the motherboard?

I use those boards all the time. I've bought more than 135 "open box" mb's from the egg. 135 is where I stopped keeping real notes. It was also roughly when they changed the description from "refurb" to "open box" The funny thing is that I only got 3 mbs out of the first 135 with i/o shields. I've bought about 40 more since they became open box and about half have been complete. I just check the tracking and, if it's 5 lbs or more, I know I'm probably getting a complete one. Otherwise, I got to get an i/o shield.

In all of them, I've only had 11 that had some kind of issue, which newegg always resolves completely. Call 'em and they'll always cancel the restock fee. If they do something stupid and you bitch, they'll give you a $25 credit. It's tough to beat newegg.

Well my K9N SLI Platinum is working good so far. Still need to get a IO Shield from MSI.

Any modern exp. to relate?

I'm looking at buying an open box M/B on newegg.

i ordered a artic freezer 7 open box for $21 shipped. I figure there could be nothing wrong with it can there? I mean its a cpu fan lol.

I bought a MSI P35 Platinum Combo, which came with everything except one of the Ram selector boards, but MSI sent me a new one at no cost to me. Board worked great.

I've bought 3 motherboards from them. 2 came with everything, 1 came with the motherboard ONLY.

if i had the time to do RMA's and stuff i might take the gamble buying open box, but the fact they dont test anything pretty much means your luck depends on what the previous owner told newegg what was wrong with it before sending it back.

if i had the time to do RMA's and stuff i might take the gamble buying open box, but the fact they dont test anything pretty much means your luck depends on what the previous owner told newegg what was wrong with it before sending it back.

I would imagine lot of returns are bulk OEM distributors, not individuals... so many open box items can be perfectly fine.

No, they pay for the return shipping on the RMA. You have to pay to ship the defective part to them though.

I had to RMA a case back to newegg (UPS played kickball with it and there was a huge hole in the side of the package and the side panel was bent in) and not only did they pay for the return shipping, they also paid for FedEx overnight on the replacement (which ended up being more than I paid for the case according to their website). This wasn't an open box, so I don't know if their open box policy would be different.

if I were you I'd check out mwave.com open box deals. I ordered an open box MSI Neo2 mobo and they sent me a MSI p35 platinum with the full retail box and every accessory. Then I got an email from them saying thanks for your business and I got a $10 mwave gift card =]

just bought a gigabyte 780g matx open box for 57 bux.. came mint just like new. The retail box and the i/o shield and everything was there. The sata and pata cables were even still heat sealed lol :) Lucky Me!!.

Back