Newegg: OCZ Solid 2 120GB SSD - $269.99 AR + Free 8GB SDHC Card

nsx241

Gawd
The 120GB OCZ Solid 2 Series is available from newegg for $269.99 after $30 MIR. Also includes a free 8GB SDHC Card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7476&cm_re=ocz_solid_2-_-20-227-476-_-Product

The 60GB version is available for $149.99 after $20MIR, and also includes the 8GB SDHC card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7475&cm_re=ocz_solid_2-_-20-227-475-_-Product

I could not find any online reviews, only this post from someone who bought one:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?68493-OCZSSD2-2SLD120G-performance-review

"OCZ said that its Solid 2 SSDs feature up to 125 MB/s read and 100 MB/s write speeds and 64MB of onboard cache."

Not too bad.

I picked up a 60gb vertex from Microcenter for 209 - rebate at 179.99, 30gb was $99 AR

Those benches look really great. But who knows how indicative they are of actual retail drives. OCZ could put fast NAND inside the first batch to increase word-of-mouth, and then do the old switcheroo. I guess we'll know more soon enough. Someone on the OCZ forums is claiming his Solid 2 contains 32nm Intel NAND.

Anyhow, at Newegg there are currently 28 120GB drives remaining, and 86 60GB drives remaining.

Those benches look really great. But who knows how indicative they are of actual retail drives. OCZ could put fast NAND inside the first batch to increase word-of-mouth, and then do the old switcheroo. I guess we'll know more soon enough. Someone on the OCZ forums is claiming his Solid 2 contains 32nm Intel NAND.

Anyhow, at Newegg there are currently 28 120GB drives remaining, and 86 60GB drives remaining.

Every OCZ flash drive I've owned has performed on par with their claims, and I've been able to overclock all my OCZ memory quite well over the years, with no issues. I would expect nothing less from one of their SSDs, but these are so new it might be a different story. Manufacturing variances could definitely impact performance of a completed unit. I would expect that if the unit's performance is horrible, however, that OCZ would take care of their customers.

These use the indilinx controller, same as the vertex, agility and vertex turbo. Should be reasonably fast & support GC and/or TRIM

These use the indilinx controller, same as the vertex, agility and vertex turbo. Should be reasonably fast & support GC and/or TRIM

Makes me wish I didn't spend $75 more for a used vertex yesterday. :(

does this series support trim?

FromTheLou thats the thing the ones you list do support trim...nothing on this drive says it. I am not going by other models to figure out wha
this drive might offer.

Damn I can't believe any of them don't

the review link pretty much sums it up
This is a new drive. Uses Indilinx controller with slower NAND. Per Tony, uses 1.5 firmware like the Vertex, Agility and Vertex Turbo models.
but its new and the test posted sure don't look slower or am I missing something?

Man the old switcharoo...isn't that what made dell monitors great.
God I hope others aren't starting this bs as well.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
anand review link
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3702&p=1
well its the fastest tested..BUT how should we look at it, since the review was a beta and they even stated it was a 1200 controller flashed with 1500 software
And later a 1200 controller (slower) version will be released. So was the 12/31 review of a beta that may or may not be for sale right now?

Last edited:
Not a bad drive. I had a 60GB Vertex. The larger the SSD the better the benchmarks. The Solid 2 is a pretty good deal, you take a hit on speeds though. I would only put this in a laptop. At $300 up front, personally, I'd toss in an extra $150 and pickup the Intel 160GB for a desktop drive.

I sold both of my OCZ SSDs and bought 2 Intel drives.. I think they're superior in daily use but no matter what people get you're going to blow away a HDD. :)

I bit on the 120GB, benches look pretty good, the rebate makes this a decent deal I think. I'll pit it against my Intel SSD's. It's going in a Corei5 laptop anyways. This will be my first OCZ ssd.

just a note: this is NOT the drive Anand reviewed, that was the Vertex 2, this is the Solid 2. Inillidex controller, Samsung / Intel RAM (not quite sure which)

Vertex 2 is Sandforce controller.

Solid 2 still looks like a good drive thou!

It's a great price for 120GB. Even if its a little slower, its definitely worth the move from mechanical for the price.

I really wish I could have snagged that 60GB agility earlier this week/last week. I want something for $2/GB(like the 120GB Solid 2) but I don't have money for that...

We'll find out soon. If anybody finds any other benchmarks for these drives please post links.

The 120GB is OOS atm, obviously its also cheaper than the 160gb because its smaller capacity. Being that this is going into a non gaming laptop I highly doubt I will notice any difference between this and any other high end ssd, however I think I will benefit as the seq write speeds (installing) are well above any of Intel's MLC drive. When I get this drive Im going to install it the the second rig in my sig and bench it against a 160GB X25-m G2 for comparison. Thanks again OP, probably would have overlooked this.

Back